What's for Dinner #26 - 10/2017 - The Tastes of Fall Edition

That isn’t acceptable on any level! Offer a real vegetarian option that is tasty and appealing that those of us who like to eat non-meat options want it as well. Just cruel!

1 Like

Last night, I made what Julie Sarni calls her “everyday dal” which I just love and some basmati. Picked up some tandoori cooked chicken wings from our local Indian spot. The wings were not as good as they can be, but it was easy after a long day of hanging with the grand-scallion.

Tonight, knowing there wasn’t quite enough dal leftover for two real portions, I made some Chana Masala. I was able to use two of the last garden tomatoes and a garden serrano that is now red.

chana masala

my plate

[Small note. My sodium and potassium levels were just at normal today. That is success!]

11 Likes

Gallo pinto, with Salsa Lizano, is truly one of the most perfect dishes!

It is, isn’t it! Also quite simple to make.

Reheated some leftover gallo pinto, with an avocado and some pressure cooker carnitas (used this recipe, worked pretty well: https://www.pressurecookrecipes.com/instant-pot-carnitas/)

7 Likes

Yay you!

too bad about the wings, that chicken LOOKS good…

a couple of Spanish dinners have happened here, as we’re still pretending we’re on vacay…

my tortilla turned out god-awful looking but it tasted fine. EXCEPT on the underside where you can’t see i burned it. oops… still, it was good on bread, as it’s done over there, drizzled with olive oil.

and it was part of this dinner of guiso (stew) de cerdo, which we had there too. i added garbanzos and spinach to mimic another tapa i saw all over.

also more fresh tomato slices with grated garlic, fresh minced oregano, flaky salt, pepper, evoo, and sherry vinegar.

then last night, i made chorizo in wine…

only partially successful, as i shouldn’t have used already cooked chorizo. still, it’s chorizo and it was good.

also, i made salmorejo:

with hard-boiled egg and jamon serrano on top. turned out excellent!

also these amazing camembert-stuffed sweet cherry peppers we had in a market in Granada.

to die for. sweet, spicy ( a little), creamy, fresh. a great little app

and then an outlier - actually saw this on the plane - a video of Nigella Lawson. Feta chunks with nigella seeds (natch), drizzled with olive oil and then sprinkled with pom arils. the saltiness of the feta way overpowered the delicate flavor of the nigella.

still have a couple more dishes i want to try before i’m off the Spanish kick!

12 Likes

The AC is off, windows open and roasted chicken was for dinner. Back to basics, the old standby Zuni chicken

9 Likes

Thanks. Keep that in mind for next time.

1 Like

The parter doesn’t want any meat for now. It’s exactly a week since I got back from holiday and abstaining from meat and alcohol. We don’t have any meals with meat planned until Sunday. But I’m going to the pub tomorrow, Thursday being my pub day.

Nothing fancy today, just what I have in the house. I have got enough pumpkins and squash to last a bunch of meals. This is the first one. Roasted Crown Prince. The other things on the plate are soba noodles and fried tempeh (first steamed to soften then brushed with gochujang. More gochujang on plated tempeh). There was also leftover cauliflower from yesterday. We loved Crown Prince the most today.

3 Likes

Gotta agree. This day in age veg (and vegan) options should be better than a plate of leaves. They put absolutely no effort whatsoever into their non-meat options. Might as well remove the “vegetarian” alternatives all together from the menu.

3 Likes

I actually believe that if there are 6 meat options, there should be at least 3 vegetarian. One dish, and the assumption that all vegetarians like one recipe/preparation, is absurd. If we all like the same things, there would be no reason for a menu for anyone!

3 Likes

Impressive!! Tortilla can be fussy to figure out, i’ve been more successful with thinner ones but it’s actually been a long time since i made one. Salmorejo is awesome! I think of it like gazpacho’s glamorous cousin…

1 Like

Sigh. You and @smtucker are of course SO right!! Unfortunately since it was work catering it was just the cheese ravioli -which i can’t have because dairy hates me - and the greens.
I am often surprised at just how limited vegetarian options (much less vegan) are when eating out, there’s usually something on the menu that works but the bare bones “vegetarian option” is more often than not a version of lasagna, some kind of pasta, a portabello mushroom or veggie burger. Calling ahead for higher end restaurants has worked wonderfully for me in the past, but again a surprising number of them lack any options for a vegetarian main dish.
Anyways, i digress…

2 Likes

My body hates me right now. Maybe the change of seasons is just upsetting the norm or i’m trying to get sick but it’s weird and unsettling.
Therefore i am trying to cram as much produce and nutritionally dense foods in as possible! I sautéed some onion and like five chopped garlic cloves with some coconut oil, then added half a bag of the trader joe cruciferous crunch greens and after that cooked down a bit a half bag of spinach. Added in cubed smoked tofu, a big handful of hemp seeds, and a quick sauce of basically the leftover bits of browned garlic and oil in my pan with a ton of nutritional yeast, gob of dijon and splash of cider vinegar plus lots of black pepper. Sides of miso broth and homemade kombucha. I picked up a few kiwis for dessert since they are high in vitamin c and the oranges didn’t look good.

2 Likes

Not really. This is a food board and this is all about food for people who choose not to eat animal proteins. As you might remember, I have an AirBNB suite in my home and one of the things I offer is a list of vegetarian and vegan friendly places to eat. I also offer gluten-free, dairy-free, gluten/dairy free (man is this one hard!), and vegan options as part of my breakfast offerings. I just don’t believe that diet choices shouldn’t make you a second class citizen. I am an omnivore, but don’t believe that this is the only way to go through life.

3 Likes

thank you! i’ve made dozens of them over the years, all with varying degrees of success, but i really want to make the tall, statuesque ones we find in spain, that are always a beautiful golden color without a hint of brown. don’t know how they do it. although last time i came back i did some research and it seems a lot of them may be using some kind of “cooker” - almost like a rice cooker. i saw pics of it but i’m not sure what it is. but the tortillas in spain all come out like the ones i posted above in my spain pics. mine never look anything like those, as tasty as they may be.

hah - that’s what i wrote in my blog - gazpacho’s sexier cousin. i love the stuff.

1 Like

I love kolrhabi!

Pastas are such a lame vegetarian option, or at least the ones I’ve had are.

I would think catering in NYC could do a lot better than cheese ravioli!

2 Likes

Lame frozen cheese pizza tonight.

I did however make those life changing crackers, which were awesome.

1 Like

I’m making the life changing crackers tomorrow, looking forward to it.

2 Likes

I worked late to get ahead for today so I can stay home to meet the lovely crew who will be assembling the rest of the home gym equipment. I concede. I hate spending money doing things I can do myself but I can’t do this myself apparently and the things I could do, frankly I don’t feel like spending hours of my rare free time doing them on Saturday. The “college hunks” can do it while I watch and then it’s done. Fingers crossed they do it “right,” the control freak in me worries.

Dinner was light and easy because I got home past my usual bedtime. Waffle omelets with bacon crumbles and cheese. Nothing special about the waffling but helps me justify buying a waffle maker when I don’t even eat waffles.

Triple berry frozen kefir with dark chocolate covered ginger for dessert

7 Likes