What’s For Dinner #41 - 1/2019 - Clean Slate - New Plate Edition!

I only looked because your dish looked so good. :slight_smile:

couple of dinners… last night’s turmeric chicken and rice. loosely followed a couple recipes on line. Chicken sat for a couple hours in turmeric, cumin, a dab of curry powder, cayenne, minced garlic. Browned the thighs, removed, sauteed garlic and onion, added butter and sauteed basmati rice. Added chicken stock and a lot of turmeric (I’d add more next time). Boneless chickie thighs nestled back into the rice and finished in the oven. Green beans were butter-sauteed with crushed garlic, then tossed with a Greek spice blend that had a touch of cinnamon in it.

Tonight’s was boudin sausage i brought back from NOLA (Cochon Butcher), which we steamed, and black-eyed peas and Cochon bacon I made yesterday. Beans were smokalicious. And butter deviled eggs, with yellow mustard, a little mayo, splash of white vinegar, and Slap Ya Mama Cajun seasoning. All good, but i was too full from a big/late lunch at my sister’s to do more than nibble. the spoils all go to the BF for late night snacking as I’m still bursting. Oink.

11 Likes

I have recently returned from land of tagines, only now seeing your Tunisian tagine I realise Moroccan version uses no blue and the bottom is also not painted. And Moroccans like a lot of things very colourful, with nice tiles and mosaic whenever possible. Also, Moroccan tagines are not so deep. Tunisian seems twice as deep, I think.

Those things at the top of the photos are fans. Moroccan restaurants still cook with coals and wood.

Morocco - land of tagines (dates, palms, and olives.)

Handmade copper tagines are also beautiful. I resisted getting one.

I ate tagine many times of course.

This is a Vietnamese clay pot but it’s deep. They use it in the same way Moroccans use their tagine.

10 Likes

Looking at your photos of the Tangines, made me think: Ooh, I need one of those. Or, maybe two…

3 Likes

Do you use it to cook or for presentation?

My neighbour, who is originated from Algeria, told me that cooking tagine pot shouldn’t have interior varnish.

1 Like

The little potters shop I bought this from had many like the ones you have pictured - plain as well as well as brightly painted. There were only two like mine left, a small and a large - plain but with a tiny bit of blue.

He said the brightly painted ones were not for cooking, just serving.

2 Likes

The shopkeeper / potter I bought it from asked me the same question, and said for cooking I should take the plain terracotta ones or one of the last two with a little blue decoration. They looked so plain next to the pile of gorgeously colored stock… and I still regret not buying both!

There were both glazed and unglazed among the cooking tagines he had - perhaps there are preferences, or the unglazed need a different seasoning process…

1 Like

Those fans are called “bellows.”

2 Likes

WHAT?! YUM. Yogurt?! What was the temp you ate these at? My mind is blown.

Fried rice over the weekend, inspired by the shrinkrap’s fried rice thread. Clean fridge operation: chicken, chorizo, onion, lettuce and egg.

Saturday, was eating at a friend’s place.
Butternut soup

Beef chuck tajine with dried abricots and couscous.

Dessert was the galette des rois (kings cake), in puffy pastry and almond paste, a classic of January in France to celebrate Epiphany. I made a lime cake, soaked in lime juice and cover with a light frosting. We were talking and got a bit too involved, while the cakes were warming in the oven, the king cake got slightly burnt with the funny black colour on the top.

Yesterday was simple duck breast + mushroom, leek, cheddar and cream tagliatelle. I tried the “dried” cooking method suggested in the mushroom thread. The flavours was much intense. Thanks everyone!

14 Likes

i don’t know where you are, but they’ve just gotten so expensive near me - many cuts of beef are cheaper.

1 Like

They were the best thing on the plate! Lukewarm. Next time: adding sumac

2 Likes

Yummmm! Duck and pasta both look sooo good

1 Like

Made a frittata with crumbled breakfast sausage, zucchini, onions, and mozzarella.

13 Likes

Delicious! I wonder also how the custard version, kind of like the first photo but cooked by steam or water bath will taste like.

1 Like

Now you’ve got me craving some version of eggy custard :joy:

1 Like

ooh that looks good. I made another cauliflower tortilla (tortilla, frittata, whatevs) for lunches this week…

tortilla%20de%20coliflor

7 Likes

We had neighbors over for a playdate with heavy apps. A real dinner is out of the question.

10 Likes

So I’m planning to make Jerk pork. I marinated a tenderloin, and am thinking of smoking it. I loathe dry pork, and smoking seems to help the loin.

But I read this on Spruce Eats
Keep These Cuts Off the Smoker In general, any cut of meat that we consider “good”—like pork tenderloin or a good lean roast—should not be smoked

Anybody smoke tenderloin?

I would just grill it.

1 Like