What's Cooking? (New Jersey)

:grin::grin::grin:

Last night Mrs. P made beer can chicken. Tonight, with the leftovers, she made chicken tostadas. Below are links to both posts from the main ‘what’s for dinner’ thread, along with pictures and more details.

1 Like

how did you make the chicken? was it oven, grill? I’ve only made it on grill, would love to know if it works indoors too?
Looks amazing

1 Like

Thanks Mr. Met! It was made in the oven. It was baked at 350 for 2 hours.

1 Like

With our final beer can chicken leftovers Mrs. P made a deconstruced chicken taco. The pictures and details are in the link below on the main ‘what’s for dinner’ thread.

1 Like

It’s weber time
:+1::yum:

10 Likes

On the verge of joining a gym after a successful week-long free trial. I am not dieting, but still trying to make better decisions when I can. This was lunch the other day. A veggie burger from Aldi (delicious, and only 90 calories) on naan with a mixture of hummus and spinach. Filling, fresh, and healthy. Everything pictured is from Aldi now that I think of it.

5 Likes

How do you find aldi lidl so far? I like aldi but it’s a bit depressing there. I feel like lidl has bigger selection and more specialty stuff too and produce seems to be much better esp on organic end.

Chicken again tonight … floor style
I dropped the whole damn serving platter on the kitchen floor chicken, vegetables and potatoes
I’ll spare you the carnage photos… the only thing that survived was the skin, which I had removed before carving

IMG_6531

IMG_6537

7 Likes

I’ve been going to Aldi for a lot longer than Lidl. I would say quality-wise, Aldi is superior. They have some name brands at good prices in addition to brands you’ve never heard of. The meat and vegetables appear to be fresher. It does not have the inviting “pop” that Lidl has, but I do enjoy shopping there. I love Lidl’s bakery, though. You can smell the breads and pastries baking across the whole store.

One major problem I had with Lidl was the bottled water. It was bitter. Had two cases to get through and it was just tough to swallow. Packs of 24 for $2.59, as opposed to around $4 elsewhere. However, I discovered Aldi’s brand bottled water is $1.69. An unbeatable price and it tastes fresh. I stock up when I go.

I ran into a friend of mine at the Hazlet Lidl yesterday. I think he’s one of the managers. I just had to ask him about how their prices are so low. He paused and said, “We have a LOT of write-offs when stuff comes in.” I did not press him further but it did scare me on the meat. A lot of their stuff is the cast-offs from the major companies and sold under smaller labels. Hell, they had filet mignon for $4.99 a steak last week. Not per pound, per steak. Produce is produce. I can pick it up and smell/feel it, but I will be avoiding meats from there. Packaged/frozen goods are also fine. He swears by their frozen Chinese food.

Never had a problem with anything at Aldi except the ridiculous lines (and no self check-out). Literally a line winds around the store and they just have one register open. My blood pressure goes up when I’m done shopping.

1 Like

OUCH. Have you not heard of the 5-second rule?!?

2 Likes

Does Aldi still have the filet wrapped in bacon? Many years ago we used to buy those for the weekend parties when I was young, dumb and full of energy :wink:

DH is having 5 seconds for lunch tomorrow
:shushing_face:

2 Likes

I’ve been eating those veggie burgers a lot actually. They are really good and way cheaper than my beloved Dr. Pragers.

And second on the Lidl. I find myself doing my main shopping here. I have been treating it like a challenge each week as I have been coming up with meals while I shop.

1 Like

A moment of silence for your fallen bird…

2 Likes

Interesting about the meat. I haven’t really bought much meat here (don’t tell my family but I am trying to cut way back on meat). I didn’t like the salmon but the organic chicken was the same or better than shoprite (price about the same).

2 Likes

Just had this convo with friends this weekend; one of them is full-on veg while the other leans that way but will still eat meat. We were discussing the Beyond burger, which I’d tried at their house. It was DELICIOUS. I was seriously shocked–but then I was doubly surprised when I read the label. HIGH amount of fat, which is probably why it was so good! YMMV, but I’m a label reader… (and a big Dr. Praeger’s fan)

2 Likes

If you shop at trader joe’s they have a cauliflower/broccoli patty and also a carrot version that are really similar texture to dr praeger’s. But like dr p’s they’re also really light, i need two for a legit meal (i like them better ontop of a big salad than as a burger style sandwich) at one point TJs also sold dr p’s original, haven’t looked for them lately but were way cheaper than buying elsewhere

2 Likes

I love to top two of the Dr P’s spinach pancakes with a pair of runny fried eggs… excellent breakfast!

Yum! Thanks for the tip. I started buying these veggie burgers for the kiddo. They are really helpful for a quick lunch to send to school. I also skip the bun. Who needs it?! I’ve been making this tzatziki-ish sauce for them too. MMM.

I don’t make it to TJ’s all that often but I do go occasionally to stock up on a few things. I only use their powdered dishwasher detergent and I like their quick cooking brown basmati rice.

3 Likes