What's for Dinner #43 - 03/2019 - the SMarch Edition

I agree, we had the same problem and added more water and oil, which seemed to do the trick

3 Likes

I haven’t made fresh pasta in a while but maybe that will be a good weekend activity. I was making a triple or quadruple batch before, making them into little single serving bundles, letting them dry out a bit and then freezing them. Pasta could be made super fast and only as much as we needed. Dump the bundle (still frozen) directly into salted boiling water and ready in 2-3 minutes.

14 Likes

AP, or all purpose, refers to the protein content of the flour. ‘00’ refers to the fineness of the grind.

I read many pasta dough recommends T55 or T65 flour.

There are some things a Crock Pot is essential to:

Three pieces of Top Round Steak, Yukon Gold potatos, baby Carrots. Six hours on low. Thought I had over seasoned the meat with White Pepper and Cajun spice, but did not. Wound up fork tender.

(I’ve never had this cut cook up well for me. But I keep going back to it because of the price. So now I know, it’s Crock Pot food)

11 Likes

With our final beer can chicken leftovers Mrs. P made a deconstructed chicken taco using the same ingredients as yesterday’s chicken tostadas plus shredded smoky beets (from Fairway Markets) plus blue corn tortilla chips, from Trader Joe’s. We had air fried mini peppers on the side. It all went nicely with a 2012 Alta Vista Cabernet from Argentina, which is a nice inexpensive every day wine.

13 Likes

Leftover lentils and rice tonight. Even better on day 2. I really love the recipes in Made in India! Hubby brought coconut cake from DC Chinatown.

6 Likes

Leisurely bus ride from Shizuoka to Yokohama-Shi. Being transported on the Shinkansen is fun, but our hotel check-in is officially 3pm. So a slow poke bus was cheaper and better timing.

Upon arrival at 1pm, our hotel kindly accommodated our early check in request. Yes! Friday night resto hopping, here we come!

A Ferris Wheel and amusement park right across the canal. Roller Coaster, yeah!!

Japan food streets are great. Quiet sleepy alleys when the sun is up, streets of delicious fun after the salary people clock out.

Squeezed into a smoky roaring Izakaya.

A tank with some large squid. Ika sashimi!!! Alas, no go. All booked up.

No worries. Although the restaurants were filling up and spilling into the street, we scored a couple of sunken seats in a Robotayaki Restaurant. The chefs do their magic and the pass your dishes across the wide bar on paddles.

After a few sakes, beers, hi balls and ??? Nice to have the lit up wheel for a beacon home.

Couldn’t pass up a supermarket opportunity, especially at pre closing discount Sushi time. :wink:

A tart for me. A couple of 50% off Sashimi for She. Oh yeah, some Suntory Whiskey. My wife continues her goal of trying EVERY SINGLE TYPE of supermarket sake.

Good night. :sleeping:

19 Likes

Your post made me miss Osaka. Thanks for sharing. Made my day!

1 Like

Happy to share good times!! We love Osaka also. Seems like you can walk down any street and have your difficult choice of ramen, tempura, sushi, pastries and so much more.

And, it’s all invariably good to excellent.

2 Likes

Very late dinner. Skinned and portioned a side of both of steelhead and salmon. By time I was done vacuum packing all the fish it was late but had two belly meat strips that I wanted to smoke. Poor planning since I didn’t preheat the smoker

Kept it real simple

7 Likes

i haven’t been home all week for dinners, and tonight the BF cooked. a really tasty meat sauce over cheese-stuffed shells from our local deli that’s closing soon. i need to buy some more. on the side, he pan-grilled zukes, put out some olives, and made a little salad of tomato slices in a vinaigrette, topped with blue cheese. simples. especially for me. :grinning:

11 Likes

You guys have so much fun! Will like to hear her top 5 after the degustation. :heart_eyes:

2 Likes

I tried your method for duck breast tonight, starting it in a cold skillet. The skin came out crunchier than ever before. I was a bit disobedient as far as the oven is concerned, because the oven was already in use at another temperature. So after the prescribed times, I just covered the pan and let it sit for 5 minutes. In the end there was no pink inside at all. I was a bit disappointed, but my wife was thrilled to death. Or perhaps to life! Next time I’ll make sure the oven is free, and I’ll do it on a smaller burner.

We also used, and enjoyed, @ccj’ s dipping sauce.

6 Likes

A Jet Tila recipe: Kang Chow Fried Rice…

12 Likes

dinner was seafood cataplana
made sofritto with 2 andouille chicken sausages that I browned initially, ( had to remove the casing bec it is porcine).
this is added to one small red onion that was shredded and cooked in EVOO til it was caramelized, a few small shredded carrots cooked towards the end of caramelizing onions , and tomatoes. Added them

to the cataplana with shrimp, wild pacific cod, chicken broth, oregano, smoked Spanish paprika, home made chicken broth to which a pinch of saffron was added, a tin of anchovy in EVOO, on medium heat tile team came out- total time 8 min. served with crusty sliced french bread.
As usual, my poms sit on chair and wait for food. Luna is not in the picture somehow

14 Likes

More lentils and rice, gussied up with yogurt, sumac, dried mint, Urfa and Aleppo

15 Likes

Nashville Hot Chicken with roasted mini peppers and smashed potatoes.

I am so out of practice of late but the meal came together quickly. No photos because my hands were busy frying.

Best to all!
Rooster

11 Likes

Mom had a good day.
I had a good day at Wegmans.
And dinner turned out better than I expected during prep.
Bonus.

I picked up some turkey tenderloins at Wegmans today and threw together an orange juice, grated ginger, garlic, honey, dried thyme, dried parsley and salt and pepper marinade for one of them.

Tenderloin was roasted for about 45 minutes at 350°, spooning some of the marinade over top, along with a sploosh of white wine.

The marinade was reduced and I added a cornstarch slurry to help thicken it for a sauce.

Some leftover pappardelle was heated up and tossed with a bit of the sauce and butter, with the turkey tenderloin slices with a couple of spoons of sauce on top and green beans alongside with butter and some of my friend’s Salter’s Point Provisions Cape Ann Blend finishing salt on top.

Yep. There was wine to drink during prep and during dinner. :+1:

You can check out her products here: https://salterspointprovisions.com/

13 Likes

Glad that worked out for crispy skin! And hopefully next time you can get to the right pinkness inside, but I’ll bet it was still great!