What cookbooks have you gotten / added to your wish list - 2023

100 Morning Treats by Sara Kieffer on order. Love her Baking for the Holidays. With every book i keep telling myself thats the last one.:rofl:

4 Likes

SCANDINAVIAN FROM SCRATCH by Nichole Accetolla
A Love Letter to the Baking of Denmark, Norway and Sweden

Nichole owns the bakery Kantine in San Francisco. When David Lebovitz was in Calif. this year he did a podcast with her. Everything sounded delicious and I would love to go to Kantine. Her book is due out in Oct. this year.
Have any of you that live in the Bay Area went there?

1 Like

For the new year, I’ve been excited to explore some new cookbooks that have caught my attention. One recent addition to my collection is ‘Flavors of the World: Global Culinary Adventures’ . It offers a diverse range of recipes from various cuisines, allowing me to embark on culinary journeys right from my kitchen. I highly recommend checking it out! Have you discovered any interesting cookbooks lately?

1 Like

Wow, that looks like a great book. Not in any of my local libraries so I might spring for a used copy.

Meanwhile, I found a few recipes to get me started:

3 Likes

Was browsing kindle the other day and noticed how books have become more expensive! Still, I could convince myself to get a few new titles. :slight_smile:

Inspired (mostly) by my recent trip to Hong Kong, Malaysia and Thailand.

• Bangkok: Recipes and Stories from the heart of Thailand - Leela Punyaratabandhu

• The Little Cantonese Cookbook - Deborah O’ Neil

• Uncle Lau’s Teochow Recipes - Lee Leng Tan, Chiap Khai Lau

• Art of the Chicken - Jacques Pepin (only one below 5 dollars!)

Special mention: Antonio Carluccio’s ‘A recipe for life’, a biography. Read this in the airplane, really nice book about this BBC tv chef growing up in 1950s Italy and his subsequent career as a chef.

5 Likes

Perhaps your local library will purchase it. Mine has a “suggestions for purchase” page on its website. As long as books were released within the past 3 years, they will consider them. I’ve been very lucky to have several approved and in the library over the past few years. We have a VERY good cooking section now.

Another library option is to see if they are part of the inter library loan system. I’ve used this to get titles delivered to my local branch. It’s fantastic!

I LOVE MY LOCAL LIBRARY!!!

11 Likes

For those challenged to cook while experiencing health issues this one mentioned on EYB caught my eye. Recipes that minimize standing or moving. While the title says “back pain”, I’m thinking anyone with trouble standing would find good hints.

The Healthy Back Kitchen: Move Easier, Cook Simpler: How to Enjoy Great Food While Managing Back Pain by America’s Test Kitchen and Griffin R. Baum

6 Likes

Thank you for that link! I live with spondylolisthesis, and an occaisional setback can do me in for periods of time. I will look into this book.

3 Likes

Just in time for summer, I learned that the duo behind Honey and Co have a grilling book: Chasing Smoke: Cooking over Fire Around the Levant

7 Likes

I was gifted for Mother’s Day, Sweet Enough, but haven’t thoroughly perused it yet. I do typically like AR’s recipes though, including her sweet stuff.

I’ve bought quite a few in the past couple months, including Recipe Tin Bakes, The Curry Trail, Coconut Lagoon, Smuggler’s Cove, The Margaritaville Cookbook, and a few others, mostly ones I’ve heard about here on HO. Although it doesn’t take much persuasion, I find this thread quite triggering! :woman_facepalming:

7 Likes

Trying very hard to resist Eclairs by Christophe Adam.

I haven’t had a good eclair in years. It probably won’t take much to put this one on a stand in the kitchen.

Cravings are evil.

3 Likes

Used books sucked me in again over the weekend:
Burma: Rivers of Flavor
The Splendid Table
Margaritaville (great minds think alike)
The Pressure Cooker Gourmet
Friuli Food & Wine

4 Likes

Burma is fantastic! Who would think you could get so much flavor from shallots and turmeric?

4 Likes

I got Bobette and Belle as a birthday gift https://www.amazon.ca/Bobbette-Belle-Classic-Recipes-Celebrated-ebook/dp/B01AHKXI42 It came from a friend that is an excellent baker so I am hoping that this is a good sign!

6 Likes

We (me anyway) seem to be uninformed about Canadian cookbooks. For some reason they don’t seem to come up on my radar. Does anyone have favorite cookbooks from Canada?

2 Likes

I LOVE The Ace Bakery Cookbook, and More from Ace Bakery. Sweet and savory baking recipes, plus soups, sandwiches, and other stuff.

2 Likes

This is an oldie but a goodie: https://www.amazon.ca/French-Food-Home-Laura-Calder/dp/0060087722/ref=sr_1_1?crid=1EUH1E5ESJYBW&keywords=french+food+at+home&qid=1685705070&sprefix=French+food%2Caps%2C296&sr=8-1

2 Likes

Thank you, I will check into that while repeating the mantra, I don’t need that lol. :stuck_out_tongue: seriously, I’m so bad when it comes to buying cookbooks!

2 Likes

Lucky me, I won the EYB drawing for TAVA by Irina Georgescu. Looking forward to reading it.

11 Likes

I’ve gotten much better, only buy about 1 per year.

My vice is running off recipes from the internet. I like cooking from a page (posted on my cabinet) better than direct from a cookbook.

4 Likes