What’s for Dinner #39 - Nov. '18 - The Beginning of the Holiday Season!

I would use the online references as rough guides. Arkansas Blacks, like most fruit I guess, taste different year to year, even from the same orchard. Some years I will only use them in baking. This year, I’ve had excellent ones. They actually taste like honey. (Unlike honeycrisp, which have never really tasted like honey to me.)

Today I bought Black Twigs. You could call them an heirloom apple. I find I have to keep them about a month after harvest before I like them. There are all sorts of mysteries with apples, always something to learn.

4 Likes

I appreciate both of you pointing me in useful directions. I’m not sure if they are avail in NJ.

The meringue failed so I’m serving the citrus with gelato.

4 Likes

OMG, I went a little crazy shopping, lol. So many sweet and savory bundles…I need to go through the stuff later. I caught a neighborhood candle lighting and several sand paintings.

3 Likes

4 Likes

Will the apple deepen in color within days as I just read? Was yours crisp?

It was very crisp. We only bought one with spare change - it’s gone!
My babe just just saw the photo as I was scrolling through and said “apple”!:heart_eyes:

8 Likes

Jambalaya rice mix with a bag of cauli rice, topped with sauteed bay scallops. Roasted okra.

12 Likes

:apple::apple: share is fair :wink:

Yup, I’m aware of that. I only pick apples from an antique apple orchard - the ones you can’t get in stupidmarkets. I have some AK Blacks waiting to be used, along with Baldwins and several other types.

2 Likes

Forgot to post: Sunday we went to Friendsgiving and brought a big winter salad with lots of fruit, toasted pepitas, and mustard-agave vinaigrette and cranberry sauce with apples, clementines, brown sugar, and spiced rum. (Forgive the sloppy leftovers pics)

15 Likes

Last week was Dr Loosen, which is a great slightly sweet one that’s prob more like $8 outside of manhattan, otherwise i look for something from Alsace and the back of the label usually indicates if it’s sweet or dry.
I adore Trockenbeerenauslese but that seems to get costly… also kn the sweeter side.
there’s good stuff from the ny finger lakes too.

1 Like

Appreciate it.

1 Like

Got home late from work and this was all I had the energy for. A nice thick slab of feta with EVOO and sunburst tomatoes baked at 400 degrees for 10 minutes. I ate it with some Finn Rye crisp crackers. Hubby and Small Girl Child had already eaten leftovers so felt no guilt. A glass of white port to end it all.

18 Likes

Pics of goodies please!
I haven’t been to the indian stores at all this season…

1 Like

That looks amazing

1 Like

Thursday night already! This week is super busy, 5 hours with 3 trains to visit husband’s family. Tonight mil made veal with olive and lemon confit stew, similar to the moccoran chicken I made, very good.

(Forgot the photo, this was the leftover in the pot)

A few of this week’s meal:

Pork tenderloin, chardonnay, onion, mustard

The remaining pork was ate with home made chicken broth noodles.

Chicken meatballs with a caramel honey sauce, meatballs were delicious but a bit too sweet with the sauce.

Ingredients for the meatballs.

Clean fridge operation before trip: a simple roasted chicken with potatoes

Chili from garden, cucumber, leftover leaves tomatoes etc salad. Actually, quite good.

18 Likes

Great meals!

3 Likes

just curious… why “dinner” for breakfast?

Portioned out a side of salmon from Aldi. The belly and tail went directly on the smoker. Squaw candy. No offense intended

12 Likes