What's for breakfast (aka what's going to happen exciting today)?

Smoked sockeye on a genuine NY everything bagel with capers, onion and cherry tomatoes from the garden:

Coffee is Kenya AA done in a mocha maker.

5 Likes

Smart works well, too. Weise = wise.

2 Likes

It’s a southern German word generally used in context, such as:

"Mir Schwôbâ wer’n mit vierzich gscheid, diâ andrâ ned en Ewichkeit.“

Or

“Die Schwaben werden erst mit vierrzig Gescheit, die anderen nicht in Ewigkeit.”

Trans: While Schwab’s become wise at forty, others never do even in eternity.

But also “Er esch ned Gscheit”, or he is not right in the head.

Klug I would say is actually closer to smart, and is more prevalent in Northern Germany.

And geschickt is closer to clever, although Schwäbisch does use the English word “clever” in a slightly negative context, as in “Das cleverle”.

To me the translation “A wise person finds their best education in travel” seems best.

1 Like

Sucks to arrive in the eveving and not being able to find decent food before leaving again. That’s what happened last night and this morning. I couldn’t face another burger so this bowl thing would have to do. It was at Winnipeg airport.

Both without any meat.

Brown rice underneath and crispy wonton skin on top.

2 Likes

I’m a German native, but thanks for the elaboration in dialect(s) '-D

No offense intended. North or South ?

Looks like freshii

Yes, it was “Freshii”. I think there are only 3 places to eat after passing through security.

Finally… cheese!

And strawberries.

2 Likes

None taken.

West :slight_smile:

Ich meinte nordlich oder südlich des Weißwurstäquators ?

Baked beans in lard. I would have made it with Speck. Most people in Europe would have prefered it with Speck for sure. It’s not for no reason Speck has a tremendous importance in European cuisines. The tiny restaurant is a kind of old fashioned greasy spoon diner. People who work there are all pensioners in terms of age. The food they serve is the kind your (grand) mum makes when you were a child.

So rich but good.

This is it. A few tiny tables and a counter.

The menu from who knows which decade is in front of me.

2 Likes

Nordrhein-Westfalen :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Köln-Düsseldorf?

11.11 11:11…

Close. Bonn-Bad Godesberg.

1 Like

Ein Katzensprung Flußaufwarts !

Also keine kölsche Jecken?

Dat hahn isch nit drop.

zB Tünnes and Schäl:

Tünnes und Schäl sitzen in der Kneip´, da sagt der Tünnes zu dem Schäl: “Do schäl, mir sin he in indien!” Darauf antwortet de Schäl :“Wie küsst do dann op dä Quatsch? M´r sin doch he in Kölle!” Darauf Tünnes:"Avver opdem Schild do steiht “Toiletten am anderen Ende des Ganges”…

Groan. One of the reasons (apart from having grown up with this insanity) I’m not much of a Karnevalist.

Weiberfastnacht was about all I could muster any energy for, the rest of the weekend I’d stay home. That music. The communal slobber-fest (Bützche).

Nah.

Well I’m sorry to hear that, (but my necktie isn’t !) No horseys on the floor for you.

But Tünnes and Schäl were not really just Karneval, right?

So what would you say is a good German breakfast, wurst, käse, ei und brötchen (weckle)?

How about a Katerfrühstück? Rollmops?

Here is another one:

No need to feel sorry for me at all. After having spent the better part of my youth in that area, I’ve had enough Karneval to last me a lifetime.

As for Tünnes & Schääl jokes – they’re about as funny to me as Fritzchen jokes… not at all. Maybe a generational thing, dunno.

A good German breakfast has a soft-boiled egg (or scrambled), various cheeses & cold cuts, jam, Nutella, fresh milk, good coffee.

Katerfrühstück must include pickled & smoked fish. Love Rollmops and don’t even need to be hungover to enjoy it :slight_smile: