What’s for Dinner #39 - Nov. '18 - The Beginning of the Holiday Season!

the last Mexican dinner for a while, i swear! i thought I’d effed up a tomatillo chicken by using Rancho Gordo garbanzos instead of hominy, so i shoved some sliced jalepenos into it and let it sit in the fridge for a few days. tonight i added crema and jack cheese and stuck it under the broiler, and voila! deconstructed spicy green enchiladas. The garbanzos were really tasty in this. Salad was tomatoes, radishes, poblano chile, and avocado in a cilantro/lime vinaigrette.

tomatillo%20chicken%202

17 Likes

i streamlined my samosas with puff pastry tonight… great to have in the freezer.

1 Like

welcome! i remember the handle!

4 Likes

Sounds delicious! Happy Diwali, and welcome :smiley:

3 Likes

Glad to have you back! Your Diwali dinner sounds delicious.

3 Likes

gorgeous gorgeous smoked salmon.

Your meals have been killing me. Makes you want to lick the skillet clean!

3 Likes

Chilly, rainy, grey day. Been a bit preoccupied with some family medical drama. So on the menu:

Comfort!

Finished up the chanterelles* by sauteing in butter, salt, white pepper, a slug of vermouth, the last tb. of cream and the last couple of soup spoons of sour cream. Served in a big bowl with egg noodles.

*Boy, these mushrooms lasted a long time! I transferred them to a paper bag as soon as I got home from Costco and tucked in the fridge. They have been used in bits and drabs for 3 weeks and were just starting to show minor bits of age. Good to know as I had passed them by in the past because I wasn’t sure how fast I could use them.

11 Likes

Thanks. Thick brine of brn sugar, salt, splash of maple syrup and a days rest in a zip bag in the fridge before hitting the smoker with apple wood

thank you!

thank you!

ooh i want to make that! our FM has a lovely variety of shrooms, i’ll have to hit them up next time.

Welcome, Mah! Glad you have have found us, finally. Most of us are from that wretched site so maybe you do recognise the majority of the users here.

Don’t underestimate how much one can teach another by telling them what they have eaten.

4 Likes

I used dry sherry a week ago and thought the flavor was nicer. The vermouth was good too!

1 Like

Nice to see you here!

My family would eat puff pastry pizza every day if I let them. Or keema patties. Actually, they would even eat plain puff pastry every day. It’s close enough to bakarkhani that it works as a chai snack. I’ll admit it’s a bit heavy for me. One pastry and I’m good for a few days.

3 Likes

Glad to see you here!

We were supposed to have our belated Diwali dinner, but it was postponed again because a different family member was out :joy:

So we had assorted meals. There was fresh margherita pizza for the kids, but I wasn’t feeling it. I had king oyster mushrooms with tare sauce (yakitori style but on cast iron pan instead) over rice.

I also made shami kababs (beef/chana dal) earlier in the day (family favorite… though not mine), made a second vegetarian round upon request (first try at those), and then speed cooked dal and baked off the bread I started in the morning to round out that meal (salad was the veg).

12 Likes

Still at the in laws. A few Pied-Noir cold cuts and grilled sausages, Spanish inspired I believed.

Boudin (French blood sausage) on top, left below Blanquicos (pork with cinnamon and anise sausages), slightly hot Longanisses (orange ones)

Boutifare Galabard (blood sausage, the big one behind) with the uncooked Blanquicos

Tomato olives salad

And red Bourgogne :wine_glass:!

11 Likes

Ha, this is still on my wish to do list. Will try to find time to make that after going home next week.

They looked so good!