What’s For Dinner #42 - 2/2019 - the Hearts & Flowers & Brrrr-Chilly Winter Edition

I don’t even really care for pizza, but this looks very good. drool

1 Like

Private chef, what a privilege! :yum:
How do you find the book?

1 Like

The WoksOfLife recipe is a good reference. I strayed a bit - more aromatics, plus some cilantro stems and lemongrass because I had them.

Once the meat was cooked, I took it off the bone and returned the bones and skin to the pot, and pressure cooked it to get a stronger stock.

ETA: the green (scallion/ginger) sauce is utterly addictive - worth making in large quantity!

2 Likes

Seem to find a solution, at least for this experiment. For reheating the pie the 2 second time, the bottom was soggy, I preheated the oven with the maximum temperature at 275ºC/ 527ºF pizza mode, with a ceramic dish for at least 20 minutes, I tossed the remains of the pie 4 minutes in the hot dish. To my surprise the bottom crust was crispy… But it can be very delicate as the heat darkened the top at the same… can burn the stuff easily.

I read somewhere for crispy crust base, cook in low heat for 2 hours…

No, I used legs/drumsticks. My closest store doesn’t stock bone-in thighs, so for soup/stock I just buy legs.

1 Like

Started a March '19 thread here:

1 Like

:open_mouth: My actual face. This blows my mind.

LOL! I don’t think this works with flaky crust, it needs a higher heat to raise, maybe with a cookie crust or a shortcrust pastry.

1 Like

I do the same!

LOL, should do it the Chinese way for Hainanese Chicken… Use a cleaver to chop up the chicken in pieces WITH their bones and skins. :laughing:

I don’t like soggy skins, and the legs (drumsticks) don’t really need to be hacked in half given the concentration of meat :joy:

So better a richer broth!

When I have bone-in breasts as well, I do cut them up.

1 Like

I have a nice heavy duty cleaver but I still have never mastered this. I keep thinking about my poor knife and not wanting to ruin the edge. I also have thin cutting boards, and I find it doesn’t provide much cushion to the force I have use to hack through the bone it sits on my counters (even when I layer 3-4 together). I feel like I’m about to break the granite, or I’m not using enough force to cut through. I do miss having something like my mom’s 4 inch thick butcher block, but I would never need it for anything but chopping through chicken bones.

1 Like

2 posts were merged into an existing topic: What’s for Dinner #43 - 03/2019 - the SMarch Edition

haha, me too, I have never master the bone chopping. It seems easy when the guy do it in the Cantonese place (take away duck, or pork). I worry that my work top will suffer. Once I put the chop board on the floor, but I worried that my tiles would crack. I think one needs some confidence and strength to do it well.

1 Like

And then there’s the problem of bone splinters. Who can guarantee that the bones will cut into clean, splinterless pieces?

1 Like

You need a good sharp knife.

But it also has to be a fairly heavy cleaver. A normal sharp knife would chip when splitting bones.

1 Like

That’s right. Need a heavy duty chop board too. The normal ones are too fine and delicate for this. Actually I notice my cheap cleaver is not even sharp…but extremely heavy.

A post was merged into an existing topic: What’s for Dinner #43 - 03/2019 - the SMarch Edition

I am just getting into it, but it’s very interesting. So far, the recipes are delicious. My husband knows the author.

1 Like