What's for Dinner #24 - 08/2017 - Hot Summer Nights on Grill Continue

Interesting - I learned this method in the '70’s from an old Michael Fields cookbook I had purchased at a thrift store. My Mother made the worst mashed potatoes - dry, hard lumps and no dairy. Fields method was a wonderful revelation to a beginning cook!

1 Like

I’ve recently begun boiling with skins on like naf. I’ve used a ricer but most often just use a standard masher. And like naf, the variation in texture is not a negative for me. Too smooth and I feel like it’s baby food

2 Likes

rarely.

MariaC, you could still have 2 different things in 1 meal sometimes. We do that often in my house.

The Hakkas brought this to Vietnam and other south east Asian countries. I remember eating this sitting on a little plastic stool on pavement in Ho Chi Minh city. Also ate it in Hakka heartland in China. Vietnamese version has fish sauce in the tomato sauce of course.

With meat for the partner and without for me.

My plate. My meat and alcohol abstinence ends on wednesday though.

Stuffed with mince. Mince has fish sauce, pinch of sugar, salt and pepper.

Tofu puffs are crispy. They cook in the sauce here but without the sauce you just steam them.

3 Likes

Those look delicious - do you have a recipe for the stuffed ones? I found this online, but I have no idea if this is similar to what you’ve made: http://www.hungryhuy.com/pork-stuffed-tofu-in-tomato-sauce/ Also, do you fry the tofu yourself or buy it pre-fried?

I didn’t use firm tofu which needs deep frying. Besides, it’s harder to stuff the mince. I prefer the pre-fried kind as it’s chewy and can take a lot more mince.

The linked recipe looks fine. I don’t add any water or tomato paste to mine. It’s a simple recipe. Try it.

1 Like

Maria, I don’t eat fish due to personal preference and my DH doesn’t eat shellfish due to a mild allergy. I usually make seafood preparations where I can use the same sauce/marinade for both fish and shrimp. For example – teriyaki style, so his fish and my shrimp get marinaded and then cooked (separately, of course). Same sides for both. Other things I do are tandoori style marinade, lemon butter garlic, and cajun rub.

1 Like

great plan, but the BF really doesn’t want to eat anything from the sea at all, 99.9% of the time. so i would have to make him chicken or something and shellfish or fish for myself, and while i could do that, we don’t prefer to have separate meals cooking. just our thing, not a big deal. i was only laughingly cursing him! thanks tho…

Dinner was simple tonight. Leftover grilled chicken, another batch of blueberry muffins, cucumber salad, and a green salad with farm carrots and tomatoes. The last of the peach ice cream will probably be consumed in a bit.

3 Likes

Leftovers here as well. The grouper was not previously cooked but was left over from Saturday. All the sides were previously cooked from other meals

2 Likes

Portuguese chick pea and chorizo stew with sour dough bread:

Cooler weather today.

8 Likes

No photo, but we had bison steaks, grilled corn and tomato salad, and watermelon-vodka slushies. Every single thing was so very excellent.

8 Likes

Last night i had a surprise last minute invite for dinner! Yay :smile: one of my closest friends is also a neighbor and wonderful cook who became a vegetarian just a few years ago. She is russian and rarely cooks russian foods but when she does everyone is thankful! Last night was a chilled borscht, a dill heavy cucumber/radish/tomato salad, and a garlic heavy eggplant dip/spread we scooped up with a sturdy (bakery) dark pumpernickel. Wonderful meal and company.
She vehemently refused my offers to bring something to contribute so i picked up some of the fancy coffee beans she likes yet rarely buys for herself. (Her son is four, morning coffee is an essential!)

Tonight i have secured the radishes, daikon, kimchi, arugala and some smoked tofu for that sesame kimchi radish salad i just can’t get enough of…! Kind of embarrassing how often i have been making this but I’m totally obsessed and just have to let this run its course. and it’s my favorite salad so far this year.

4 Likes

How was it? Chilled was a good idea for summer!

Delicious! Unfortunately, husband isn’t a fan of chick pea.

@mariacarmen I don’t know if I can handle a partner who doesn’t eat seafood…I am thinking more about all the sushi and sashimi. I know a couple, they are friends. The girl eats seafood and vegetables, her partner eats everything, she couldn’t stand even the smell of meat in her kitchen, so basically meat eating is forbidden at home.

1 Like

@naf - when we go out, I eat fish if i want, and I eat sushi once a week with my sister!

2 Likes

Its Greek night!

Lamburgers (large grilled keftedes), Shepard’s salad, summer squash fried in olive oil and baked with tomato sauce, fresh thyme & basil, and cheese:

6 Likes

Summer food! You’ve inspired me, that looks great.

You know i can’t recall having hot borscht… maybe because the hot one usually has meat? It was really delicious, i love the flavor of beets and there was a generous garnish of fresh dill too. Some recipes include potatoes and carrots but hers was just the beets, onion and some cabbage

2 Likes

Yesterday was not an easy one so we went to one of our “cheap eats” restaurants Rincon Mexicano. I had some tortilla soup and a horchata while he had a massive carnitas burrito. They have raised their prices since our last visit so our meal now costs $18.00 plus a generous tip. Still a deal.

3 Likes