Lunch 2023 (!)

@Cristina Have you made it where it hasn’t split? If not it might be worth trying without any additions to the egg first to get the technique down, and then experiment with adding things (you may have to dial back liquid a bit if your additions will exude liquid for eg).

Here’s a chawanmushi thread, and I like this guide for their precise instructions.

1 Like

Thank you! I was hoping for advice so I appreciate it. I did strain it a few times but I think my problem was my steam was too hot. I got impatient with how long it was taking (I checked after 20 minutes and it was very raw) so I probably turned it too hot. I also had the lid fully covering it which might have made it even hotter.

I’m making another batch tomorrow and will try it at a lower temp. How long is it supposed to take? I’ve seen recipes say about 20 minutes but I’m thinking it could easily take me double that if not more?

No this was my first ever attempt. I was worried about my proportions too. I did about 300ml stock to 3 eggs and I’m not sure if that’s on the high side but it’s a good idea to try and get the base itself down first. I’ve got plenty of the custard mix left so I’ll give it more tries to see if I can get it right.

Thank you for the links by the way! I’ll be checking those out before my next try.

(post deleted by author)

It should be 20 minutes.

But this will vary depending on the size and shape of your ramekin or chawanmushi cups, the ingredients in your egg mixture (the more meat, the longer the steam time), how much actual custard is in your ramekins or cups, and probably most important how thick the walls of your cups are.

I only steam 1 egg at a time - takes me 7-12 mins.

Was looking for my liquid proportion - found it: 1/2c per egg (though one recipe I learned from used the egg shell as a measure and did 3 iirc egg shells worth of liquid per egg - I am not great at cracking eggs so that wouldn’t work for me as the shell size could be anything when I’m done :rofl:)

There’s a way to cut the time in the microwave but I haven’t tried that enough to get my timing down.

Thank you @ipsedixit and @Saregama for the tips! I’ll try another batch today so fingers crossed it doesn’t split.

Sandwich
Capture1.PNG

Glamour shot of said sandwich
Capture.PNG

9 Likes

That’s a lot of raw onion. My kinda sandwich!

1 Like

The Bay Area “second summer” appears to have started, had some cold shrimp tostadas for lunch.

11 Likes

I hear you’re in for a hot one! Be safe!

2 Likes

Boy has it. :hot_face: :weary:

1 Like

My least favorite time of year! :sweat: :sweat: :sweat:

3 Likes

Fall/autumn weather has become crazy in Cali.
BITD, hikes in Point Reyes were pretty nice and the sunsets spectacular, but even in the early 70’s I can remember the sweltering hot, hot days and the smoke from the fires. No ‘spare the air’ days, then. Come Halloween, some kids would pass out during the school parades; those in the heavy bear and gorilla costumes had it bad.
We’ll never forget the Hills Fire of '91. :disappointed_relieved:
Spring was always my favorite time in the BA.

3 Likes

It’s taco Friday, so… Cajun shrimp, 5 spice Asian beef, and brisket tinga.

7 Likes

Another chilled lunch, of toast Skagen with tarako on dark rye

10 Likes

I felt well enough today to improvise rice porridge out of leftover cooked white rice and BTB. I added sliced deli ham, a packet of preserved mustard greens, and some ginger before eating. Not too bad, but it did lead to a nap.

11 Likes

Salmon salad.

Screenshot 2023-10-09 at 1.25.35 PM

7 Likes
2 Likes

Naps are good! And porridge can be comforting when you aren’t feeling well. I hope you feel better soon.

3 Likes