What's for Dinner #24 - 08/2017 - Hot Summer Nights on Grill Continue

smtucker, you inspired me as I was thinking of WFD. Tortilla soup sounds like the ticket

1 Like

Forgot to add that there was a little fresh tzatziki for the lamb.

Starting to get the first squash, tomatoes, cucumbers and peppers from the garden, so I suspect there will be a lot of Choriatiki and Insalata Caprese in the future

1 Like

Son is arriving from Amsterdam today at 8:30PM. Dulles airport is 2 hours away. Cook ed20 pounds of chicken and pork adobo, in my 14 liter tin lined copper daubiere pot. That is a lot but I will give some away and freeze the rest. He can then defrost and eat when he is hungry. I trimmed off all the fat from the center cut pork chops, the skins from the chicken legs and thighs as my son has aversion to fat! Browned them in my cast iron skillet, add a bag of pork bones that I had accumulated in the freezer as he likes to have a lot of gravy on his rice. I then add 3 heads of garlic, 2 large caramelized onions, 2 cups soy sauce , 4 tablespoon of crushed peppercorn, bay leaf , 3cups cider vinegar, 1cup shao zhing rice wine, small dried hot pepper and enough water to cover the meat, let it came to a boil, simmered for 4 hours. I may add some hard boiled eggs as my mother does to the recipe too ini the next few days as I have lots of gravy let over. The gravy was nice, not as gelatinous as I liked, so I added some unflavored gelatin to thicken it up , hoping to give the more body, and lip smacking richness.
From picture you can imagine how long it took me ( 108 pounds) to empty my 14 liter dubiere. I dish out all the meat, could not manage to empty the gravy, doing it in stages. There was still a wokful of stock which I will dish out to add to the meat as needed or freeze. Tired, here are pictures, already gave one tupeprwarefull to neighbor who came to pickup after it was cooked.

I have to remember not to use this pot when my son is not around to help.

10 Likes

I’m not showing this to my son, because I love him and don’t want him to run away and beg you to adopt him.

What a beautiful, amazing meal.

P.S. I love your stock pot. :heart_eyes:

2 Likes

Red pepper flakes and lemon zest is a great idea. Now I’m inspired by you. :wink:

1 Like

I have been through much mozzarella these last two weeks. Thank goodness my Italian deli is a ten-minute bike ride away.

How can your son live without you?! You have all this energy to cook for a village! I can’t even imagine if I can lift that pot!

The ones I had were usually warm, even the one I ate in Poland, not sure if meat is the criteria to determine if the soup is cold or warm, once a while I will come across a cold one in summer.

3 consecutives Vietnamese dinners:

Omelette with minced pork and mushroom

Fresh prawn spring rolls

Braised pork ribs - Husband ate this alone tonight

Pork rice soup - my meal, as I think I started to eat solid a bit too early after the recent dental problem, gum complains a bit. So go easy tonight.

There was also a fish salad.

More details in the COTQ link:

11 Likes

Jersey Nite !

Fresh Jersey silver queen corn from the stand down the road; brandywine heirlooms from our garden in a German tomaten salat; summer squash, peppers peas and onions from my buddy sauteed with garlic and finished with a little heavy cream; and NY strip loin with a carmelized soy reduction, herb butter and lemon thyme:

9 Likes

Tortilla soup inspired by smtucker’s post

9 Likes

You rock. East Coast in da house! :wink:

1 Like

:wine_glass::wine_glass:Day boat scallops served on a bed of baby lettuce and some julienned apple. Celebrating the sale of our home with a 10-day close. Plenty of wine to drink .:joy: :wine_glass: :wine_glass::wine_glass: Cheers

12 Likes

A shout out to Linguafood who inspired tonight’ s dinner.
Boneless Chuck on the BBQ … not pictured, mashed potatoes and tomato and onion, made
with really good local Jersey tomatoes.

I would never have thought to do chuck on the grill like a steak, but I remembered
Lingua posted about grilling hers and it sounded so good and they were on sale today …
I didn’t have much time to marinate the meat and needed something that
would permeate and lend flavor quickly and be able to stand up to outdoor grilling. It got a
heavy coating of steak seasoning followed by a heavy application of
gravy master, it worked!
It was like eating filet mignon, prime rib and strip all together, absolutely fabulous!!!

14 Likes

Two inspirations in the last day on this thread! Sometimes I wonder what we hope to do by posting our nightly repas, and this is it, right? Inspiring others on those days when they can’t find their own inspiration, or giving someone an idea on a new way to prepare the thing that they crave.

7 Likes

It’s a tribute to the Beef Council and Ranchers that Chuck Steak on the grill is tender enough to be edible today. 40 years ago this wouldn’t have worked.

BTW, I increasingly find it hard to find chuck (shoulder) in the store. I have the feeling that a lot of this is disappearing into the increasing world wide demand for hamburgers.

1 Like

Frankly I was shocked

Thank goodness for the Warwick Price Chopper, nicest butchers
They grabbed a nice one for me from the back finely marbled all the way through
I see it, it’s just expensive compared to how it used to be priced

1 Like

I did the same thing the night before but made a gringo meat sauce instead of meatballs, sausages were in there and added arugula and mushrooms, no onion. DH prefers this. He had it for lunch again today and there was plenty to freeze.
Regarding the cats … Been there, I feel your pain and ditto! The things we do for love!

1 Like

Absolutely. It’s not just to boast of what we did. These food boards are to share ideas and inspire one another. My take anyway

8 Likes

Chicken of the sea.

9 Likes

Congratulations on the quick sale! Hope your next place is just what you wish for.

1 Like