What's for breakfast (aka what's going to happen exciting today)?

Thanks!

1 Like

another Turkish-ish style egg bfast. poached egg with Fage full-fat yogurt warmed in browned butter with Urfa Biber, on mizuna greens, and a slice of toasted challah. yeah, the yogurt separated. still tasted fantastic.

10 Likes

That looks delicious!

1 Like

thanks, it was!

Continuing the cooking vacation with a family breakfast. We have scrambled eggs, bacon, sausage, home fries, toast, homemade blintzes with strawberry Nutella and Gouda cheese stuffed.

10 Likes

I only see “uploading: file names”

I"m sure it’s a substantial and good brekkie, though.

1 Like

(Fixed)

1 Like

Breakfast has been driven by “white” butter - home-churned butter made from scratch from cream (collected from the top of milk over a period) that is cultured.

Most of the butter was clarified to ghee, but I asked for some to be reserved because I love it in certain combinations.

Today was the only way I used to eat white butter as a kid - with thepla / spiced flatbreads.

Yesterday I was thwarted from this plan, so ate it with khakhra / flatbread slow-roasted to cracker texture.

11 Likes

Corn “sanja” - essentially fresh corn polenta with light spicing - and tempering of course. One of my favorite breakfasts since I was little.

The corn here tastes totally different when one can find local corn rather than american (sweet) corn that has become ubiquitous. This tastes more like hominy/maize, and has not bred to be soggy - it’s toothsome.

5 Likes

Since I got into pho and ramen a few years ago I get cravings for noodle soup at all hours. Recently, it was in the morning! I couldn’t handle one of those typically huge bowls of pho for breakfast – they’re too much for me at any hour. So I made a simple noodle soup at home.

Chicken bouillon, Wei Chuan brand Lanzhou ramen noodles (dry), last of a bag of frozen stir fry vegs including the brocc and water chesnuts, and some frozen whole leaf spinach. I love spinach or chard in chicken soup… Added some ground white pepper and TJ’s onion salt.

Very satisfying.

4 Likes

For brekkie this morning - one of Mrs H’s breakfast rolls.

She makes a bread dough, rolling it out into a largish rectangle. It’s then smeared with passata and laid up with thinly sliced mushroom and lightly cooked bacon rashers (preferably smoked bacon). It’s then rolled up like a Swiss Roll, cut into 2cm slices and baked. They freeze well and, defrosted, just need 30 seconds in the microwave to warm through.

9 Likes

Today was an eggcellent day.

8 Likes

Plan ahead french almond toast for morning. Made challah with my niece during tonight’s sleepover. Good times, hilarious braiding.

6 Likes

i found this product in my local little grocery store (an Australian brand: Chris’ Foods) - Goat Cheese and Black Truffle Dip. Came in a little terracotta pot, with a foil top (so completely recyclable - you can keep the little pot to use for other things) and a little packet of black pepper on top. First time I’ve seen this brand, and that one unit was the only one my store had on hand. Anyway, it’s delicious stuff, with a texture similar to whipped cream cheese. Taste-wise, the truffle is predominant without being overwhelming - the goatiness takes second place although there is a slight tang.

This morning it appeared on rye toast with a poached egg and my zhoug.

8 Likes

9 Likes

Waffles, scrambled eggs, bacon.

11 Likes

A few dried apricots drizzled with honey topped with sliced bleu cheese and slivered almonds. Replaced my enjoyment for goat cheese stuffed dates.

3 Likes

Cilantro for breakfast :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

Finishing off some aloo bhaji I made last week with some eggs. A sudden inspiration on the trek between the skillet and the plate resulted in a minor eggcident. Sorry for the fuzziness. I hadn’t realized my cell camera was that bad.

The day usually starts with coffee and a piece of fruit. I can handle the prep for that! Later, there might be more ‘breakfast,’ a snack, or the beginning of lunch.

This happened one day last week:

Kronos brand store-bought pita, toasted, then griddled in a pan to get a little crustier and warmer and pick up a little oil coating, then zataar, thyme and sumac.

Something of a revelation - possibly the best of these (manakeesh?) I’ve ever had,. Not sure why, my spices are not real fresh. Maybe all the ones I’ve had at Middle Eastern cafes and bakeries were not ‘right out of a brick oven,’ but rewarmed?

7 Likes

I’m not in Tibet. (That was in March 2006)

Tomato sauce, passata consistency. There’s a tortilla underneath, which is completely soggy but it’s probably supposed to be like that. First meal after 22 hours straight without sleep and 2 flights.

With melted cheese on top. Sauce has clear taste of tamarind. Quite refreshing.

Filled with shredded chicken

Inner courtyard at my hotel, also doubles as breakfast room.

Views from my room upstairs

12 Likes

Eggcelent breakfast!

8 Likes