What’s for Dinner #25 - 09/2017 - the Autumnal Edition

I’m roasting a chicken tomorrow … no figs but I did pick up Italian plums
This looks so good

1 Like

I was at my best friends’ apartment this afternoon which turned into dinnertime and cooked most of the dinner for everyone (her mom and his mom are staying with them right now, plus another two friends that were over).
She is very very pregnant so i told her to sit down and made the broccoli salad she loves (raw broccoli, lots of sunflower seeds, a mayo/yogurt dressing with cider vinegar, thin red onion quick pickled), her husband grilled omni proteins and marinated tempeh for me. I made hot crash potatoes, and a garlic lemon doctored up mayo for the steamed amazing artichokes her mom brought with her from CA.
The hot crash potatoes were the biggest hit and gobbled up quickly!

7 Likes

haha totes!!

oh my god, that Brisket!!! i need a cigarette after that one!

1 Like

how do i get to be your close, personal BFF so i can get an invite too? no ulterior motives, of course…

4 Likes

hope his toofs are healing nicely…

hah - i got the Dukes for like $4.00, free shipping, when i spent $50 at Target. and i needed a new toaster oven. So yeah, only cost me $54! worth every penny. (:wink:

4 Likes

weekend was away, Dillon Beach in Bodega Bay, with 12 friends and some kids, beautiful big house with a million windows and a terrace overlooking the Bay, grill, hot tub. fabulous good time. Lots of sangria, bubbles, amazing martinis, etc. i made dinner for both nights - first night we had an app of provoleta - argentine melted provolone dish with oregano, chili flakes, chimichurri, and bread for dipping, a white bean/anchovy dip, and for the main, shrimp/andouille/corn/potato packets with Old Bay, melted butter & lemon - FANTASTIC, better than I imagined. Also a cuminy slaw with red & green cabbage & scallions. Friends made bfast - blueberry buckles, pancakes, bacon, eggs, french toast, fresh berries, etc. Sat. lunch we stuffed ourselves at Marshall Store with dozens upon dozens of raw oysters, bbq’d, with chorizo, and other permutations. Bottles and bottles of bubbly there too. First time going there, can’t wait to go back. On our last night we did build-your-own tacos from arrachera steak (marinated in mezcal, among other things), mahi-mahi, papaya salsa, regular salsa, loroco cheese, hot sauces, esquites corn salad… we hit Cowgirl Creamery on the way out for cheese/snacky lunch. we’re already planning our trip next year!

last night BF made tacos from the leftover arrachera.

15 Likes

Where’s @Scubadoo97? Last I heard he was sipping Armagnac during the hurricane. Hope you are OK, man.

Nice neighbours and friends, everyone. Mine suck, don’t have the later (by choice).

:beers:

1 Like

Infrastructure took a big hit. Lack of power and internet means updates have been slow.

2 Likes

Pan sauteed chicken quarter with rosemary and garlic. Steamed green beans with toasted almonds. Wine to drink.:wine_glass: Cheers. Back here in Santa Cruz for a week then headed back North.

6 Likes

He posted the other day on a different thread so I felt that was a good sign. I have family near him, they got power back yesterday, cable/internet/telephone back today. Fortunately that area was a little west of the worse of it. Hopefully his services have recovered as fast!

5 Likes

Bun Cha, chili lime shrimp, five spice ribs, rice noodles, Thai basil, mint, romaine, daikon, cucumber:

The Bun Cha were delicious.

4 Likes

I’m here. No damage, just a ton of yard debris. Spent all day yesterday removing a neighbors bamboo leaves from my deck and the bottom of my pool. No power at my office so I was home doing yard clean up. Never lost power at home.

A few tense moments but the Armagnac help to ease the nerves. No hurricane damage so now my Euro trip is back on to buy more Armagnac :+1:t2::+1:t2::+1:t2:

15 Likes

The man bought me the Stok grill I’ve been eyeing and I had a pretty good time playing with it last night… we’ll be eating leftovers until the weekend. :slight_smile: Tonight I chose the chicken thighs and cauluflower with ras el hanout. Yum!!!

I’m looking forward to getting the inserrs for the Stok… endless possibilities!

6 Likes

Tonight was local vegetable night. Gazpacho made with tomatoes and serranos from our garden, onions from Bolton, cucumbers from Lincoln and garlic from Lexington. Cole slaw was cabbage and carrots from Concord, onions from Bolton and apple cider vinegar from Lancaster. The end of the summer is clearly coming. Our tomatoes are slow to ripen and we are wearing sweaters in the evenings.

7 Likes

I needed to stop at my neighborhood whole foods for “a few things” (ok fine, kimchi and radishes!!) but next thing you know there’s a basket of gorgeous perfectly ripe figs coming home with me too… !
I made a savory yogurt bowl with plain greek yogurt i mixed with a lot of black pepper and some lemon juice, then added a big handful of baby arugala, some of the figs cut in quarters, dribbled with a basalmic glaze condiment from trader joes, some olive oil, salt, and sliced almonds.
Totally hit the spot. Gingerade kombucha on the side. (I tasted my homemade batch and it’s not ready to bottle yet…)
I also picked up one of the delicious vegan molasses cookies from the bakery so I’ll probably have a chunk of it for dessert before long with my tea.

2 Likes

@Ttrockwood. You are just a smidgen predictable! I am lucky to have a small Korean market at the bottom of the hill that makes their own kimchi which I can buy at different fermentation points. I especially love their seaweed salad and anchovy banchan thing.

3 Likes

Here is a video of the labor’s day party held in my home
We had home grown blue crabs ( 70) , lots of oysters, oven roasted asparagus with reggiano parmegiano, corn, wine .
Had over 20 guests, requested them to bring their own beer, a side dish or dessert.
I am in the early part of video walking toward my home with my shadow, Luna following me while my Wolfie is on the lap of a guest.
The drone centered mostly on the party, had a glimpse of part ofthe northern part of the property which is a peninsula, bordering on a cove.
There was fireworks at dusk

8 Likes

Dizzying but otherwise it’s cool. You have no neighbours! I’d love that and all that space!

1 Like