What's for breakfast (aka what's going to happen exciting today)?

Thanks, TTrockwood. I’m resourceful and creative.

Today

The cheese on left is particularly delicious.

Got them breakfast from the lunch restaurant yesterday (more in WFD thread shortly). Kind employee held up the box so I could make a photo of the label.

In the display fridge before employee cut a chunk for me.

5 Likes

Haha… the plots thickens, just a little.

This evening I was in the hostel’s kitchen making some soup broth and shucking oysters and quickly glanced at the fridge (huge glass door fridge like in supermarket) where my breakfast basket was stored. Well, it’s gone! Now someone elses’ stuff is in my spot.

Anyway, I told someone at the reception about it and showed her the photos I made of the cheeses and foie gras AND the receipt. She made a photo of my details and receipt for her superior. Said maybe they could “arrange a compensation with the lodging in Montreal” for me. It’s only 20 bucks worth but it’s my breakfast tomorrow and I’m leaving at 7:30 am. Grrrr… I was planning to eat breakfast on the train. I guess just eggs and plain bread til I arrive in Montreal.

That will teach you not to leave foie gras in a public refrigerator…

1 Like

Oh no…! That is bad kharma for those cheese thieves.

1 Like

Never gonna use the public fridge anymore. My lodging in Montreal has a tiny drink fridge in the room… yay!!!

Red masago roe was better and cheaper.

Good sardines, price-quality ratio.

Not a bad soft cheese.

2 Likes

Is that French cheese from France? I have a mold allergy and have to be really careful with those. I remember a dinner party where immediately following the cheese course I had to repair to the toilet for a round of projectile vomiting. Most embarrassing for me and the hostess since she was French and had gone to great efforts to obtain the cheese. It was, however, delicious going down.

It’s from somewhere here in Quebec.

Yesterday was a bagel with some incredibly salty lox from Wexler’s Deli in Santa Monica. Today I am having a giant cup of coffee from 7-11 that took Postmates 40 minutes to even pick up, over an hour to deliver. Double fail. :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Lovely cheese. Unfortunately no raw milk version. Got it at Jean Talon market.

I like it that there’s also wine suggestion on their printed label.

5 Likes

They could make Wesphalian ham! Costs a lot more here. The goat’s cheese is very runny (I like). Saw only PC brand of this goat’s cheese. Bread is good, too. I like it when I can slice it myself and choose the thickness. There’s a big slicer in the bread section, something we don’t have at supermarkets at home.

1 Like

At least you have compensation for the theft, lucky you have the photos. But then foie gras for breakfast, that’s lux!

Yes, that is so obnoxious.

1 Like

I wouldn’t count on them getting back to me, and indeed they never got back to me. I knew it when they mentioned “it (food theft) happens all the time”.

I like foie gras anytime and also many other things. Am not bound by rules or tradition etc.

1 Like

Breakfast on the train to Toronto yesterday. I was surprised to see “Lachsschinken” sold here.

Labels

Today. It’s been raining this morning so that means I have time to upload the photos.

2 kinds of Speck

Most fruits come from the states or elsewhere. I chose Ontario grown because I’m here.

The Camembert is from Quebec. It’s now clear that supermarkets in Quebec is better in terms of selection. Not to mention you get just buy beer and wine anywhere. Also returning your empty bottles anywhere is easy. Here it’s so frustrating to return the damn empties.

I find that, in general, Canada is more expensive than where I live. Some things cost as much as in Scandinavia after tax (and tips). I will stop bitching and moaning (about prices and selections) when I get back home. Now I know we have it good, mostly.

3 Likes

Käserösti not Spiegeleier, Bratwürste, Rye toast, Kauai Kaffee, Grapefruit Spritzer:

4 Likes

Breakfast on the train (from Toronto to Winnipeg).

With pumpkin paste.

A filling omelette with lots of green onions, which I removed.

Train corridor. (Texts translate to something like “the best education for a clever person is found in travel”. Lingua can correct me.)

3 Likes

Wise would be a better translation of Gescheit.

Agreed.
Thanks.

Scrambled eggs with frying peppers, onions, vt extra sharp cheddar, and Nathan’s beef wieners. And fried potatoes. That’s a little Siracha and cilantro on top:

2 Likes

Home cured gravlax

8 Likes