What cookbooks have you gotten / added to your wish list - 2023

I had checked the original out from our library in wintertime several years ago, since I enjoyed cooking from her other books. And was disappointed by how few of the recipes looked like ones I’d make. I should revisit.

I hate reissues with a “few more recipe” - either make a completely new book or just don’t change any thing. It’s not like the latest reissue from Led Zeppelin because they found an old demo song somewhere on an old tape.

1 Like

Received my copy of Standard Baking Co. Pastries today, and am watching the reviews come in for Tamar Adler’s new rekease The Everlasting Meal Cookbook.

1 Like

Anyone who is a fan of Anna Olson, Costco Canada, has her new book Baking Wisdom on for $29. Lots of information for bakers of all levels,150 great recipes and the book has 2 ribbons. I love it when cookbooks have ribbons.

6 Likes

Have you cooked from any of her books?

Yes, i have several of Anna Olsons baking books. She is very well known in Canada. Has a great you tube channel

4 Likes

I bought it but I haven’t really even flipped through it. I also have the All About Cake book but have only made 1 bundt. It isn’t for a lack of interest, it is just that I don’t really have anyone to bake for. Sometimes I’ll make something just to improve my skills and then leave it in the teachers’ room at work. That gets to be an expensive hobby with Tosi’s recipes though. I’ve had the original momofuku milk bar baking book for many years and I love it.

2 Likes

I fell in love with the cover of Ursula Ferrigno’s new book “Cucina di Amalfi” and had to order it along with “Istria” by Paola Bacchia that has been on my list for awhile.

2 Likes

I ordered Mayumu; been thinking about it since I saw it mentioned on EYB. As much as I love a perfect chocolate cake, I might have to say that Filipino desserts are the best in the world. I also picked up Fabulous Modern Cookies, which I think someone brought up on this site.

1 Like

Picked up a used copy of Keeping It Simple: Easy Weeknight One-pot Recipes by Yasmin Fahr.

3 Likes

My keeper has really been slipping up lately. Used book order arrived:
BAKING FOR THE HOLIDAYS by Sarah Kieffer
THE WEEKEND BAKER by Abigail Johnson Dodge
TWELVE: A TUSCAN BOOK by Tessa Kiros
ZABAR’S by Lori Zabar
These used books were ON SALE! Who could possibly resist?

4 Likes

Love Baking for the Holidays. The brioche recipe is the best. Also love the star bread.

2 Likes

My copy of Fabulous Modern Cookies is set to arrive tomorrow. The table of contents list of recipes and review commentary captivated me.

3 Likes

I’m used to getting ebooks from my library but they never had Coconut Lagoon, recipes from South India. Now, I only buy about one cookbook per year. I’ve been looking for a used copy of this

on Amazon; this one was “like new.” Just arrived and I could tell the cookbook had never been opened! I’ve had great luck buying used cookbooks. Can’t wait to look through it!

6 Likes

Oh no, why did I have to see this? Might go on the wish list. I too have had amazing luck with used books, and like you have received many that have never even been looked at.

3 Likes

The mussels recipe in there is to die for.

1 Like

I’m extremely fond of shellfish; kept trying mussels and was surprised I didn’t like them. I gave them one last try in Barcelona.

I read through the book today, liked learning his story. There’s an index in first pages of book with recipes in categories: Dairy-Free, Gluten-Free, Vegetarian.

He was determined to have a South Indian restaurant. Canadians would come in and leave when they saw there was no Butter Chicken on the menu. South Indians were loving his restaurant but it wasn’t doing well until he got two terrific reviews. Then, after being open 4 years, he finally put Butter Chicken on the menu; he said it would have been much better from a financial point of view if he’d added it sooner, it’s his son’s favorite dish.

He explains the difference between black and brown mustard seeds (black have stronger flavor, what he uses).

2 Likes

I bought this early in the pandemic, and haven’t really looked at it since. Your stories are making me want to go find it (somewhere in a pile of books - which are everywhere in my house).

3 Likes

Do you like mussels? His ingredients:

2 kudampuli (Malabar tamarind)
Coconut oil
Ginger into matchsticks
Garlic
Green chiles
Curry leaves
Onion
Red chili powder
Clamato juice
1 lb mussels
Coconut cream
Salt

I really like curry leaves; my masoor dal recipe is so much better with them. He uses star anise a lot, which I dislike … suppose I could just omit.

4 Likes

Anna is baking recipes from Baking with Wisdom on you tube

1 Like