Advice, or tutorials on cooking mushrooms

I’m liking the suggestions being offered here!

I’ve been making two different mushroom soups for several years. And I’ve recently started making Asian Stir Fries since becoming immersed in the posts I’ve read that Klyeoh/Peter has filed.

My fellow HOs are helping me become more adventurous, as proven so far by this thread.

2 Likes

I’m afraid I no longer have the recipe but I recall, years back, making lasagne with mushrooms and chopped walnuts.

There’s also Nigella Lawson’s mushroom burger, which is simplicity itself. Take a big flat field mushroom or a cultivated portabello. Season it as you might a burger and cook it similarly (I like a ridged griddle pan). Then treat it as you would your favourite burger.

2 Likes

One of my favourite things to eat. Mushrooms are versatile, use them in anything, almost.

In frittata, (Austrian-style) hash, fry in butter and pile on (cheesy) toast. Sub for meat, I have even made king trumpet skewers. In soups, with cream and chicken, steam together with fish, (faux) paté, part of a cheese fondue.

Add small pieces to mince when making dumplings. For this I especially prefer shiitake. Same idea but I steam the mince here:

Faux “scallops”.

French yellow chicken with cream and Riesling.

Meatless “bourguignon”.

7 Likes

@RedJim

Have you tried Asian straw mushrooms? I like both the fresh and the can version, it has an unique texture and taste. Especially those that encapsulate all the cooking juice in this form.

For ceps or porcini, the dried version has an aroma that you can’t find that in fresh version. So mixing both dried and fresh bring a more intense mushroom taste.

One of my best mushroom dish was a ceps pasta I ate at a restaurant, the pasta itself had an intense mushroom taste. I have tried many ways to recreate that dish: soaking the fresh or dried pasta in dehydrated dried mushroom water; accompanying the pasta with a super mushroom sauce. All didn’t work out, I suspect dried mushroom powder was added to make the fresh pasta dough.

And we didn’t talk about truffle yet. :grin::laughing:

3 Likes

The steamed Roe intrigues me. What kind of roe is used? Do you have a recipe?

1 Like

I find I have better luck cooking mushrooms if I sweat/brown them a bit in a hot, empty pan before adding fat. Otherwise they can soak up all the oil very quickly and keep needing more.

6 Likes

Have you ever tried smoking portobello? That is a unique idea. I don’t do it too much but it isn’t hard and if you like smoke flavor you can enhance some dishes. They soak up smoke flavor quickly.

2 Likes

K, so I’m that vegetarian cliché that loves mushrooms.
I truly believe mushrooms need soy sauce, so when i cook them i add a splash of soy sauce instead of regular salt.
For a very long time my favorite stupid easy way to make mushrooms was to add sliced button mushrooms to a baking dish with a bit of soy sauce and olive oil and roast a while, use a lot of mushrooms since they will shrink by about half. End result is delicious mushrooms and the most amazing mushroomy thin sauce from the baking dish! I would dump everything onto plain rice , or some thick toast to soak up that sauce too. Asian groceries often sell “king trumpet mushrooms” fairly cheap and they’re great sliced with a similar prep

I’ve made the ny times mushroom stew many times over the years when cooking for omnis, i do make the mushroom broth but use mostly regular button mushrooms and then the 8oz of mixed wild shrooms. Stupid NYT paywall now but this blogger published it

This SK recipe is another longtime favorite, totally worth making mushroom broth for, or use a good veg one like better than bullion

4 Likes

We used to make “mushroom pizza” where a portobello mushroom was the “crust”. They were very tasty.

Portobello mushroom cap - dust with flour - dip in egg - coat with corn meal - bake in oven (don’t remember exactly - probably 375 for 15 min) - top with tomato sauce, cheese, toppings - back in oven until cheese melts. Tasty, gluten free, can be vegetarian or vegan easily . . . . not sure why we don’t make those anymore . . . .

3 Likes

Any whole roe sack. Remove the membrane of the sack and mix the roe well with the beaten eggs. Season any way you prefer (“Asian” or just salt & pepper, or chicken powder etc). Pour into a heat-proof bowl and steam until just firm (not overcooking it as the roe will get tough).

4 Likes

Ohh, those king oyster scallops look really good. Will try them this weekend! Thanks Presunto for the inspiration.

1 Like

In Germany you can eat Jägerschnitzel. Unbreaded pork filet topped with creamy mushrooms.

At home I make mine Austrian-style, with Speck dumplings.

Mushroom with linguine.

Found some old photos of mushrooms I bought.

Dried boletus and chanterelles.

2 Likes

Sounds scrumptious. I do something along the same lines with balsamic vinegar at the end of sautéing mushrooms, especially white button mushrooms that could use a flavor boost. They get a splash of vinegar at the end of the sauté time right before I pull the pan off the burner.

Note that when the vinegar hits the hot pan it can be lung-clearing in much the same way that cooking with chile flakes is. So beware of that part. :open_mouth: l’ll bet I could try this with soy sauce to achieve a similar result without that jolt.

2 Likes

Mushrooms I saw (and usually bought some to take home) in my travels.

Parasol mushrooms. In Austria you cook these like Schnitzel.

The price of boletus at home makes me weep, but it makes me smile in Krakow.

Most stalls also sell the dried versions. The risk is getting a bag with maggots so be careful.

At markets here at home. I have eaten everything I have ever seen.

Pink oyster

These are probably the best mushrooms I have ever eaten. Do the price conversion :cold_sweat:

4 Likes

Simple Saturday afternoon sandwich…a large Portobello into the toaster oven, stem removed, bottom up a touch of salt pepper , a splash of evoo…bake at 350 until they soften and sweat a bit. Remove and put some blue cheese onto it, back in the oven to melt the cheese. Remove give it a few drops of excellent balsamic and put on a potato bun…

Served without the bun as an appetizer

1 Like

& Don’t overlook mushroom soup. Recently the local supermarket had huge containers of mushrooms in the clearance bin ( $1.25 for a huge container) which lead to a big pot of Cream Of Mushroom Soup.

I recently tried Beech mushrooms for the first time. They were different from a lot of other mushrooms - stayed much firmer during cooking. I liked them a lot.

1 Like

I’ve had this (or something very similar) in a small German town years ago. I only remember it because of the “conversation” with the waiter - his command of Engish being limited to a few words, as is my command of German. Mine certainly not including “pilz”.

I was on the brink of ordering something else when he conjured something up from his schooldays that I understood from mine - “champignons”

4 Likes

Gorgeous. All.

I think your photos just amplified my original inquiry…

How does one incorporate Bluefoot, or Comb Tooth, or Lion’s Mane into a dish that complements their use…

As long as I remember having those in restaurants, lion’s mane is especially good if you integrate in a clear seafood or chicken broth. The texture was interesting.

1 Like

:thinking: