What’s For Dinner #41 - 1/2019 - Clean Slate - New Plate Edition!

Many collard producing areas were hit hard by hurricanes and subsequent flooding. Not enough supply to meet demand so prices are up.

2 Likes

I see. That price may not be too different from what I pay to my CSA. I’m embarrassed to say that at the grocery store, if they look good, I buy them!

1 Like

What? The meal? Well, it’s a New Year’s tradition but Southerners eat it year round. The greens are for well and the peas for luck.

cauliflower and hard-boiled eggs (actually steamed for 12 minutes) in an ethiopian wat-esque sauce over leftover rice. There really wasn’t enough sauce to call it a stew, but next time there will be :slight_smile: It’s also a little short of traditional in that the minced onions are supposed to be browned without fat, but I borrowed an indian trick and toasted/bloomed black cardamom, cinnamon sticks and allspice in ghee before adding the onions.

It’s the first time I’ve done anything like this without consulting a single recipe beforehand (my native food language is stir fries), so I’m proud of myself for this one.

7 Likes

Congratulations! It’s nice to be at a knowledge/comfort level where you can do this. :clinking_glasses:

I was in Raleys yesterday (part of Nob Hill Foods, Bel Air Markets and Food Source) and they had ditalini as a house brand (I didn’t make the effort to see if other brands had it). It was less than $2.

Nice presentation!

1 Like

Oops, sorry I didn’t see all the other replies. I assumed that there’s more demand for kale here on the Left Coast so they grow more and can sell for less. I like kale but the lack of collards detracted from the meal for me :slight_smile:

Company meal: crudité with ranch dip and rosemary Marcona almonds to start, followed by braised oxtail over olive oil mashed potatoes, served with green beans amandine and yellow squash sauteed with sumac, garlic, and Urfa pepper. Our friends brought chocolate cupcakes with cheesecake centers.

14 Likes

Chicken and potato tagine, with parathas and rice. Lovely memories of the dish and buying the tagine on a trip to Tunisia.

17 Likes

So pretty!

1 Like

Thank you! I’m scared to use it too often!

2 Likes

Looks scrumptious!

I’ll admit I’ve never cooked oxtail… only eaten it a couple of times in soup…

Well, get over THAT!!! It’s incredible.

1 Like

It is really easy, either on top of the stove or in an IP… Think slow braise, with lots of good spices and flavors in the pot…it is also very forgiving and hard to ruin, unless you under cook it…
My first experience with Oxtail was perhaps back in 1977 when I first started working for a company located on 126th Street in West Harlem…good old fashioned restaurant that I frequented for breakfast/ lunch, and was always on the menu as a “special” ; at least once a week…

3 Likes

I did a quick look at my online file for recipes and didn’t have one. Basically cause as you say, it’s so easy. Gotta be the ultimate low/slow.

9 Likes

It’s a nice product

I’ve been doing them SV but are easy to drop in a soup or stew. Adds great flavor and the meat is so succulent

1 Like

Thankfully not insane day at work, although plenty busy, seems a lot of people took the day off.
It was SO COLD today! Counting down the remaining days of delivery dinners, needed something hot tonight. Ordered the mixed bean soup in tomato broth and stewed veggies that is always heavy on the carrots.

Side of so called sourdough pretzel crisps that aren’t memorable but made for a nice crunchy salty thing with the squishy veggies and soup

Lots of hot tea to drink!
Hope everyone is staying warm during this cold snap

12 Likes

Quick dinner after a stressful work day. Baked some WF pot pies. Veggie for me and chicken for DH. Added a salad and glass of wine. Off to bed early to try and regroup for tomorrow.

11 Likes

good to know when i run out. thanks!