What’s For Dinner #42 - 2/2019 - the Hearts & Flowers & Brrrr-Chilly Winter Edition

live and die by the togarashi! i definitely have a bottle in my desk.

6 Likes

kimchi brine vinaigrette? mind sharing the ratios/add-ins?

What type of rice did you use?

1 Like

My Lithuanian grandmother made hers with beets and beef also . And dill in the vinegar beet water.

1 Like

“Snow” day here in NJ. Ice/Rain seems more like it but they closed my daughter’s school so I had to take off work. She “helped” me make lunch. Split pea with ham and a fried egg. I’m thinking pizza for later… mmm

14 Likes

Looks terrific. And, bracing.

1 Like

Sure! I have a ton of extra kimchi brine from my homemade white kimchi that I’m using- so if you’re using a spicy kimchi brine probably start with less of it
I use my immersion blender to get it mixed up in a good sized batch:

• about 1/2c neutral oil, I’m using grapeseed now but whatever works- olive oil is just weird/bad though
  • prob 1/3c of kimchi brine
  • a small spoon of dijon to help it emulsify, maybe a TB
  • pinch of salt, my brine is funky but not especially salty
    Then i just blitz the hell out of it! Lasts a good long while and i just shakeshakeshake the jar before using, doesn’t usually totally seperate. You could add a TB of mayo (gasp!) if you want it a little creamy and it will prob stay emulsified longer too.
5 Likes

thank you!

jasmine, my go-to, pretty much.

1 Like

I used elements of both these. ignore the NYT picture - it definitely isn’t supposed to look like that.

I think two things were key: 1) using chicken broth I’d already simmered chicken in to cook this new chicken; and 2) using the fat from the chicken (which i just scraped from the top of the chicken broth once it was cold (i started this the day before) to fry the rice in (also added oil and a little butter since there wasn’t that much chicken fat.)

Next time I’d try just frying up some chicken skins on their own and use that to fry the rice.

5 Likes

Thank you! that means a lot to me, coming from you especially!

3 Likes

I’ve started buying many of my personal care products and a few cleaning products from a newish company called Public Goods. It’s a subscription service, $59/year I believe, and then mostly reasonable prices for their goods. They are prompt in shipping and everything is well-packed and sealed in cardboard boxes. Shipping is free for orders over $25 and usually the order arrives in two days. The only purchase I haven’t really liked has been the dish soap. The botanicals, maybe lavender and lemongrass, tend to linger on hands and can be a bit distracting when eating something out-of-hand.

One of my favorite purchases was these reusable produce bags. I hate using plastic bags for multiple produce items, but feel bad giving the cashier unwieldy, hard-to-control rolling produce. These bags are probably a little heavier than plastic bags and so the purchase will be a little more by weight on a scale, but I often just dump the produce directly on the scale at the register if it’s not too much of a pain. They don’t keep the produce quite as fresh as plastic bags, but I just buy smaller quantities and shop more often.

Also, for Costco members, they often have $5 or so off their 18-piece Snapware glass storage containers. I think I may have three sets because my son and daughter-in-law and I are often trading leftovers and other goodies.

8 Likes

Gingery cauliflower soup this cold and wet evening. I may need to supplement later, the weather has made me very hungry!

I love the flexibility of this soup for flavor profile, ingredients, and even method. Tonight’s version was dairy-free, with creaminess from cashews and the cauliflower itself, and a slightly Asian bent with ginger and lemongrass.

6 Likes

Ice Storm Edition…

Hamburgers from the GEORGE FOREMAN. Vlasic Pickles and a Steamfresh vegetable as go withs.

9 Likes

Leftover tamale pie - no pic needed

2 Likes

Out of work at 3:00 p.m. as the snow started later than expected in my area. Took twice as long to get home, but it wasn’t bad. Just glad to be home before the worst of it.

Had some stuff to use up in the fridge: Broccoli, onion, garlic & herb cheese, and milk. So pulled a half b/s chicken breast (split lengthwise) from the freezer to defrost.

Broccoli, onion and cut up chicken sauteed and set aside.

Penne cooked and drained.

The remaining small amount of Pub cheese blended with heavy cream, Penzeys’ Tuscan Sunset dried herbs, parsley, and thyme, half a package of Knorr’s garlic and herb cheese and additional milk for a sauce.

Added the penne and broc/onion/chix mixture to the sauce and heated through.

Topped with grated Parm-Reg. Simple and tasty for a quick dinner. And gives me a work lunch.

20 Likes

I think I might have used as a guideline the Betty Crocker recipe the last time I made it . Of course I messed around with it . Came out great . One of the underlying dishes that are super tasty.

1 Like

Such a snowy slushy freezing rain sleeting ick today! I really didn’t want the freezer soup options (that coconut milk veg curry or some tomatoey cabbage version) so I went with a very green salad meal.
I’m helpless again cornichons on sale, even if they’re not the best ones (aka from Maille) they’re still wonderful. Snacked on a surprising number of them while chopping…! Odds of this jar lasting more than 24-36hrs are very slim.

I decided to stop off at maison kayser on my way home (it’s entirely too close to my gym!) and picked up one of those olive buns i love. Was looking for the fennel raisin kind but none today.
I warmed it a bit, nice chewy crust and some chunks of olive

Very green salad with some broccoli leftover from lunch, a ton of cilantro, scallions, olives, same kimchi vinegrette and handful of those crunchy edamame

15 Likes

Freezer-pull dinner: Black-eyed peas made with smokey Cochon bacon, and Aidell’s Cajun-style Andouille sausages. Aidell’s are not usually my favorite but these were good and juicy, with a little heat. Slaw was veggies that needed using, with a vinaigrette of Unio Vermouth Wine Vinegar and EVOO. The vinegar, from Spain and new to me, was a nice surprise, sweet/tart, winey, fruity.

14 Likes

LM

New York strip, roasted beets with blue cheese and granola, homemade harissa.

12 Likes