What’s For Dinner #41 - 1/2019 - Clean Slate - New Plate Edition!

Playing with my Instant Pot again: corned beef & cabbage…

8 Likes

Glad to see you here again!
That’s really tough to lose a furry family memeber, regardless of the circumstances. My parents have an Aussie and he’s a total mama’s boy, the rest of the family is a distant second place!
All day stews are great, usually even better the next day. Hope it rains crazy buckets on you to make up for lost time

4 Likes

Hardly fresh as a daisy here but so far holding whatever is trying to take hold at bay! Diligently using that Zicam spray (which i think has zinc in it?) in combo with lots of vitamin C, green juice, not enough sleep last night and a long stressful day :wink:

2 Likes

Those carrots are huge! Were you pleased with the IP results?

Worked late, so same minimal options for veg friendly delivery. Tried a new to me “salad” and it won’t be a repeat… the left was like wilted spinach and greens (fine) and then there was steamed carrots- meh- steamed beets- the best part after i added salt- and some potatoes that were SO BAD I don’t understand!! I mean, were they canned?? Didn’t look uniform enough to be canned but can’t recall eating potatoes i disliked so much. There were some black beans under everything. And zero actual seasoning- nuthin’. Thankfully i have salt here which helped a bit
Side of that tasty fava bean puree soup.
Negative on that marzipan dark chocolate bar at the coffee shop today, i’ll have to get two next time i see them. May risk a chunk of one of the cookie jar cookies with my tea, not really satisfied from that dinner.

4 Likes

Crummy photo. But :slight_smile: Onion, garlic, mushrooms, cherry tomatoes, Hazan’s tomato/onion sauce, a dot of basil, two sausages from a local purveyor (insanely great), Parm. Linguini.

10 Likes

Yes! I’ve used conventional pressure cookers for years, so the IP is just a progression. Works well with corned beef. I usually like veggies undercooked, but we like the carrots & cabbage cooked well. We really like carrots & cabbage so I always make a lot. & yes they were big carrots. I should have left the new potatoes either whole or just halved as they fell apart… 3 min under high pressure for the veg, 80 min under pressure for the meat.

1 Like

I’m interested in the IP. Could you start a thread?

1 Like

I just did a search & there are several threads going aleady on IP. I’ll look at the entries to see if I can ad anything much…

1 Like

Pasta e fagioli and - first time making it, and maybe first time eating it? Can’t remember… but I loved the combo of beans and pasta. Ditalini my sister found for me, as I’d been searching for it in the area for months, as if it were some rare bird, Rancho Gordo’s Alubia Blanca beans. Also, roasted tomatoes. And added pancetta because the BF. He gulped down three bowls.

15 Likes

Tonight was smoked turkey, roasted sweet potatoes and green beans amandine.

Turkey will be used for sandwiches, a wild rice casserole and lots will be frozen for future meals. I roasted several sweet potatoes so leftovers will be used with black beans and coconut milk for soup.

This was a smoked turkey from Costco. The amount of smoke was perfect - just enough for interest without taking over the show. The bird stayed quite moist too. Bones are in the crockpot for stock. Timed it so the bones will go out with the trash tomorrow!

Plus - I got the wishbone. I’ll save it as a kinda “get out of jail free” card! :wink:

7 Likes

Ditalini pasta . Nice find

1 Like

Red beans and rice.

13 Likes

Hey, perhaps you can ask here about a “survival” pack of condiments, etc, given your current NYC/Phily work schedule, so at least when you have limited options, you can take the basic stuff you seem to be getting and turn it into something that you enjoy?
My suggestion would be an insulated lunch bag…not a small suitcase…
I would have portioned nuts and seeds of all types. some small cans of beans, peppers, mushrooms, different veggies. Spices again portioned in small envelopes and even some grated cheese packs which I have seen at Costco food court???
Just thinking out loud… obviously your current, daily work grind , although it might not last much longer presents a unique challenge…perhaps with all of the good brains we have here on HO…we can help others, with your although not unique but unusual experience

2 Likes

Awwww, I’m so very sorry. It’s so hard to lose them so quickly. :sob:

THAT looks amazing! Welcome back, Robin!

4 Likes

so sorry for your lost. If I lost anyone of my two poms, I would be devastated. I am glad. your other pup is happy . My son took my wolfie ( wolf sable pom) to Amsterdam for 13 days. When we went to the airport, his daughter Luna ( cream sable) saw Wolfie being dropped off at the airport. She instantly knew that Wolfie was leaving her, scratched and scratched the window with her paws, devastated for 13 days. Although he is her father, he has a different personality, loves company, would stay up all night when we have visitors until they leave whearas Luna clings to me ( she was under 2 lbs when she arrived) and when I retire when guests are here, she wants to retire with me. Let me share my babies with y ou, perhaps it can lift your spirit up a bit. IMG_0599

FullSizeRender

13 Likes

I just have to get thru this week and next week, usually delivery people are good with sending lots of condiments, and there used to be some salad dressing and mustard and such in the common fridge but i think cleaning people were over zealous and chucked it all around new year’s!

But yes in retrospect I should definitely have had a better strategy… it may be a very long time before any middle eastern food is appealing once i finish up here- it’s the best option I’ve found but burning out fast

1 Like

So sorry about your loss, a pup I knew was gone in a very tragic way (because of me), I was not able to get over but at least I had some good memories of that dog.

Glad that you are posting and your other pup is now by your side.

3 Likes

so sorry about your poochie… glad to see you back here.

3 Likes

Last night, meal was easy. Husband bought some cooked tripes, cooked in Spanish style with some boudin and chorizo.

11 Likes