What’s For Dinner #42 - 2/2019 - the Hearts & Flowers & Brrrr-Chilly Winter Edition

Beef braciole. Ready to be tied . Beef , s&p , red pepper flakes , chopped garlic , parsley , pecorino Romano, prosciutto. Ready to be pulled out of the gravy . And served. Sides will happen tomorrow .lol wine to drink .:wine_glass:Cheers .

20190212_213859

18 Likes

"Fit to be tied!"That looks amazing.

2 Likes

I have to say . Inspired by Italian grandmother cooks on you tube . 81 yrs old . Gina is the best .

10 Likes

My son introduced me to Italian Grandmother Cooks. So awesome!

1 Like

OMG yum!!

Now I want braciole. That looks amazing! What cut of beef did you use?

My neighbor growing up taught my Jewish mom how to make beef braciole in the early 1960’s. Mom would roll a hardboiled egg in the middle. My job was to pound the beef very thin, using a pot with a heavy bottom on a wooden board…
The bracioles were then tied up with butcher string, and as you did braise them in tomato sauce.

5 Likes

Top round . London broil .

3 Likes

This contraption is hilarious! And now, I desperately want one. I think spring onion would like it, too.

4 Likes

When I say I use a ton of garlic, I literally do
I dislike garlic from my local grocery stores which are from China
So, I usually buy Kirkland’s peeled Christopher Ranch brand from Ca. They come in 3 lb bag.

However, they often run out or what is left is about to expire. So, whenever I am there, I try to buy a bag.
I purchased a bag 2 weeks ago, since not cooking much nowadays, have almost a whole full bag.
So, I am crashing them ( found out my 2nd portable cuisinart food processor esp for garlic is not working, perhaps need need battery?) so, I am smashing them with my meat pounder after I cut off the ends and roasted it in EVOO for 350 degrees one for 40 minutes. I am not adding salt to them as I often use anchovies when I am cooking and might turn out too salty,
Will freeze them for future use.

11 Likes

Terrific way to use up the garlic and herb cheese. I usually avoid buying it because I know part of it will just go to waste, but this repurposing sounds really tasty.

2 Likes

Can the bag be frozen so one could take out a few cloves as needed? I’ve never frozen garlic…

You have to pry the frozen ones loose with ice pick ( messy ) but if I do not have too much to freeze as a new batch had been purchased, this is what I do.
Or, for a whole 3 lb bag, which is around $8.99 currently at Costco ( used to be $5.99)

1. Freeze in small batches in freezer , then store the frozen chunks in freezer bags. I would prefer to then store it again in my glass container as there are a lot and would last for a long time.
    2 . If you have enough of those old ice cube trays, you can freeze them in the ice cube tray and pop them out once they are frozen to store

You can also keep them in refrigerator for 1-2 weeks. for the ones. you need for immediate use.

Or freeze flat on a baking sheet or a baking pan, and once frozen, pop them into ziploc bags so they’re easier to take out when you need them.

7 Likes

Here is one tray ( the 3 lbs uses 3 trays) that I just popped into freezer
Here is another batch that were left over, I had popped them in freezer after freezer them separately, just took it out and they are individually frozen, no problem taking out whatever I need !
Probably a good way to use with butter and some parsley for escargot.
3BxQDxNQSAOOhjSIuv%20eCA|700x525

3 Likes

I see a road trip to your nearest Ikea!

I’ve used it in omelets and as part of the cheese mixture in quiche!

2 Likes

Agreed - it melts nicely, so particularly good in both!

1 Like

Perfect. I’ve been working my French omelet game lately and that would be a perfect filling.

Tarkay Walay chawal (brown rice) and aloo keema

9 Likes