What's for breakfast (aka what's going to happen exciting today)?

Thank you!

That’s exactly it, I don’t think I’d enjoy it on its own but the same goes for oatmeal really. I imagine a lot of the fun is in the different topping combinations so I’m happy to hear about any suggestions.

One thing I love to add to congee is some Chinese pork floss and pickled cucumbers.

But if you don’t have access to pork floss (or just don’t like the stuff, which is totally understandable), a great simple way to jazz up congee is drop a poached (or soft boiled) egg onto the congee, some sautéed mushrooms, and garnish with a spoonful of salmon roe and some fried onions (for texture!).

Mix, eat by the spoonful, repeat. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

A mutant Beard Poppa Puff way overloaded with sweetened cream.

4 Likes
3 Likes

I’ve never had pork floss no, I would definitely try searching for it though. I imagine it adds good texture to the congee.

The poached egg and salmon roe sold me on your topping combination. I love those things and they add so much flavour.

I also like the Thanksgiving one! It’s a great way to use up leftovers. We don’t celebrate it here but it would work with our Christmas leftovers too.

Thank you for the tips! I’m really excited to explore this dish some more now :blush:

1 Like

Greek yogurt drowning in thawed strawberries, with a commercially made fruit-and-nut salad topping. Freshly baked blueberry biscuit.

Strawbs and blueberries picked in our garden last summer and frozen.

9 Likes

Spinach, feta and mushroom omelette

7 Likes

Gobble gobble!

Chive scrambled eggs. Pumpkin scone with maple glaze. Baked apple slices.

14 Likes

8 Likes

Pastry. $12.

#InflationSucks

5 Likes

Whoa. Where?!

1 Like

Personally, Lazlo Toth aside, I despise McDonalds - that being said, there are few items there that I can get down with. The McGriddle is brilliant stuff. Syrup chips. Genius. Still, you thought 20,000 calories was enough and skipped the sausage or bacon? I’ve also learned that you can ask for regular bacon instead of canadian bacon on your egg mcmuffin - but no jelly! I’m good for McD’s once or twice a year and this is what temps me.

5 Likes

Is that a hash brown? :drooling_face:

yes, looks like @ipsedixit stuffed a hashbrown in there, or paid them to do it – that meets with my approval. maybe he/she/they were wanting a light veggie breakfast.

1 Like

Lysee

Yup

Poached egg, English muffin, double espresso.

15 Likes

That’s my kind of egg! A thing of beauty!!

2 Likes

Thank you :grin:

Mon/Wed/Fri our retirement/disabled community gets a donation from Starbucks of their Day-Old stuff. Their version of the Egg McMuffin is pretty good one you figure out how to heat it up. Microwave kills it turning it into rubber, So wrapped in foil in toaster oven at 375 for 12 min & then partially unwrapped & set to broil for 3-4 min.

I can’t eat them too often-- palette fatigue. My wife is nuts for their cheese Danish.

Sorry no pics.

5 Likes