What's for Dinner #24 - 08/2017 - Hot Summer Nights on Grill Continue

It was still warm when I started making dinner, albeit heavily cloudy. By the time we finished eating it was quite dark. Summer is waning fast.

SV octopus tentacles, brushed with Merkén (mixed with some oil) before going on the grill.

SV bavette steaks (seasoned with “Montreal steak seasoning” which I have added a few more things to the grinder).

I like this “surf and turf” combination as it goes well with red wine.

14 Likes

we need a “hubba-hubba” button…

3 Likes

All American BLT !!!

Oscar Meyer bacon, Cali Romaine and Home Grown Brandywine heirloom tomatoes open face on Pechters Rye Bread with Hellman’s Mayo:

To go with we have homemade Manhattan style clam chowder with some home grown Early Girls and lots of Spanish EVO.

We have hit the Powerball in the fresh tomato lottery !!!

10 Likes

Stopped at the stupidmarket on the way home from work for a hot roasted chicken and some Swiss cheese. Made a chicken & Swiss panino with Sriracha mayo and lettuce on sourdough bread. Tater chips alongside. Small glass of wine.

9 Likes

Those are beautiful.
We have been making a lot of these lately, and man
the Jersey tomatoes I’ve been buying at Pochuck farm
are incredibly delicious. I have my sandwich with just the
tomato and mayo, DH gets all the bacon.

Oscar Meyer center cut, thick bacon was on
sale and I bought a few packages. It is better than
I expected, particularly because it isn’t painfully salty,
which is perfect for a BLT because I can still salt the sandwich
the way I want to.

2 Likes

One of my favorite sandwiches … yours looks so good

1 Like

Cleaned out the fridge. Grilled cheese sandwich. Leftover chicken. I’ll be in Mount Shasta with a temporary Studio until I find a house to buy.

6 Likes

@Scubadoo97. Sorry for the delay, but tonight I was entering receipts into my bank software and can now answer the burger question. This time we ground Chuck Roast and Loin Tip Steak for the burgers. We used to add sirloin as well, but since we buy the meat at Costco, that was too much quantity [but DAMN delicious.]

1 Like

Last night was Mexican, inspired by the sheer number of tomatoes that our garden is currently producing. I made chicken and tomatillo sauce from Mexican Everyday, by Bayless and pico de gallo. The chicken was delicious and easy and the results were far more complex than the time invested should have allowed.

The tomatillo sauce for enjoying with the chicken:

Pico de gallo which he enjoyed on some chips:

And the chicken:

I didn’t take a picture of either the chips or the black beans.

We ate the leftovers for dinner tonight.

10 Likes

It cooled off here and so I gave in and made DH his Fried chicken drumsticks “ew” I like thighs and the back. Tomato and onion and wild rice were sides, I just snapped a couple of pics of the chicken because it was late and there was a lot of cleaning up to do. The chicken was coated in flour, egg and heavily seasoned bread crumbs and fried for a few minutes in a combination of grapeseed and olive oil, when it developed a nice color and crust it went into a 350 oven for about 40 minutes … the chicken was very juicy but not my best effort because there was no time to brine or soak. I am grateful that the local supermarket carries a local brand from PA, it was so much better than the commercial brands I have had. Apple bundt cake from Pochuck farm for dessert.

9 Likes

Today was not my favorite day. It started with locking myself out of my apartment (thankfully i am not an idiot and my neighbor friend has a copy of my keys), then to my very early morning dentist appt which was rather unplea$ant, and then to the neverending crisis which is work right now…
got home rather late (see previous re: always a crisis at work) and had a Dinner of Randomness, which is what exhausted cranky single people do apparently.
This included:
Two handfuls of dry cereal (puffins to be precise)
The rest of the fancy olives
Half a cucumber sliced and sprinkled with Everything seasoning
The last two slices of smoked tofu
A handful of sugar snap peas to scoop up the last of the hummus
And a gingerade kombucha.
The last four spoons of coconut milk ice cream will be gone shortly.

Yes, my life is exactly as glamorous as it sounds on paper. :information_desk_person:

10 Likes

You mean it’s not always like this?

10 Likes

puffins, " peanut butter " to be precise :heart:

1 Like

I had an old easy week night favorite last night to use up the last of some things before shopping this week.

Spinach roulade with ham, turkey, cream cheese and super aged cheddar

Cheese and liverwurst for dessert

5 Likes

Made another last night to wrap in foil and bring in to work today for lunch. :grin:

3 Likes

I find the Oscar Meyer cure to be a little sweet to my taste, but as with you it was on sale.

Actually my new favorite bacon is the Trader Joe’s uncured.

I really like the bits and pieces for flavoring dishes.

I am also a big fan of the Schaller & Weber double smoked, but that is reserved for Schwäbian recipes.

love that! i want that to be my new avatar! but not a blond…

how about this?

9 Likes

This blonde…

Is this girl’s mom:

Doink Doink !!

2 Likes

I’ll have what she’s having :flushed:

1 Like