What’s For Dinner #42 - 2/2019 - the Hearts & Flowers & Brrrr-Chilly Winter Edition

Thanks, will try it out soon, maybe next week! I had only beef version, pork is new to me.

1 Like

They were for me. I have been one of those replace carbs with red meat people, and loving every minute of it!

2 Likes

Tostones with guac and shrimp topped with mango scotch bonnet hot sauce.

@shrinkrap Your seeds went in today’s mail so keep an eye out. :slight_smile:

19 Likes

Thank you! Yours should go out tommorow.

1 Like

Sounds like a delicious if stressful weekend.
Cooking and sharing meals as a family can be very therapeutic, sounds like mom is also quite talented

2 Likes

Back to salad!
The usual with a heavy handful of sunflower seeds, some red bell pepper and the other half of an orange. Kimchi brine vinegrette on everything after the photo

A big handful of these crunchy edamame that i love on the side

Miso broth in a mug to drink and keep warm.

Sipping my hot chocolate (made with unsweetened Ripple milk which i love) now :))

15 Likes

Petite Brussels sprouts with smoked paprika, followed by Chawanmushi with dried shiitake mushrooms. Not really congruous, but didn’t eat them together!

14 Likes

ooh chawanmushi… would you share your recipe, please?

Hainanese chicken and rice. The rice was the BEST, chewy, almost sticky, but still separate. Super flavorful, rich, and delicious. A bit oily (the rice cooks in chicken fat and then in the chicken broth that you simmered the chicken in) but in a very good way. You pour some broth on the rice/chicken, and also drink the broth down on its own. sauces on the side were cilantro, garlic & ginger, cilantro ginger & thai chilis, sambal, soy/sesame oil.

I’ve had the thai version of this dish (made famous by Nong in Portland), but we found hers a bit bland (i know, everyone loves it!). Maybe because I’d already simmered some chicken in the salted broth I used to simmer this new chicken, and in turn that broth went into the rice, this was anything but bland, but not like a “chicken soup.” Still very delicate. Chicken turns out tender but still firm, not mushy at all.

You eat the broth on its own or pour a little onto the rice/chicken.

But that rice… i could have eaten the whole pot myself, but the BF wanted some too, i guess… :grinning:

17 Likes

Sure!

I use 1/2c liquid per egg - dashi or broth or water with a splash of soy sauce, plus salt to taste, and a drop of sesame oil.

Beat the eggs, add liquid and mix gently, then strain into a shallow dish or ramekins.

Steam covered on gentle simmer - done when it’s still a bit jiggly in the center, but set. (Start checking at 7 mins for 1 egg, 10 mins for 2 eggs - add 2 mins at a time till done).

You can add seafood, chicken, mushrooms, etc.

5 Likes

Yum! I’m hoping to make this over the weekend… do you have a recipe you like?

1 Like

My mother in law can gaze vacantly at packets of soup for what feels like hours. It is not as though she even likes soup.

6 Likes

A very easy veggie dinner tonight - it involves onion, garlic, thyme, bay, passata, two tins of butter beans, chilli, treacle, grain mustard and Dijon mustard. The onions and garlic get fried in olive oil then everything else goes in and it simmers for 30 minutes or so to thicken up. Crusty bread to accompany. And, afterwards, there’s remnants of cheddar and Blacksticks Blue to use up.

6 Likes

Very cool. I am looking to make some similar tweaks - more legumes and seafood, plus lean poultry and whole grains. I had a weird non-fasting glucose reading recently and although my subsequent fasting A1c was well within normal range, I personally feel it could be better if I make better diet choices. Same with LDL - total cholesterol is normal and HDL quite good, vLDL is low, but LDL is a tad high. More fiber should help, hopefully.

1 Like

One of my bucket-list meals!

1 Like

Have been eating borscht since for ever. Took a trip to my grandparents home town in what is now the Ukraine, and found that every town had it’s own variation of borscht. I can only think that under the Communist rule they were told what to produce in so far as produce and when. So if one area planted only potatoes, and another beets, you could see where the variations came from.
My Bronx living family made it with beets and beef.

3 Likes

Curious, all potatoes borscht?
(I looked online, it exists…)

Chicken looked juicy. Just by looking at your photos, I thought you were at a restaurant.

2 Likes

My family left the area about 1900 and I visited about 10 years ago. Therefore yes, I had a “borscht”, which I would call a potato vegetable soup, but on the menu, it was called borscht. …I assumed, although I spent about 3 days in the area perhaps naively so, all soup of the area around Liviv was called “borscht”…

Finally found the time to clear away the dead plants and popped in soil some broad beans. Should have done it earlier, well let’s see…

Diner yesterday, grilled pork ribs marinated with Kimchi brine, brushed some honey in the last minutes for caramelised top. Mr. N loved it.

A version of Hiyayakko salad - cold tofu with some Shimeji mushrooms and some Furikake seasoning.

Sunday night was a cod with a crispy top - almond powder, lemon thyme, lemon zest and olive oil.

Some small crunchy cucumbers seasoned with Japanese pepper with orange peel.

20 Likes