What cookbooks have you gotten / added to your wish list - 2023

New year (2023), new discussion. Do you have your eye on any new cookbooks? What’s been added to your shelf (or e-book reader) lately?

An online bookstore “Orphans Treasure Box” that uses proceeds to support many worthwhile causes has proven to be a great source for interesting cookbooks in like-new condition, most priced at $3.99 or less.
My latest order just arrived and included:

Off the Shelf, Cooking from the Pantry by Donna Hay
Moosewood Restaurant Cooks at Home ; Fast and Easy Recipes for Any Day
The Best of Mr. Food; Quick and Easy Recipes
Christmas with Southern Living 1999
From Harvest to Moonshine, Byron Ford

9 Likes

I have Off the Shelf and like it. Thanks for the tip on the site, and for starting a new thread.

2 Likes

Andres Nguyen has a new one coming in April: Ever-Green Vietnamese: Super-Fresh Recipes, Starring Plants from Land and Sea–looks right up my alley!

2 Likes

I used a gift card to buy Milk Street Tuesday Nights and Milk Street Fast and Slow. First Milk Street books for me and i like the way picture of recipe is on one page and recipe is opposite. Made 2 recipes from Fast and Slow and they were fast and delicious.

4 Likes

I ordered myself Tava for Xmas

I splurged on 2 books yesterday:
Diasporican

Diana Henry’s A Change of Appetite

https://www.chapters.indigo.ca/en-ca/books/a-change-of-appetite-where/9781784726164-item.html

3 Likes

Milk Street cookbooks have the same issue as Cook’s Illustrated cookbooks. If you buy their magazines nearly every recipe in the cookbook was published before in the magazine.

1 Like

Grabbed this for $15. One left for $17. Mine was “like new” and came in the plastic wrap. Wild deal for a pretty solid cookbook with a lot of flavor combinations and techniques that are easily done at home.

Sola: Hiroki Yoshitake https://a.co/d/eJgZ6po

1 Like

Might be of interest.

https://www.eatyourbooks.com/blog/2023/01/27/the-best-selling-books-of-2022

1 Like

Can ya tell Jenji lives in Seattle? Lol

The one UK store they picked has FIVE Ottolenghi books on their list of 10? lol

2 Likes

Actually, the UK store they feature has two, it’s the Berlin store (Goldham & Sampson) that has five Ottolenghi books out of ten bestsellers.

1 Like

Kitchen Arts & Letters latest email highlighted a number of international cookbooks coming out this year. Portico by Leah Koenig has a picture of a piece of pie I want right now. I will be watching for reviews of this book. They showed a wide variety of books. I suggest checking them out to see some upcoming books that might not be on your radar.

1 Like

Picked up an excellent used copy of Room For Dessert by David Lebovitz.

3 Likes

I received four cookbooks for holiday gifts, only one of which was anticipated. That was Claudia Fleming’s new book, Delectable: Sweet & Savory Baking, which was a request. It’s full of appealing recipes, but really needs an errata page/corrections, as I discovered with the first thing I made from it (detailed here). That post also incidentally shows the second thing I made, maple sugared pecans (on the cupcake), and both were delicious.

I also got:

Cook As You Are: Recipes for Real Life, Hungry Cooks and Messy Kitchens by Ruby Tandoh. This has thoughtful writing and interesting-looking, doable recipes. It might make a good COTM.

Ottolenghi Test Kitchen: Extra Good Things, the British edition, which my mother picked up on a whim at Shakespeare & Co. in Paris. The theme is recipes that all have some kind of condiment (sauce, topping, pickle, etc.) that can be repurposed in other ways. While the recipes can be typically Ottolenghi fussy, the suggestions for using the “extras” are not; think on toast, pasta, eggs, roasted vegetables, etc.

A Feast of Serendib: Recipes from Sri Lanka by Mary Anne Mohanraj. This one I hadn’t heard of, and I’ve yet to take a really thorough look through it. She has a related book called Vegan Serendib, not indexed on EYB (all those links are to EYB indexes for the other books) and a shop where she sells Sri Lankan curry powder and sweets, among other things.

5 Likes

Twice last week I found myself searching for the Margaritaville Cookbook that was a Chowhound COTM. Turns out (per my note to myself on the EYB bookshelf) I had used a library copy of the book. I’ve now got my own copy of the ebook version.

4 Likes

Been revisiting his My Paris Kitchen this week. Really enjoyable book. His Mustard Chicken is a staple in our house, caramel ribs and harissa chicken are great too.

1 Like

Love that cookbook. I was just looking through it a couple of days ago.

2 Likes

I have that Ruby Tandoh book out of the library, and am quite enjoying it. I also got the Milk Bar "All About Cookies" book from the library, and am very tempted to buy it!

2 Likes

Diana Henry has announced that Roast Figs Sugar Snow will be reissued in the fall, with the addition of some new recipes.

1,353 Likes, 185 Comments - Diana Henry (@dianahenryfood) on Instagram: "It’s coming…I couldn’t be more thrilled about this. Roast Figs, Sugar Snow, published almos..."

6 Likes