What's for Dinner #19- 03/2017 daylight savings time means more time to cook

The last of the Chile Colorado made into a burrito . With a child’s cheese quesadilla . And two fried eggs . A bottle of wine to drink . :wine_glass: Cheers , Happy Friday and have a great weekend .

4 Likes

Past few nights were a blur of sad desk dinners and long days. There was a decent greek salad at some point. Today was surprisingly cold!!
All i could think about was a big bowl of soup. I put together one with miso broth, ginger, lots of tofu, green onions, shredded cabbage, and a few vegetable dumplings from trader joe’s. Warmed me up and was a tasty combo.

4 Likes

It’s been a very long day spent hearing about things I was hoping not to hear.

Buster and I are home. Prognosis isn’t good; it’s about making him comfortable and encouraging food and drink (he’s voluntarily drunk water several times today from the bathroom sink, which he didn’t do from Wednesday morning until this morning, AND I got him to eat some chicken baby food tonight without spitting it out or having foamy saliva be produced, so I’m pleased with that) and making sure his quality of life remains good.

Dinner was an easy freezer pull - sketti, sauce, crusty buttered roll. And a healthy pour of wine. And lots and lots and lots of cuddles for the Buster-Man.

Tonight he voluntarily went over to the water fountain waterer in the dining room and drank from that! And later he walked through the kitchen while I was cooking and next thing I knew, he was up on the back of the couch. So Mama’s happy, for now. I love this furball so very much, almost as much as my late beloved fur-kid, Cee-Cee, who was with me for 18-1/2 years.

9 Likes

Enjoying things my wife’s not a fan of while she’s away. A Kenji’s SV gulf paprika and garlic shrimp recipe I loosely followed. http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2017/01/sous-vide-shrimp-garlic-sherry-smoked-paprika-recipe.html
The bread was dipped in the marinade before grilling

wifey missed out! Serious delicious

12 Likes

Sending positive karma to Buster

7 Likes

That looks very good!

1 Like

We’ve been eating way too much takeout this week. But I did pickle some Fresno peppers today. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I want this NOW. Looks delicious!

1 Like

It was holycrap COLD here today with serious wind! Perfect for simmering some pintos which later became part of a vegetarian veggie chili with butternut squash, bell pepper and a few carrots. Light on the spicy stuff since i’m a wimp but i was pleased and there are enough leftovers for a few lunches and the freezer. I topped my bowl with chopped scallions and tried nondairy sour cream for the first time, “sour supreme” by tofutti- it was pretty good!

1 Like

Beautiful cat! Sorry to hear he is unwell! Positive vibes your way!

1 Like

Today, the neighbour and my husband were working on a project, so I made dinner for them.

Serious Eats Meatloaf, riced potatoes, al dente asparagus and a Grecian salad that consisted of romaine, feta, scallions, cucumber, fresh dill and then a red wine vinaigrette.

Meatloaf was quite wonderful, if you love meatloaf. I did follow the comments and scale back the salt to 1 tsp which was perfect. I can’t imagine the meatloaf with a whole tbsp when it already calls for anchovies, marmite and soya sauce.

4 Likes

Serious Eats recipes always go overboard with the salt, including fish sauce, soy sauce, etc. I ignore the recommendations and use my judgement.

Good to know- I haven’t made a ton of their recipes. The science nerd in me enjoys reading the logic behind the recipes though. Umami is good but I’d rather not have a stroke in its pursuit!

2 Likes

Was in San Fran… yesterday and picked up some fresh tagliatelle from Molinari Bros and some other goodies . Making a sauce of chopped chicken livers , peas , fresh sage and a little marinara . A side of Chard , steamed and then tossed in some oo and garlic . Wine to drink .:wine_glass: Cheers .

3 Likes

Then make it again and you both enjoy together. :beers:
Looks and sounds very good, indeed.

(I’ve been thinking about SV. Gonna do some research.)

My wife’s not a fan of shrimp that’s why I made it in her absence. She missed out because it was that good.

1 Like

I remember now, she’s a fan of seared tuna (which you find a bit boring).

Once in a while the partner can’t join me for dinner I make “gross” foods such as liver, marrow and shellfish. Fermented tofu. But when I put any of these into the food nobody complains.

I love shrimp, especially “on the barbie”. Tuna can be nice, too.

Sunday night salmon! Topped with pan-roasted cherry tomatoes and a yogurt sauce with dill and preserved lemon. Sauteed Brussels sprouts with sage and a glass of Sauvignon Blanc alongside. Apologies for the terrible photo. Some of you talented food photographers should start a tutorial for the hopeless, like me!

6 Likes

Today was spent keeping watch on my baby boy, and watching a few episodes of Taboo (a new FX series). Had to watch the first three eps on Amazon (and pay for it, dammit!), but Eps 4-8 are On Demand for free, so I’ll get to them later.

Some more chicken baby food into the Busta-Man in the late afternoon. He’s not happy when I do this, but at least I know he’s getting some nutrients. He’s following me upstairs to drink out of the bathroom faucet several times during the day, so at least hydration is off the table, for which I’m relieved. He gave a few long sniffs at some shredded chicken while Alfie was enjoying his dinner, and it almost looked like he was going to take a bite of his chicken, but it was a no-go. While I know I’ve got to have patience, I’m not good with that right now.

Dinner tonight was another simple one - Beef Stroganoff on egg noodles with peas. Watching the baby boy underfoot in the kitchen made switching back and forth between the counters a little difficult, but I wasn’t going to move him. He’s all relaxed in the cat bed now.

There was wine. And figuring out a change to my morning routine to factor in the cat feeding that will be required.

8 Likes

I made that fabulous hazan smothered cabbage today, previous plans were postponed due to goddamned coldness and wind again today.
I use half as much oil, and thought i would make it into the soup with rice but i’m just not that into rice, so i added in some chickpeas and called it dinner. Lots of leftovers, a few portions went in the freezer.

2 Likes