What’s for Dinner #25 - 09/2017 - the Autumnal Edition

I don’t think I am going to use that much garlic . Maybe one ore two cloves as you do . And a little less butter .

Mine has no butter, only olive oil. I will try yours, as I have still a lot of tomatoes.

It will be the first time making it for me. I never use butter in my sauce. I might skip this. Depends how I feel. I’m not a recipe follower anyway.

Hearty brinner in bed to end a mental health day out of the office - ribeye with half sunny side up over easy and half sunny side down over hard with a sprinkle of Seaside cheddar

I love a cozy dinner in bed breaking all the rules I grew up with but be prepared to defend your plate

11 Likes

It is a djiphantom-4-pro drone
I was mistaken, I thought he said 2 hours of fly time but the site says each battery last 30 minutes’I
I guess the owner brought 4 batteries, also 2 landing pad tables, and he had a screen slightly smaller than my IPAD so we can watch the videos it is being taken.
I am interested in getting one , that is why I am googling. ( to look at my roof tiles after a storm) rather than sending someone up there to inspect the tiles etc.)

1 Like

I grew up just outside of carmel/big sur , about 20min inland is my parents’ house (they don’t get the fog that the coastline does). I visit about twice a year, was just there the end of august.

I make it a point to walk carmel beach each visit, i never appreciated the white soft sand until i moved away

9 Likes

Well i apparently was so mesmerized by my fresh figs that i fotgot to buy radishes last night!! Yeeesh. (I had the rest of the figs with some almond butter for breakfast)

I did get nappa cabbage and kimchi so i went with a garlicy cabbage stir fry with some sesame oil and soy sauce, took that out of the pan and seared some cubed tempeh in a similar sesame soy mix til the edges got a little crispy. Kimchi in the side. It needed a dribble of black vinegar but turned out pretty tasty. Next time i think i’ll make a sauce from the sesame paste and vinegar and soy to get more sesame flavor

4 Likes

It was me asking but I was referring to the temperature :slight_smile:

I liked the Michael ruhlman pasta with fresh tomato recipe.As I am, not a recipe follower. Tweaks and adjustments to recipes should be a whole other thread. Anyway loved it. Just another inspiration.:cowboy_hat_face:

5 Likes

Dinner simplisimo! We returned from a weekend trip and didn’t have time yet to go to store for food. We ate what we had in the fridge and of course tomatoes.

Tomatoes with mozzarella and basil

We brought back some pâté de tête (head cheese) from our trip, this pâté is made of pork cheek and tongue, pickles and pepper, very good.

Finished with rigati pasta with bacon and basil tomato sauce.

9 Likes

Tonight I had an old time favorite stupid simple “recipe” - Nom Nom Paleo’s cracklin chicken with yummy brown bits from a less than clean cast iron pan and a side salad with Hollyhock dressing.

8 Likes

The chicken looks fabulous - I may need to try it! Is Hollyhock dressing this one from Hollyhock Hill?

https://hollyhocklife.org/recipewednesday-hollyhocks-famousyeast-dressing-revisited/

Thanks!

Yup that’s it, it’s so good but I love anything with nutritional yeast so it was a guaranteed winner for me and I always have some in the fridge.

1 Like

Dinner tonight was paella for 2 using the 12" sertodo alicante tin lined copper pan as it is that rare occasion when paella is only for myself and son. ( i use 18" and 36" pata negra pan for company) I regret buying the tin lined copper because it is not easy to scratch the socaratt out for fear of damaging the tin lining even with the use of silicone spatula.

Used Italian deli’s Andouille sausage to make sofritto with caramelized onion, diced carrots, pepper, and grated tomatoes. shrimp broth ( shrimp shell that was pre oven roasted ) 3:1 to arborio rice with pinch of saffron and smoked spanish paprika from the freezer. I used bomba rice, 3:1 ratio ( broth:rice) Needed a little extra broth, so I added 1/4 cup of left over rose wine.

For the seafood, I cooked my shrimp, flowered squids, and frozen clams from the Asian store) separately using my wok with chipotle and adobo sauce and a tin of anchovy in olive oil. Since I am only cooking for 2, I want the rice to be about one inch and to use clams with shells would take away space which is essential for a good socarrat.

This is not typical authentic paella as I like it spicy and I try to play safe in cooking my seafood till almost cooked, and added it to the rice when it was almost ready . I find this to be tastier that adding seafood to the paella without pre cooking it with favored spice such as the anchovy and chipotle.

I also prefer not to overload my paella with meat or seafood as I want the rice to shine and be the star of the show. Th sofritto was very well spiced also which gave the added punch to the rice. My son thinks it is one of the best paella he has had and he had quite a lot of experience living in Spain for many years.

The flavor was very good, but the socarrat was not crunchy enough. In retrospect, I should only use 1 cup for the two of us rather than 15 cup per my son’s suggestions so we can have left over tomorrow, The extra half cup made there rice thicker, so, had to add more broth to cook the rice, ergo socarrat was not

crunchy though it was there.

Did not go to store, so I do not have parsley, Just served i t with a squeeze of lemon and pinot noir.

8 Likes

I don’t usually do much low carb experimentation with this and that ingredient to make it behave like something it’s not but I’ve been home a lot this week so decided to experiment with a mini deep dish crust. It turned out ok, not bad but reminded me why I don’t bother with this stuff but worth the rare experiment.

2 Likes

What did you use for the crust? Looks like one of those cauliflower/almond meal things? I find the best way to make LC deep dish is just to use sausage for the “crust,” then add sauce/cheese/vegetables on top.

Want Want Want Want Want Want Want Want Want Want Want Want Want Want Want Want !!!

2 Likes

It’s basically the same mish mash that people use to recreate everything and claim somehow they taste differently - almond flour, mozzarella, egg +- cream cheese.

I’m the same. If I want pizza flavor I do meatza with ground beef or chicken breast or for a smaller meal I’ll do cheese crust skillet pizza or tortilla pizza with Siete foods tortillas.

1 Like

Work.
Oy.
Downpour.
Driving.
Sucks.

Visiting.
Mom.
Saturday.
She.
Needs.
Freezer.
Food.

So?
Chicken.
Corn.
Chowder.
And.
Garlic.
Bread.

Wine?
Hellz.
YEAH!

Good.

6 Likes

It’s getting to be fall.

Venison back straps (strip loin) with a Mushroom Balsamic Pomegranate reduction; Squash, Peppers, Onions and Cherry Tomatoes sauteed with fresh Basil; and Yukon Gold Potatoes roasted in EVO and Seasalt with Rosemary and Candied Garlic.

Veg except onion were all fresh from garden.

7 Likes