What’s for Dinner #39 - Nov. '18 - The Beginning of the Holiday Season!

What sort of smoker setup do you have? You seem to use it frequently so I’m assuming it is pretty user friendly.

Although I aspired to own a Cookshack my Masterbuilt electric smoker has held in for the long run. And I hate to retire a faithful worker. It’s just the employer I am

1 Like

Smoked chicken, sauteed squash, cole slaw, cucumber vinaigrette.

11 Likes

To move heavy calories earlier in the day.

Soup dumplings and assorted other goodies. Dumpling skins were very delicate, but the flavor was less robust than the ones I usually get. Everything also seemed under seasoned, though I was wondering if I’ve just gotten used to heavier seasoning…

14 Likes

I had roasted a whole chicken but by the time we got to eating dinner all we wanted was tomato basil soup and grilled cheese. It was such a crisp, clear evening the firework displays in NJ’s Little India looked like Disneyland.

Rooster

10 Likes

Just googled cookshack . Seems nice
I have a MAK 1 , a little disappointed as I thought I would not need a MAK 2 sinc I have an infra red grill It was a mistake bec the next of Mak 1 is not SS.
The first time I cleaned it with a grill cleaner, the exterior had smudges all over from the cleaner. I wish there was a self cleaning smoker as those large hunk of butts or ribs has a lot of fat that drains inside the unit and it is a paint to clean it.
I suppose an electric one is better as one does not have to buy those pellets?
They have to be kept in humid free environment otherwise otherwise it will not work

Well that pretty much eliminates anything east of the Mississippi in the US!

Had to clean out out puff pastry to make room in the freezer.

Puff pastry pear galettes: https://zoebakes.com/2011/01/25/pear-galette-from-the-salty-tart/

Added sugar to the almond cream from above recipe and made mini king cakes.

Puff pastry blueberry tarts

I’m experimenting with puff pastry twix. I baked skinny rectangles and topped with caramel. I’m freezing them now and will then enrobe in chocolate. It would be easier if I had molds.

Edit: Oh yeah, dinner. Puff pastry “calzones” stuffed with ground beef, mozzarella, and tomato slices. Some of the cheese oozed out and formed a nice crust. Not pretty enough for pics, but of course puff pastry plus cheese will taste good.

19 Likes

Seared salmon and collard greens

16 Likes

Collards look great! Tender but still with a bite to them.

2 Likes

Thanks. Definitely not cooked to death

A week of 10-12 hour days.

765 invoices out the door tonight for all October invoices and the Nov 1-6 online political campaigns. That’s almost double what September’s invoices were. :astonished:

Plus all the other stuff I’m supposed to do on a daily basis.

It’s been a bitch of a week. To say the least.

So dinner was OHsofancyschmancy! Gorton’s crispy fish filets, a remoulade of mayo, seafood sauce, and horseradish. Rice pilaf and peas.

There was wine. Definitely wine. And some chocolate for dessert. And trying to catch up on DVR’d shows I’ve not had a chance to watch.

14 Likes

Really epic fails on the dinners when i am in philly- most days are really long. One night i called a peanut butter clif bar and an apple dinner.
I managed to miss my train last night, so I had a little time and went with the ho-hum avocado pine nut wrap from Pret (peeled off a lot of the blah wrap part).
Munched honey sesame sticks as an appetizer tonight

Followed @PHREDDY ‘s suggestion and picked up some nondairy sour cream that i had with my cabbage stew for dinner, was perfect for this chilly rainy night and excellent with the sour cream!
Not very attractive to look at. Kombucha a la carte

13 Likes

Gorgeous crust on the salmon!

Yup. Been there.

1 Like

I would happily eat that tasty dinner!

1 Like

Love the idea of the calzones!

There was a restaurant in nyc ages back where I was first introduced to puff pastry “pizza” - utterly delicious!

Belated Diwali dinner – ground turkey keema samosas, lamb biryani, palak paneer, roasted masala cauliflower and sooji halwa with pineapple for dessert.

(Incidentally, I was active on the other site a number of years ago pre-defection and got lost in the transition. I’ve missed this community tremendously for the past few years. Glad to be back.)

15 Likes

Thanks. I was pretty happy with crust I got. Cast iron, enough fat, good heat