What's for Dinner #19- 03/2017 daylight savings time means more time to cook

Glad to hear he’s drinking water on his own and at least tempted by the chicken. Having a sick baby is just heartbreaking- hopefully he will feel better day by day

1 Like

Linda, so sorry the baby cat is not well! I know how hard it is when the fur kids are sick. I’ve spent the last 6 weeks with one pup pretty sick. I’ve learned to give weekly B-12 shots, and have adjusted to the prednisone effects (starving, panting, and a lot of peeing )!

DH was working all weekend (Porsche week in Los Angeles) so I spent a lot of time in the kitchen. Today I made ricotta gnocchi with fresh tomato sauce (from the Gjusta cookbooks). We both thought the ricotta gnocchi were way better than potato gnocchi. Sides were sauteed zucchini and wine.

8 Likes

This sounds terrific! Especially with the rice.

1 Like

I can go ahead and grow a full-face beard and wear strange clothes now? The food is normal, the plating is hipsterish. :dizzy_face:

Lemongrass makes the house smell nice. (I actually ate with a spoon and fork. The partner used chopsticks. I found it nearly impossible to eat using chopsticks in this case)

Loosely based on this similar dish I ate in Ha Noi. There was also pork belly, both kinds of meat were submerged in a bowl of thin fish sauce. As with a lot of dishes this also came with an enormous tray of herbs. Place was packed at lunch time. One of the best food experiences I had in Vietnam.

I make it sometimes. Last time there was pork belly.

Pork mince

7 Likes

As always, restaurant-worthy looking food. I’ll be in Yurp this summer again… always open for a dinner invite '-)

3 Likes

Haha… I’d rather you cook and I make the photos.

Just got back to the couch now to finish my beer then I hit the hay. Was in the kitchen making a batch of cucumber and daikon kimchi (separately). Also doing a small test batch of daikon kimchi with some miso paste for the .

It’s almost midnight and I’m smelling like kimchi

3 Likes

@LindaWhit Hopefully your cat gets better, it’s important for a sick cat to drink and eat.

Long time!
These days don’t get a lot of time to cook, sometimes just cheese and bread.
Good news is finally the fridge got fixed! My cat is the primary suspect, he loves to sleep on the top with the heat generated by machine, and it seems his weight lead to some loose connections on the cable board on the top covered with a light plastic cover, the fridge shut down from time to time. A tray is put on the fridge now, and not once it shuts down randomly like before. What a relief!

Yesterday was razor clams cooked with sake and chill sauce with some veggies, carrots, cucumber and mushroom
cooked with rice wine and oyster sauce. Ate with rice.

Tonight, cucumber salad with red onion with grilled belly pork with mustard, I add additional grains cooked with beer, served with potatoes.

10 Likes

Really REALLY not in the mood to cook tonight. But the defrosted chix thighs needed to be used.

Quick marinade of olive oil, Meyer lemon juice, honey, Herbes de Provence, Aleppo pepper and salt on the chicky thighs. Pan-seared, then baked until done. Rice pilaf and steamed green beans alongside.

There was wine. I needed it. Buster needs it, too, as he’s fighting the tougher battle. But he was happy with water from the bathroom faucet. And hopefully there’s some appetite stimulation coming that he’ll be interested in homemade chicken mush (chicken & homemade chicken stock). He took about 6-10 laps of the liquid when presented to him earlier tonight, so fingers crossed.

7 Likes

I don’t know if Buster eats only chicken, but usually cat couldn’t resist can tuna (with the strong smell) and ham. If he doesn’t have any appetite maybe it helps.

Piri Piri chicken thighs and drumsticks , steamed asparagus , fried potato seasoned with Harissa . Wine to drink :wine_glass: Cheers .

3 Likes

He’s been a chicken man since he was adopted. He’s never been enticed by tuna juice. Or the gravy in soft food packets. I’ve tried.

Wild rice with chorizo and pomegranate ( from the Gjelina cookbook).

The rice is soaked all day. Shallots and garlic are sauteed in evoo, then pomegranate molasses and tomato paste are added. Then the rice, thyme, bay leaf and water go in and cook for 45 minutes. Cooked chorizo I and a bit of stock finish it off. I topped it with pine nuts (as opposed to the called for walnuts) and parsley. Recipe calls for pomegranate seeds on top, but I did not have that.

We shared an artichoke and a bottle of wine for sides.

10 Likes

Looks great . I like that using what you have . And most always like straying off the path of recipes . Make it your own .

1 Like

I was just getting ready to suggest tuna water!

1 Like

Poor Buster! Fingers crossed for a swift recovery.

Lamb kebabs, tzatziki and roasted red peppers for dinner last night. Tonight, I’m going to attempt to make some frozen hamburgers from Costco edible. DH bought a big bag of them and they’re just really tough if you grill them, so I thought maybe pounding them out and treating them like cube steak would work. Hopefully a simmer in mushroom gravy will improve them at least a bit!

3 Likes

Beef meatballs with Gochujang and pork meatballs with miso paste and sesame oil, plus some water to thin it out. I don’t have any white udon left but couldn’t face rice 2 days in a row so green udon it had to be. Also tried some kimchi I just made last night. They will go in the fridge later where they keep fermenting slowly for a couple of weeks or so.

4 Likes

Those look delicious

Thanks, Scuba. 2 different types of fermented pastes for contrast in tastes and colours.
Am playing along with the meatball challenge but not following anyone’s recipes.

Got home late from another looonngg day at work. I did the microwave and then oven version of a baked potato with a little russet and then topped with some leftover chili and a lot of cilantro. A side of vitamin c and echinacea/zinc and vitamins since it seems half my office has some sort of sickness.

1 Like

There was fresh bread and an heirloom tomato from the farmer’s market so diner was BLTs and wine. It’s warming up in SoCal so this was a nice change of pace and fit the weather.

1 Like