What’s for Dinner #25 - 09/2017 - the Autumnal Edition

You have the perfect spot for entertaining! Just lovely.:slight_smile:

Thanks. There were 3 parties in 10 days from Aug 31 to Sept3.
Different style from when my husband was with alive, , more formal affairs
Now, it is our son’s parties whenever he is in town.

I do have neighbors but they are a bit far, and not around.
One to my right only comes home Friday night , leaves Saturday
The owner on my left passed away over 20 years ago, gave it to his 2 sons in NC , who finally sold it 2015. However, that new owner 2015, has been transferred by his work at IKEA to China in 2017.

Visitors who frequent these parties wants to buy these places but they are not interested in selling!

All that space requires a lot of maintenance because of the gardens. Almost a full time job for me…

Amazing home and property

That is very nice. So when is the “Official HO Party” at your place?

4 Likes

anytime u or members are in the area, you can cook for me if it is not crab, oyster or rockfish season
of course, i do not have strength to pull crab pots or oyster pots unless my son is in town
i would like that

1 Like

Without getting too personal, where are you located? (just state or county etc)

thanks
there was a question re how Carmel was in the '80’s?
My husband and I were in Carmel for the first time in '73 for a conference combined with our honeymoon.
We loved Carmel. The scenery, seafood, shops were just like a paradise.
Returned twice in the 90’s to meet artist in Carmel, traveled by car from LA thru Route 1 , Big Sur, Carmel and finally to our destination in Portland Oregon.
Carmel and Big Sur is still my favorite place in the US.

3 Likes

Carmel CA? As in Clint Eastwood? Funny, I have a cousin who has a water front home there, he has offered it to me should I ever want to take the trip, which I might. Looks like I might be pulling up some oysters for you !!

I am located in Southern Md, Calvert County at the shores of the Patuxent River.
When I met my husband, who grew up in DC with a weekend place on Scientist Cliffs on the Chesapeake Bay, I fell in love with the bay but unfortunately, there was no available waterfront lot available, just water view.
This property was originally owned by Louis Goldstein, President of the US Senate, then ten terms as Comptroller of Treasury of Md. He was a friend of my in-laws. He asked where I wanted to live, my mother in law told him that I was born and raised in the Philippines and wanted waterfront home, so I can commute to work in DC., 45 miles away.
Louis suggested we look into this property, thought that it would be more appropriate for us since we already have a bay front cottage as it would be easier to keep a boat on the river than on the bay.
It is just our luck that the second lot became available within 3 months after we purchased the first lot. Over 900 ft of waterfront is a rarity here.

Also, very fortunate to have as neighbors in Scientist Cliffs who worked at the Arboretum, with their own nursery that provided me with a lot of my collection of rare plants and trees.

I am just getting too old to maintain this garden without my husband’s help. Have been advised to use it for wedding parties etc to help defray the upkeep but worried about the wear and tear.

5 Likes

what is that, a drone??

amazing spot!

@ccj. That is a beautiful home. I admit that I could only watch about 30% of the video before I started to feel a bit drone-sick and woozy, but loved seeing where you throw these great parties. Those gardens must need lots of tending indeed. I don’t suppose that there is a landscape architecture school nearby that would offer free interns to assist in keeping the gardens maintainable, is there?

Sounds like your son is too busy to help you with that, which is too bad. It would good for him to know how to care for those plants.

2 Likes

Yes, it is a drone that a guest brought over.
It works for 2 h ours with one battery 'He brought 2 batteries, so the drone flew over the top of the party most of the times as the guests were dancing to the music of 2 DJs ( my son being one of them as he worked as a DJ before in Ibiza )
It was especially awesome after dusk as one can see it like a helicopter fling above ice the fireworks was finished. It hovered over the guests.
The owner edited the video down to 40 minutes, my son edited it some more so I can show my friends in Hungry Onions the party scene.
I think I will purchase one in the future ( equipment gets cheaper later) just to examine the roof tiles whenever we have a storm here. Hate to have people walking over them.

2 Likes

No, there is no one here to help
My sister in law who lives in DC, inherited the su emmer cottage nearby on the Chesapeake Bay, does offer her service once a week pulling weeds etc at Merriweather Post.
When my husband was alive, retired, he worked building stone terraces and helped me with the garden.
We also had a worker who is here 20 -30 hours/ week but that costs money which I cannot afford now that I am retired.

Oh, I think you misunderstood me
When I answered re Carmel, it was replying to someone who asked how is Carmel in the '80’s
I believe that was a question to Ttrockwood who is there presently
Maybe I should not have offered my sixth sense(?Is that the correct terminology?)
I love Carmel.
In an ideal world, I would love to have a place in Carmel.

My house is located in Calvert County, Southern Maryland. It is 30 miles downstream from Chesapeake Bay, and Solomon’s Island.

2 Likes

Picadillo with what I had on hand

Yellow, red, orange and jalapeño peppers, diced tomatoes, garlic, onions and raisins with ground meat and cumin.

Served over white rice

8 Likes

Fried Chicken, Cole Slaw, Mac n cheese:

Mac n cheese made with extra sharp Vermont white cheddar (Cabot), Jarlsberg, and Parmigiana Regianno in a heavy cream Mornay with a generous shot of Tabasco.

6 Likes

Michael Ruhlman recipe for spaghetti with fresh tomato. Simple green salad. Wine to drink.:wine_glass: Cheers

5 Likes

Dinner tonight was some left over crabs
I shelled the crabs, remove the legs and inedible parts, cut the body in half, shelled the claws . Using recipe for shrimp and lobster sauce is how it was served.
By that, I sauteed 3 small onions, the white parts of spring onions, crushed peeled ginger and some garlic in olive oil
added fermented dried black beans, one pound of ground pork till browned, added shao hsing wine, white pepper, soy sauce to taste, then the crab meat, then chicken broth,bring it to a boil, then thickened with sweet potato starch and lastly, 2 scrambled eggs and a splash of

, sesame oil and pre fried shallot from the Asian Store.
It was served with rice, was very good
Picture does not give it justice,
There will be on more batch of crabs but the weather is turning cold and they re starting to migrate to the bay.
However, the rockfish have migrated here and are jumping up and down.

8 Likes

I eat quite often, a similar dish recipe from Jamie Oliver. A bit different from your Ruhlman recipe, there are less garlic, only 1 clove but freshly pressed uncooked. No draining of tomato water, but a splash of wine vinegar with a lot of herbs and lots of cherry tomatoes.

1 Like