What's for breakfast (aka what's going to happen exciting today)?

Leftover fried rice from last night became breakfast this morning, topped with gravy and an egg. So, kind of like loco moco, but without the hamburger patty.

7 Likes

Bacon egg and cheese on a Kaiser roll, and a Trader Joe’s hash brown.

Mikkeller Beer Geek Breakfast - oatmeal stout with coffee.

9 Likes

I like Mr Happy’s style! :beers:

Some Oaxacan dishes have no chance of winning a beauty contest.
“Coloradito” (mole) is just a liiiitle spicy.

Enfrijoladas contains black beans in the sauce/mole

Chocolate, chillies and cheese every day. I love my temporary Oaxacan life! 100% without sugar for myself, con leche for travelling companion. Pan de casa this time. Has the same lightness as pan de yema but more eggy taste and sweeter.

9 Likes

The extended very chilly (for here) weather has called for the addition of a mug of hot broth or bouillon to the morning, with such add-ins as shallots, scallions, onion, corn and cilantro. I’m out of everything but the corn.

There was an attempt at making a Swedish potato sausage. I’ve been intending to try it for a while and happened upon some ground pork in the freezer. Once defrosted I looked at some recipes and realized I also needed beef, which I didn’t have. I went ahead with what I had. I don’t have a stuffer so it’s just going to be pan sausage, since my favorite butcher shop that made a fantastic Cajun pan sausage went out of business during the Pandemic. My attempt ended up as Swedish pork and potato hash (with allspice and nutmeg). Actually pretty good as is, but no pictures yet.

The toast for the morning is just with butter about half the time. It becomes cheese toast or cheese with toast if I have the cheese; occasionally there is peanut butter and/or preserves, fruit spread or marmalade.

I’ve been meaning to try this - leftover (not very common) baked sweet potato, mashed, with s&p and butter plus red onion. Wow that’s an awful picture but it was good. Exceeded my expectations so it will happen again.

5 Likes

Poorman’s avocado toast. Hipsters need not apply.

8 Likes

How is it different from hipster avocado toast?

2 Likes

how long are you in Oaxaca? It’s a city I’ve longed to visit! Food looks wonderful…

It is not Instgram-worthy.

1 Like

You haven’t seen my Instagram.

1 Like

I mean this in the most complementary way, but you’re not a hipster.

1 Like

gasp

Would a non-hipster know you meant “complimentary”? I think not!

(Sorry. It’s a compulsion.)

Blame it on the US education system and the fact that had to repeat ESL. Twice.

1 Like

English is a ridiculous language.

1 Like

Enchiladas “Swiss-style” (filled with cheese, drenched in a red sauce, topped with crumbly Oaxacan cheese and cream).

I thought the black stuff was beans but apparently it’s not. Grainy like a thick mole paste.

Part of a Oaxacan meal (or snack, or whenever one fancies, really): hot chocolate.

Speaking of chocolate, I went to another producer and checked out theirs after this breakfast. The menus:

It’s grainy and the last bits are always thick as mud. I rinse out the bowls twice with my own water.

Tools for crushing the beans

Modern processing machines. At all the chocolate shops in town you’ll see how it’s done, around the clock.

@mariacarmen , I’m here for 6 days. Booked the hotel for 7 but made a mistake with the date so I “lost” a day of eating and drinking chocolate! But we have only barely scratched the surface so we’ll return for sure. The chocolate and pasilla Oaxaqueños alone are worth it. Nowhere else in Mexico can you buy these 2 things like it’s just a normal trip to the market! The food culture here is amazing, I’m sure you’ll love it.

8 Likes

You obviously know nothing about Chinese …

1 Like

Buen provecho!

Almost nothing. I know menu words. I can tell shumai from har gow. Don’t ask me to conjugate any verbs, though, because I couldn’t even name a single one.

Back to “breakfast”, an old friend drops by for 7am coffee roughly once a month. He started out arriving with an uber-expensive sack of croissants and kouign amann until I stopped him since I can put some kind of hot breakfast bread on the table for pennies to his dollars.
We’ve gone through a zillion muffin variations, coffee cakes, et al. This morning I made up a simple platter of plain crepes, individual butter and jams, Kept warm under a glass dome.
Great reception without much effort on my part. My kind of “eyes not quite open” entertaining.

11 Likes

I love that commercial with the not free complementary water!

“It’s not free?”
“No; it compliments the room!”

3 Likes

:joy: :joy: :joy:

3 Likes