What's for Dinner #24 - 08/2017 - Hot Summer Nights on Grill Continue

Tonight we grilled some chicken thighs and wings with a mop of Inner Beauty. This was accompanied by more blueberry muffins, sautéed corn with chives, and a Galese salad with a mustard vinaigrette. For me, some of the leftover cucumber salad.

First, a corn beauty shot:

And my plate:

9 Likes

Inspired by Bookwich’s meal above. Store bought puff, layered with Parmesan, lemon zest, thyme, salt, pepper, and red and yellow FM tomatoes. When it came out of the oven, finished with some basil, red pepper flakes, and evoo. Even DH, who does not like a squiggy raw tomato, thought this was delicious. A nice French red to drink.

9 Likes

Very mild tasting. I’m getting ready to cook them up. They are a small flat fish or flounder.

1 Like

Flounder I’ve had. The name sand dab has always conjured the image of a buttery fish enclosed in a thin shell of a hush puppy. No idea why!:thinking:

1 Like

Here is the picture of the sand dabs. Picked up all this from the farmers market this morning except for the little new potatoes. More wine to drink. Cheers

the sand dab fillets cook in under 2 minutes.

7 Likes

Damn that looks good!

I really needed some greens tonight but the recipe i love and wanted to make involves turning on the oven- which is just not happening.
I made some modifications while keeping the same flavors, and from experience used less oil than called for. The tofu i just cooked on the stovetop, i kept the coconut seperate and massaged the kale with the dressing and left it raw. I toasted the coconut in a dry skillet and added in a bug handful of hemp seeds when i mixed it all together. Skipped the recommended rice. Made for a great summery meal

4 Likes

I’m looking at the Robuchon’s potatoes recipe book now, his proportion of mash: 1kg (2.2 pound) potatoes, 250g (0.55 pound) butter, 20-30 cl (0.85-1.3 cup) milk. I tried it several times, it was very good, smooth, creamy but it was very rich, couldn’t eat a lot and especially days my main meal was just mash. Luckily it was over not.

A regular. Convection-baked, so the outside gets kind of crispy. After I cut it in half, I use a fork and mash up the insides using a “semi-folding motion” (like when you fold whipped cream into melted chocolate), getting it sort of fluffed up, then add butter, salt & pepper.

4 Likes

Clay pot braised fish (mackerel, the partner likes this fish).

Tightly packed. Red things are scotch bonnet chilies (to be turned into a chili sauce).

(Will post again to the “challenge” thread soon)

6 Likes

That recipe uses an insane amount of butter. Taste good but super rich

More pesto and roasted tomatoes tonight, this time on chicken burgers, served open faced on toasted English muffins. FYI, those nooks and crannies hold pesto incredibly well! The burgers themselves were some crappy frozen things from Costco, but vastly improved by a sauté in bacon grease and lots of savory toppings.

1 Like

Roasted red snapper with corn and roasted brussel sprouts

7 Likes

Steak and cheese enchiladas:

Salsa Verde, carne asada, blend of cheddar, queso fresca, green onion & leek.

7 Likes

Tonight was what we fondly call “family dinner.” I broke down a leg of lamb from one of this year’s lambs, freeing those lovely, lean muscles which I then cut into 3/4" cubes. Yesterday, I made the marinade using the Olive and Capers Souvlaki recipe and let the meat hang in the marinade overnight. The remaining bits were mixed with three kinds of oregano, parsley and a bit of salt and thrown in the fridge. Today, I ground the bits so make mini lamb patties for my grand-scallion. The meal then included an Orzo salad with the first 16 cherry tomatoes and basil from our garden. Green beans from Kimballs’ Farm completed the entree.

The souvlaki marinade didn’t include any garlic and we really missed it. Spritzing lemon on the meat after cooking was a nice way to get a fresh citrus flavor.

The grand-scallion’s mini lamb burgers:

Souvlaki:

Dessert was more peach ice cream. It is so delicious, but a small portion is enough.

8 Likes

I’ve been craving old school meatballs and sauce. It has cooled down a bit so it is bubbling away. Sauce has onion, garlic, mushrooms and sweet and hot Italian sausage. Meatball are ground chuck and pork, a panade, egg and seasonings. Smells good! I’ve made enough space in the freezer so I’ll have a good 6-8 future meals.

Tomorrow will be a chicken day. Caught a BOGO sale and had 2 $2.50 off coupons. So about $5 for two birds (freenrange, montessori raised:slight_smile:). Will break them down. A few breasts will be SV for sandwiches/salad. Probably spatchcock half of one. Rest will be frozen.

I am now the lone human in the Home for Infimed and Feebleminded Felines. Spending much time, energy, cleaning up after and money on keeping them going. So food has become rather secondary. Finally gave in and ordered a portable carpet cleaner today. Hope someone takes care of me like this if I become infirmed!

8 Likes

Interesting - I often seen a slightly different ratio with 2:1 potato butter rather than 4:1 here. But I think yours seems healthier…!

I also did a bit of research and it seems the milk or cream is added after the butter and potato has been emulsified to lighten the mix just before serving. In standard mash recipes the milk/cream is usually mixed in with the butter - I wonder if this is the difference I was thinking about.

I’ve always mashed the potatoes a bit first to break them up, then add the butter and incorporate that. And THEN add the cream/milk. Mine are usually mostly creamy (I seem to prefer it that way vs. liquidy-creamy as it sounds like Robuchon’s recipe is).

1 Like

I use basically the same method. Drain potatoes then add back to pan and shake briefly over heat to remove more moisture. Mash, incorporate butter and s/p, then add warmed cream. Smooth and creamy but still has a bit of body.

3 Likes

That’s more or less the Robuchon method. Cook the potatoes with the skin on. Drain, peel the skin and break them up and sieve them and put them back in the pot with a gentle heat to remove the extra moisture, then incorporate the cold butter cut in regular small cubes in 2-3 times. Add warm milk and sieve again.

I personally stop sieving, it takes too much time, and I like them with pieces. I also cut the amount of milk.

1 Like