What’s For Dinner #41 - 1/2019 - Clean Slate - New Plate Edition!

I believe you are right…but that would be too uncomplicated. :grin:

1 Like

Thought it would be enough to have the last of the barley soup, but I was very hungry.

So a DIY “hand roll” platter with leftover sushi rice, avocado, and smoked salmon, plus a package of seaweed snacks. Tasty and easy.

14 Likes

Done to perfection in about 15 minutes!

spent 8 hours shopping in nearby Virginia at Costco, Asian Store and Trader Joe’s ( for wine) yesterday
Got lost locating the new Grand Mart Supermarket store, worse asian store I have been at , expensive , not much products and no food court either
Could not find dried fish, lo gan ma products, not even horseradish powder or paste so, I just bought a few things that I absolutely need ( sesame oil, light soy sauce, spring onions ) and left.
Today, am cooking for my son as he had ordered food twice a week but has not gotten around to cooking . I was against the idea, vegetable, meat , etc came with direction to cook in boxes with dried ice. I have to worry if it was to be delivered on time and now, it seems we have 2 packages in the refrigerator since last week that he has not cooked yet. I refused to cook it as he wants to follow recipe and I am not the type to follow recipe, maybe use it as a guide but that is it.

So, am cooking some beef that he purchased these from the DC farmer’s market which I believe are short ribs . I browned them on high heat in my cast iron skillet after dusting them with sweet potato starch, added caramelized onions, garlic, bay leaf, freshly ground pepper, thyme, oregano, bay leaf , carrots, celery , beef broth, couple tablespoon of tomato paste and braised it on top of the stove in my 1940’s copper havard pot . ( I will not allow him to use my havard C splendid***copper pot as it is 4-5 mm tapering to 2.5 mm on top weighing 8 lbs. So, nobody use it except me and only when I am not in a hurry as it is really heavy. It is very old but looks like red gold ) I then added some pinot noir to it, then baby potatoes at the last hour. . Cooked in lowest heat for hours, then added a bit of potato starch to thicken it. He scooped some out into my onion soup bowl, after lining it with puff pastry sheets above and below, added some Kerigold Dubliner cheese, cooked it in the countertop oven til the pastry puffed. He says it tasted good. ( I am not allowed to taste beef)

k7ZAczxbQWOh5a%20P6Sqq1A|525x700

12 Likes

I uploaded more pictures but it did not appear !
How come pictures do not show in preview sometimes?

4 Likes

My type of quick meal. I’ve actually done this exact combination many times.

We had rice and noodle bowls for dinner. Choice of white rice or pan-fried crispy noodles. Topped with stir fry of Shanghai Bok Choy (steamed first), shitake and enoki mushrooms, green peppers, and chicken, lightly coated in Oyster Sauce. Avocado on the side.

4 Likes

What a gorgeous copper pot!

2 Likes

Roasted-broiled-not-smoked jerk pork tenderloin, peas and rice…( “The devil’s food”! With Sazon with achiote.

And precious collards!

13 Likes

Well… go figure. With just a few more nights here i finally found a really delicious delivery dinner! Falafel salad platter- the falafel inside was actually tender and moist (not the dry crumbley kind) and the white sauce was a tahini lemony thing. Generous portion, there’s a rice pilaf under the falafel, some spiced chickpeas in the corner.
Plenty leftover i’ll have for breakfast. Not a big fan of the so called pita that’s more like a dry lavash thing but whatever.

Optimistic about what comes next, have two interviews scheduled for next week

12 Likes

At least you’ll be eating well the rest of the week!

Fingers crossed on the interviews! Hopefully the prospective employers are located near better delivery options. :crossed_fingers:

3 Likes

Very little cooking on my end. My mom died last Friday. Sad but a blessing. Advanced debilitating dementia for 9 yrs. she was 91. The last few years have not been pretty. Lots of food brought by friends and family, I kept the bar well stocked and the coffee flowing. Big family with just the locals so it’s been rewarding to have them with us as well as our friends to celebrate her life

1 Like

Please accept my sincere condolences.
Former c oliver from CH

1 Like

Very sorry for your loss; glad you have family and friends there to be with you and to remember the good.

2 Likes

My condolences. It is bittersweet losing someone when you’ve been losing them in bits and pieces for so long. I’m glad so much family could be together.

5 Likes

So sorry for your loss.

Thanks. I have 26 first cousins on my Mom’s side. Almost as many on my Dad’s side but most of them live in Mexico City. My Dad died 29 yrs ago. He was my age. Too darn young

10 Likes

Looks perfect!

1 Like

Sorry for your loss.

On my way! Another toddler and more wine are cool, right? :wink:

2 Likes

That is the copper pot of my dreams! Gorgeous!

I hope he appreciates all the work you put into meals for him that you can’t even eat! Looks and sounds delicious!

3 Likes