What’s For Dinner #41 - 1/2019 - Clean Slate - New Plate Edition!

Thank you all for the kind words.

A decidedly not winter meal, but it hit the spot. We have a fairly new bread shop which also makes a handful of sandwiches, toasts, etc. This is the market veggie salad with a slice of bread slathered in labneh. Everything was crisp and refreshing. It was supposed to be lunch, but ended up being dinner. We are huge tennis fans, so most dinners the next two weeks will be consumed watching the Australian Open.

Market%20Veggi%20Plate

11 Likes

Dinner last night was briefly seared tuna ( was never frozen so I had to sear it ) I spread half of the tuna with a light smear of

Boursin chives cheese ( as an experiment) and the other half left bare and just used soy sauce and usual wasabi horseradish powder and SS mix. It seems the lightly cheese smeared portion is saltier
There is again left over stir fry duck breast with vegetables that my son loves. He says the duck breast taste between a cross of pork and beef .Wish I could use my Szechuan peppercorn but I only use it when I am cooking for myself as son does nto like the numbing sensation on the tongue.

10 Likes

Tripe used to be very popular in northwest England when I was a youngster (in the 50/60s) but it’s rarely seen now, even in the old fashioned market halls. It’s something I’ve never developed a taste for (and have been seriously put off in recenet years by andouilette de Cambrai which, not to put too fine a point of it, smells and tastes like shit)

the trick is always figuring when to flip from maximum health (like green juices and airborne) to comfort food.

1 Like

But isn’t that intestine? Whereas tripe is stomach lining. I’ve had it a lot mostly in menudo and find it more texture than taste.

1 Like

I’ve always understood it to be tripe. See also this link to the Cambrai tourism website - https://www.tourisme-cambresis.fr/andouillettes-cambrai

1 Like

And there’s this:

I’ve have intestine in a Chinese place and liked it. Had it again and it tasted like shit - literally. Wouldn’t try it a third time :slight_smile:

1 Like

I think the link you were referring to is this (correct me if this is not the case):

(The link in your post doesn’t work for me.)

I do enjoy Tripe if it is cooked properly… for instance in an Ecuadorian “guatita”…with peanut butter…I guess it is one of those dishes you either like or do not like…
But then again… different tastes are what we are all about…

2 Likes

I like fried intestine in Chinese dishes. But they need to be cleaned throughly.

@Harters
You should go ahead to eat to try tripes, they are stomach linings.

I bet you couldn’t eat kidney, that can taste really strong. :wink: The older the animal, the worst.

Do you cook it at home? If yes, recipe please.

Welcome bobcat! Just notice that you joined a day ago!!

2 Likes

I love kidney.

A restaurant I used to go to when I visited London used to do a starter of sauted chopped mushroom and kidney - served in a mustard cream sauce on toast. Really nice.

2 Likes

Lunch today was the precooked duck wings from maple leaf farm dipped in Jims Hot wing sauce. There were 15 to. a package for $8.75. Suggestion is to cook from frozen stage after spraying it with Canola oil, in the oven at 425 degrees for 12 minutes, flipped them over, for another 10 minutes and if one wants it crispier, broil for 2-3 min. Alternatively one can fry them. I did it the former way. It was good and tasty. Iforgot to take pictures until I started to eat. Also cooked in the oven Angelo’s Parmesan Eggplant purchased from Costco .
Dinner tonight is delivered (?), trial ordered by my son as he seems I am not cooking enough variety for him it seems or to take pressure off me. I believe he has to cook it still. Probably ingredients for quesadilla. It cost $40 plus for 2 meals each week. 9jpM4HJAQSG8kMN6i2d7%20w|525x700 MttCWkOOQxW5uYldklcXXw|525x700

2 Likes

am not sure why pictures did not show and why I was asked if I want to edit

7 Likes

The images links always start with “!”, just leave those exclamation marks there, and your pictures will be fine.

1 Like

I too have a stove top PC so have opted out of the IP craze as the PC can fit in a deep pot drawer and the IP would be a permanent fixture on the counter which already has too many inhabitants

2 Likes

So an IP can’t/won’t fit in a cabinet? I’d considered getting rid of my seldom used PC and getting an IP.

In to work at 7:15 this morning as I was taking a half day at work to help Mom get settled into a new private room this afternoon. She did well and hopefully no hiccups over the next couple of days as she gets used to it.

Dinner was as pull-from-the-freezer-and-fridge throw together pizza, with help from the microwave for a quicker defrost.

Pizza dough, chicken and mozzarella from the freezer, broccoli, red bell pepper, garlic herb cheese and heavy cream from the fridge.

Chicken was sliced and sauteed with s/p and dried marjoram. Broccoli and red bell pepper was roasted in a hot oven. Cheese and a blup of heavy cream was whupped together for a pizza sauce. It was all topped with grated mozzarella and sprinkled with grated Parm-Reg, and into a hot 500° oven until done…with a big air bubble in the corner.

It was very good. Half will be lunch tomorrow.

14 Likes

That looks super!

I do a few things when making pizza. I make up a recipe of Hazan’s onion-butter-tomato sauce and freeze in a mini-muffin tin. Then pop out and freeze in a zipping bag. One is enough to lightly brush on the pizza. Also anything like peppers, onions, mushrooms I slice on the mandoline and then blot for as long a time as I have between layers of paper towels. My TJs no longer carries the little cubes of basil frozen but we found it in another grocery. Mixed with the tomato sauce.
best%20pizza%20yet

And I’ve been using this technique for quite a while. My oven will go to 550.

11 Likes