What cookbooks have you gotten / added to your wish list - 2023

Ive looked at that book but its $57.00Can. It looks so good.

1 Like

Added about 30 books to my recipe book library so far this year. Predominantly baking books and mostly books from publishers back lists rather than recently published.

My two favourites are both by Regula Ysewijn. The revised edition of her Pride and Pudding from 2016 and her latest Dark Rye and Honey Cake, which is an exploration of her native Belgian baking traditions. These sit on my bookshelves beside her Oats in the North; Wheat from the South — prosaicly title The British Baking Book in the US.

There are close to 400 titles saved-for-later on my Amazon account. Though actual purchase of one of those is pre-empted by some cheaper tempting baking book that pops up on Eat Your Books. Typically I wait until a saved-for-later book goes down in price but not by the pennies that a few of them do on a regular basis (before bouncing back up to the original price a couple of days later). At the moment I’m baulking at purchasing Robert Wemischner’s The Dessert Architect which has two separate listings one for £150 and the other for £210!!! Even used copies are around £70.

4 Likes

Speaking of baking books - I’ve just bought a physical copy of Torta della Nonna, after having read a free recipe online.

4 Likes

Oh boy this looks like it could be really good.

1 Like

Won James Beard award!!!

4 Likes

Started by reading recipe reviews on EYB and ended up going down a rabbit hole that took me to Amazon where I happened to notice on a book I hadn’t looked at for a long time had a 3 for the price of 2 note on it. There is list you can click on and then type cookbook in search box. Don’t just depend on this, but look up any books you are interested in to see it they are included in the sale.

1 Like

David Rosengarten’s It’s All American Food. The Kindle edition is sadly unindexed, but I am enjoying reading it. I buy cookbooks these days probably more to read than to cook from.

2 Likes

I bought myself the Tex-Mex Table.

2 Likes

Her blog is gorgeous. I have the Aquacotta book but I have not cooked from it a whole lot. She also did a series on Food 52–deep dives into Italian cuisine.

2 Likes

Hmm The Tex-Mex Cookbook was a COTM over on CH years ago. I’m curious to compare recipes between the books.

2 Likes

I’ve tried to refrain from physical cookbooks for a while now because it’s been hard trying to find the space for them on my shelves. I also realized I could spend my Amazon Prime digital rewards dollars on e-cookbooks!

My new job is two blocks down from a bookstore, and I made the mistake of wandering in for a browse yesterday. Walked out with 3 cookbooks :sob:

Winson presents The Taiwanese American Cookbook
Mooncakes & Milkbread
Knife Drop

5 Likes

I’m consistent (see Jan 3 post from me at the top)… today another box of lightly-used cookbooks ordered from Orphans Treasure contained:
Moosewood Restaurant Low-Fat Favorites
Enchanted Broccoli Forest by Molly Katzen (WOW - hand lettered and drawings - beautifully done)
Japanese Family Style Recipes by Hiroko Urakami
Down-Home Diabetic Cookbook by Taste of Home
Gooseberry Patch Christmas Pantry
The Frugal Gourmet Celebrates Christmas by Jeff Smith

6 Likes

The original Moosewood Cookbook by her is done in the same style.

2 Likes

Heads up for those whose public libraries subscribe to Hoopla, the app that offers on-demand access to ebooks and other digital media: I noticed that Hoopla has really expanded its cookbook offerings, and now includes all or most titles by lots of authors of note. Among them:

Julia Turshen
Dorie Greenspan
Edward Lee
Sean Brick
Joshua McFadden
David Tanis
Erin Jeanne McDowell
Rose Levy Beranbaum
Uri Scheft
Jeni Britton Bauer
Alice Medrich
Mark Bittman
Thomas Keller
Pati Jinich
Joanne Chang
Sarah Kieffer
Flo Braker
Elizabeth Pruett and Chad Robertson (Tartine)

Lots of former CH and HO COTMs on thaf list, plus several others are there, too (Ama, Gjelina, Flavors of the Sun).

11 Likes

Two recent additions, both birthday presents.

Firstly “Mowgli Street Food” by Nisha Katona. Mowgli is a small chain of Indian restaurants, owned by child protection lawyer turned restaurateur Katona. In spite of the PR push, she is not a chef in the usual sense of the word - but she does appear on TV cookery shows. The book treads the well worn Indian street food path which is hard to avoid in UK these days (although why you would want to avoid it beats me - proper Indian food, in restaurants owned by people of Indian heritage, rather than the generic Anglicised food in the Bangladeshi owned curry houses.

And secondly, “Imad’s Syrian Kitchen”. Imad Alarnab owned three (?) restaurants in Damascus but fled the Syrian war, arriving in the UK as a refugee in 2015. He now owns a small restaurant in London. Many of the dishes in the book will be familiar to those who know the food of the Eastern Mediterranean, in particular Lebanon, Palestine and Syria. I’m about halfway through the book at present and there are quite a lot of dishes that are new to me. But what makes this a good read, is that he intersperses each section with an account of his refugee experience. It’s a very moving read and Britons should be honoured to welcome folk like this who want to find safety here (instead, our government bleats on about wanting to send them to Rwanda).

9 Likes

Too bad my library doesn’t have the Syrian one!

2 Likes

I even tried inter library loan:

We’re sorry, but your ILL Request has been cancelled because
we were unable to locate any libraries in North America that
own this title.

I love personal stories like these, immigrants made/make USA great.

1 Like

It looks like it will be published in the US in January. At the moment, presumably libraries here don’t have it because it’s a UK title.

1 Like

and the succeeding editions of the original Moosewood cookbooks are also hand-lettered with drawings. Really beautiful!

1 Like

Company: The Radically Casual Art of Cooking for Others by Amy Thielen, who wrote The New Midwestern Table several years ago is in my stack of to-cook-from books. Lots of good menus and practical suggestions as well as recipes. It may even inspire me to host a dinner party.

4 Likes