What’s for Dinner #56: The No Place Like Home Edition - April 2020

No, haven’t tried the velveting technique @Saregama. I do like chicken kebabs, and would be willing to see if a long marinade works on affected chicken. I may try pounding the hell out of one for cutlets, next time we run across one. Otherwise, just the stockpot.

1 Like

I hear you - I’ve never gotten the hang of velveting, and wet or dry brining for something that’s going into fried rice just feels like way too much work. For all purpose chicken to be added bit by bit to other things, which I’m making more in these covid days, I’m dry brining a few bscb at a time and just oven roasting at 450 for 10-13 mins per side depending on thickness. I find myself batch cooking more these days.

1 Like

I like a yogurt marinated one too, both in kebab form and not, guess it’s the acid tenderizing.

I use water velveting. The short marinade in cornstarch seems to help. Then a quick blanche in boiling water, and set aside till you’re ready to add to whatever you’re making.

it. looks. amazing. recipe, please?

1 Like

I made a cheeseburger pasta bake with sesame breadcrumb topping. It was well received and made use of our dwindling groceries.

15 Likes

Thanks @Saregama, will try it.

1 Like

Do yourself a favor and DO NOT add all that oil in at once. I’ve never had to use the full amount. 1 cup is probably enough so add that first before going the distance.

Just got home from work. Chicken cutlets it will be, but I am really hoping to bake them (too much frying lately). However, these are really gorgeous cutlets and I need a drink first. Hopefully my decision-making will not be impaired and I end up frying them. Either way, will be serving with Spanish rice and this to either dip into or dress with. Not sure yet:

A cross between a persillade and chimichurri (I hate oregano): parsley, olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, S + P, and a dash of crushed red pepper. If my brain wasn’t shot from work, I would have remembered to use my friend’s toum and save myself some work!

13 Likes

Saregama, velveting chicken, pork or beef before quick saute it a revelation! No more tough stir fry or sauted sliced meats. Even tough owl-like meats become tender as love.

2 Likes

I called this all “veggies in the pool” phyllo wraps. I think there was onion, carrot, celery, zucchini, cauliflower, spinach, cherry tomatoes, harissa, turmeric, garlic, cinnamon, and red pepper flakes. Left over jeweled rice side. Chardonnay for me, beer for DH.

18 Likes

Farfalle in a mushroom cream sauce, some broccolini, and a piece of Vacherousse d’Argental with fig jam and raspberries for dessert.

15 Likes

I’ve never eaten owl… :flushed:

A CoronaVirus Pizza Night (yet again). Base was a Wewalka Bistro Pizza Crust.

11 Likes

Kicking it with a very old friend that I haven’t seen in a couple years . Come on up and get out of the shit . We will go fishing .Double burger with American cheese , grilled onions , and morels . Salad with ranch beans . Cheers .

14 Likes

thanks!

1 Like

BF experimenting tonight, with my sourdough discard. He made two pizzas, one was olives, onions, garlic, some greens, and mozz, the other with Andouille sausage, tomatoes, mozz. Second was better than the first, the first was kind of bland. Even the BF thought so. But the crust on these was just too dense for me, too tough, cracker-y, with no give. I’ve read others say similar about sourdough discard pizza dough. But it was an experiment, using something that would have been tossed, so whatevs. In any case, the poor BF had these for dinner. I had Korean take out with my sister…:stuck_out_tongue:

16 Likes

Haven’g been there or done that either, an old food simile, “tough as boiled owl”.

3 Likes

Warm weather has caused the mache to bolt -> thousands of quarter-inch sweet tasting flowering buds -> bloomin’ salad

And pasta with prawns and pancetta in a white wine, fresh tomato, sorrel, basil sauce

21 Likes

What day is it? Year?

Last night before my work zoom happy hour (which was shockingly fun. I have only met my boss and several of my peers once so it was fun to see people in their natural habitats) - roasted salmon, brussel sprouts, oven french fries:

Night before - grilled swordfish with a mango salsa concoction, heavily buttered green beans and garlic, brown rice:

18 Likes