What’s For Dinner #41 - 1/2019 - Clean Slate - New Plate Edition!

The IP will not fit in the deep pull out drawer that the conventional PC fits in. Outside of the digital nature of the IP it’s just a digital electric PC. Can’t say I’d use the IP much more than the stovetop PC.

There are only so many things I want to pressure cook. Chickpeas for hummus and other pulses and chicken carcasses for stock being the most frequent. Somethings I still like to cook lower and slower which produces a more flavorful end product in my mind

The real beauty of the IP is it introduced pressure cooking to the masses and made it mainstream. Punch in the time and go!

I haven’t ruled out a purchase but something on the counter has got to go

1 Like

Thanks. I also have a good-sized slow cooker so there would be even more redundancy. Sounds like more a ‘flavor of the month’ thing perhaps.

Yelp event tonight with several free apps, drinks, and a small dessert. We had a little bit of leftover chickpeas to finish filling our tummies.

I felt that way, too, but the browning and warming features, and smell containment, actually are nice perks.

2 Likes

I never did get into the crockpot craze either. Good old fashioned stove and oven has proven it’s worth.

1 Like

I really like the smells that drift through my kitchen when cooking. Gets the appetite juices flowing

2 Likes

I hear you, but not days later.

The party never ends…

Agree. And I use my DO(s) far more frequently. The browning, keeping it warm don’t bother me. Okay, I’m talked out of it again :slight_smile:

Depends on the space you have. My IP is higher than a similar capacity stove-top PC.

I have three of these with the top shelf having a higher space. I have a lot of my cookware in these.

1 Like

So true! I seem to be winning keeping the sickness at bay so far, i flip to comfort food when it looks like I’m down for the count :joy:

1 Like

Another long day, another creative director meeting to prepare for… Familiar salad, i’m rather skilled at picking out feta now. Added my own sesame sticks! I found them in my desk snack stash and they made a nice addition here.
Less sad because i used a real fork…

Hot tea followed by EmergenC and zicam for dessert

7 Likes

Got my first delivery from Imperfect Produce today so I unpacked the box and considered what I should use for dinner. A chicken boob was already defrosted in the frig. Decided on a baked potato smothered in a cheese sauce. The sauce was an onion, two roasted then diced Anaheim peppers, splash of beer, smoked cheddar, and fontina. Added the cooked diced chicken to the sauce and plopped on top of half a potato. Not the most colorful, but super yummy.

10 Likes

I was thinking the opposite!

"the trick is always figuring when to flip from comfort food to maximum health (like green juices and airborne) ".

1 Like

Hogmaws and chittlins!

Or chittlins and hogmaws.

Awwwww, beep beep! Bang! Bang!
Corn bread, hogmaws and chittlins! (https://youtu.be/MenOmqIBmIM)

True, dinnerware make differences in food. Especially your work day is long. If I were you, I would have brought a proper plate and bowl.

Looks like you’re winning with the dose of vitamin C. Keep it up.

PS Separating the feta, couldn’t you ask them not to add that when you ordered?

1 Like

The mother in law…But I will try to get it from her.

1 Like

** The mother in law…But I will try to get it from her.

Purchase Tripe from your butcher and ask them to order it for you, because for this product fresh is better.
Clean thoroughly before starting the cooking process. Wash under cold water and use a combination of salt, parsley or cilantro stems, lemons. You might want to soak it for 15 minutes with above in cold water.
This is a two step cooking process. First you make a sort of soup out of the tripe, then use the cooked meat in a stew.
For the “Caldo” or soup:
2 Lbs. of Tripe
1 medium onion
4 cloves of garlic whole
1/2 of a whole green pepper seeds and core removed
Salt & Pepper
Place all in pot and just cover in water (2 quarts) and simmer for 1 hour.
Remove tripe and cut into 1 inch by 1 inch oieces. Save the cooking liquid and discard the vegetables.

Next, make a “Sofrito” in your food processor of a large onion, two cloves of garlic, one large tomato (de-seeded) one medium green pepper (seeds and core removed), a fistful of cilantro, 1 table spoon of evoo, salt & pepper.

Put the Sofrito into a large pan and warm on medium heat and cook for about 4 to 5 minutes, add in cooked pieces of Tripe, and a cup of the cooking liquid and on low heat simmer for 1/2 hour. Cut two medium russet potatoes peeled into 1/2" x 1" cubes, add to dish and cook 10 minutes more. Add more of the initial cooking liquid if the sauce has reduced too much. Then add 1 cup of frozen peas and carrots and cook 10 minutes more. As the dish is now finished, add 2 tablespoons of peanut butter and mix well. Again if the sauce is too thick add some of the cooking liquid until the desired consistency. Add chopped cilantro at the last moment and serve along side white rice and top with chopped scallions.

1 Like

I do not cook pizza, my son does.
He uses Emile Henry’s rectangular pizza stone, heat it at 550 in the Vulcan oven for 30 minutes or so (? I do not get involved with the cooking), then, he places the dough in the hot stone for around 15 minutes. It does come out very crisp and unlike other people whose opinion is that EH stone is overrated, I do not agree. We take it out and leave it on the counter, use a cutting wheel. I have had that stone for many many years, I do not wash it till it has cooled down completely,often I just leave it on the countertop til the next morning. then I stick it back in one of the two ovens to store after washing it.
The only drawback now is that my son does not like toppings that I like. He only likes pepperoni and nothing else. I love mushroom, anchovy, and now I cannot eat red meat so, I wander if I can use my duck sausage there? Hmmmm!

2 Likes