What’s for Dinner #56: The No Place Like Home Edition - April 2020

Shakshuka with onions and kale. Everything is better with an egg.

11 Likes

What a bonus to go along with my grilled chicken. Picked this morning in the Mt Shasta forest . Given to me from my renters boyfriend.

18 Likes

WOW! Nice bonus!

3 Likes

I cooked after many days. We had not had indian for a couple of weeks, so that’s what was for dinner.

Dal fry, green beans, semolina-crusted fish, rice. I sautéed a couple of potatoes for myself as I’m still being gentle on my tummy and stuck to carbs only.

Forgot to take some pics.

13 Likes

Chicken Marsala over rigatoni. Like usual, I use sweet vermouth instead of marsala. Side of roasted asparagus with pecorino.

14 Likes

Pad thai! This time, I did 4 separate stir fries, never crowded the pan, and got some nice wok hau! It was veg, with tofu, some gai lan stems, and some asparagus from the garden. First crop to come up.

15 Likes

That marsala looks great and is also on my meal plan.

2 Likes

DH made chicken Penang curry with the stragglers in the crisper drawer - bell peppers, carrots, and onion. It was delicious over brown rice. We enjoyed our favorite local ice cream for dessert - key lime pie, vanilla, and blueberry. So good!!!

11 Likes

I’ve tried 2 recipes so far, both were fine but not great.

Here’s the more recent recipe - from AlexandraCooks., quartered to make two buns.

These were better than my first try last week, but I’m going to keep looking.

I used her brioche recipe for the regular buns, and split an egg between the two.

1 Like

I will PM you as soon as I get it from her.

1 Like

Try this recipe:

Followed to a T except for the vermouth and no thyme.

The butter and heavy cream make this the richest marsala sauce I’ve ever had.

2 Likes

Absolutely gorgeous morels!!! :yum::heart::yum::heart:

3 Likes

nothing gratuitous about Hallie! :kissing_heart:

2 Likes

amazing. i heard of a great recipe in the WSJ for morels in a cream sauce…

I’ll look it up . I’m cooking them without makeup. Pure with a tiny bit of butter and salt . Nude with their Natural flavor . This time .

5 Likes

Perfect.

Leftovers! Can you tell I was thrilled to have a break from cooking? Jalapeño mac & cheese (take and bake from a local cafe) and a side of roasted vegetables.

Second of two comfort food dinners we got out of this.

11 Likes

Dinner last night was fried rice. H cooked, and marinated chicken breasts first. It was delicious until I got a bite of dreaded rubber chicken…ugh, it will be awhile until I’m able to eat chicken breast again. H knows about this, but thought the breast looked ok enough. Straight into the bag for stock next time.

8 Likes

Both of those dishes look wonderful. Now I want Chicken Marsala…

3 Likes

Have you tried velveting chicken breast for these types of preparations? Works like magic for me - I hate the rubberiness/stringy-ness too.

I also tolerate them much better as kababs, where a marinade and quick cook solve the problem. Or chinese-style poached - white or soy.

2 Likes