What's for Dinner #24 - 08/2017 - Hot Summer Nights on Grill Continue

i like shrimp heads but the BF doesn’t like/eat much seafood/fish/crustaceans, etc. pork chops sound great!

oops, what happened to my text?

BF turned my leftover 5 spice chicken into tacos, but he went for full-on Mexi, took off the skin, which had all the 5 spiciness. i was kind of hoping for fusiony Mexi-Chinese tacos, but he warmed the meat in chipotle adobo and smeared refried beans on the tortillas. Cantaloupe salad, pan-fried zucchini and sweet corn with butter and cayenne on the side. all good.

5 Likes

Guest for dinner tonight, thought I will turn on my smoker. hectic day running around for free shades from the library to watch with the eclipse . There was a long line, and had to be there for 2 hours.
Dinner tonight was 2 racks of St Louis Style Ribs, rubbed with 1/4 tsp of salt per pound, oiled, then sprinkled with Memphis Dust ( 3/4 cup deminare brown sugar, 3/4 cup white sugar, 1/2 c paprika, 1/4c garlic powder, 2 tbsp
Smoked 270 degrees for 90 minutes then set point changed to smoke till cooked, ( 2 hours) then briefly on grill , brushed with bottled Stubbs BB sauce.
Also had corn, on the grill. Espies con garbanzo, a few raw oyster with lemon ,tabasco sauce and horseradish, and a few smoked oysters with spinach and cheese.
Dessert was David Leibowitz tart with nectarine and raspberry served with a splash of chambord liqueur royal , then whipped cream/ vanilla ice cream .
Served outdoor, no picture of oysters, eaten as it is shucked
Of course red wine

7 Likes

Congratulations! I’ve only ever bought - haven’t gone through a sale yet.

1 Like

Maybe sun dried? In any case, probably good with ice cream, macadamias and fudge sauce.

Dried mangos are also good with ice cream and chopped toasted almonds.

Sunday dinner was Halal cart style chicken and some kabab koobideh served over saffron rice, shredded lettuce, and tomatoes. First time making this type of kabab and it was really good. Started with ground turkey from our FM poultry famer, added diced shallots, garlic, tumeric, smoked paprika, salt and pepper. Cooked on skewers on the grill after resting in the frig for a few hours. No pic because these really were not photogenic. :grimacing:

Last night was korean style short ribs on the grill (marinated in soy, garlic, ginger, brown sugar, red chilies, and apple sauce for 24 hours). Served with herb rice and a raw snap pea salad tossed with a few tomatoes and bits of parmesan.

6 Likes

There’s absolutely nothing authentic or traditional about tonight’s lamb curry, which we’ve been cooking for years.

Onion & garlic - browned. Cubes of lamb neck fillet - browned. Three tablespoons Jalfrezi spice paste - added. Tin of tomatoes added. It cooks until the lamb is nearly done.

Halved new potatoes (par-boiled) go in, along with baby sweetcorn. Now, the baby sweetcorn only came with sugarsnap peas, so they go in as well(which is not traditional even in this house). It cooks until everything is done. Thai basil gets sprinkled on top (otherwise we’ll have no use for the half pack leftover from the other night’s Vietnamese meal)

2 Likes

I love koobideh. The ground turkey idea is very interesting.

1 Like

Congrats !:champagne: Must be a hot item!

If you have been eating it for years, must be good?!
Your post reminds me that I have some sugarsnap peas as well, keep forgetting to cook them.

@meatn3 So sorry about this happening, it is always difficult for separation. Take care.

Me too:

3 Likes

Very tendered pork roast with inserted with sage, garlic in the centre, cooked with onion, thyme, lemon juice, chicken stock and white wine. For a second, husband thought it was lamb! Sided with baked stuffed mushroom. Both delicious.

Nonstop cherry tomatoes :tomato: everyday. Some tartin with ricotta, pesto.

7 Likes

Nice weather today. SV duck legs then browned on the Weber. It’s hard to brown duck legs as there’s no even surface all round. I do the same as browning in a pan: hold with a pair of tongs and brown each corner and surface. Takes some time but you really do want that crispy skin. Tomato salad alongside.

Big flares as soon as the meat hits the grate.

Tomorrow it’s nice again that means another bbq because who knows when it’ll be crappy again. Yesterday was leftovers and steamed fresh corn. So these days it’s just tomatoes and fresh corn.

5 Likes

Is yours a gas grill?

Yes. It’s old and model is discontinued.

Rather a rerun of last nite except more Korean:

Mandoopalooza. Chkn & cabbage dumplings, pork and leek dumplings, pak choi and daikon in soy, pickled bean sprouts, kimchi, and …yes… those are … panko breaded chiknnuggets.

34° C today with 70 % relative humidity so too hot to get fancy.

7 Likes

Found this recipe for corn with green onion oil i bookmarked who knows when, and i actually had both on hand! I lack a grill and have a healthy fear of trying to char the corn over my gas grill, so i just did the corn in a cast iron pan and turned slowly so each side blistered. Skipped the chili and used grapeseed oil and my fishless sauce. This was SO good!! I have plenty of the oil left which i suspect won’t last long with the onions in it. And because corn isn’t really a meal i did a quick savory yogurt side with plain greek yogurt, cilantro, smoked salt, lots of pepper, and some chopped radish for crunch. Kombucha a la carte
http://momofukufor2.com/2010/07/grilled-corn-with-green-onion-oil-recipe/

5 Likes

I have a similar recipe to use on rice. Chopped scallion, grated ginger, oil and salt. I like to use them on plain rice! Very refreshing.

1 Like

I have a charcoal grill, we don’t use it as often, took more time to light up and we don’t always have charcoal on hand. (Our neighbours always ask us to lend them charcoal.) A gas grill seems handy in comparison.

Yes, it’s more practical to have a gas grill. Like all my things, I want my Weber to last forever and ever. If I need to replace some part it’s not possible any more.

1 Like