What cookbooks have you gotten / added to your wish list - 2022

“Easy baking with a Spice Twist” (US) is presently $1.99 for the Kindle version.

Yup

Yes, I bought it because I also enjoyed several things from The Cardamom Trail (even though I have a little nit about her not having recipes checked).

I like her sensibility with Indian flavors applied to western dishes, so I’m looking forward to reading through the recipes in Easy Baking.

On a related note, I’m really enjoying Mumbai Modern, which I have from the library (it’s like she got in my head and wrote up some of what swirls around in there).

Not so much The Modern Tiffin, which annoyed me so much I returned it.

I also recently got Mumbai Modern. Haven’t done anything with it yet. And I have The Modern Tiffin as well, which was not what I hoped. Thali arrived yesterday. And I took advantage of the $1.99 special to put the new Chetna Easy Baking book on my iPad, as well as Pangat. Was pleasantly surprised to find a vegan chapter in Easy Baking. I now have 4 Chetna books, all purchased as cheap ebook specials. Do I cook from them? Not really. But I like looking through for ideas.

3 Likes

I saw that after replying to Seregama, and so now of course I own it.

2 Likes

For people who own Thali, want an excuse to purchase it, or wish to follow along, we will be cooking from it as October Cookbook of the Month.

2 Likes

I think you’ll enjoy this one. I just used it to compare a recipe in Thali. I actually think the front of the book might do a better job of explaining thali eating

Same here, though that’s true for most of my cookbooks!

2 Likes

Two new arrivals yesterday: Simply Japanese by Maori Murota, and Simply Vegan Baking by Freya Cox (who was GBBO last year).

1 Like

As someone who has moved to making smaller baked goods most times, Edd Kimber’s newest book looks enticing:

I also like how he lists recipes that use up either egg whites or egg yolks. While I have my own ways to always use them up, I find it very thoughtful when an author covers these things.

5 Likes

My favorite thing about Snacking Cakes is that they’re all reasonable amounts. As much as I love making a multi-layer cake, we really don’t need that much cake in the house.

(That being said, I find her baking times to be a little on the long side, so I start checking early.)

4 Likes

Just bought Melissa Clark’s Dinner in one but it’s delayed. Pre-ordered the new SK book.

2 Likes

I have Dinner in One and made the meatball sub sandwiches with garlic and also the sauce in crunchy peanut crusted tofu but served it over cod. We enjoyed both recipes and i have many tagged

1 Like

GATEAU The Surprising Simplicity of French Cakes by Aleksandra Crapanzano

3 Likes

Mastering the Art of French Cooking
Despite owning several hundred cookbooks I had never obtained this. Periodically check out used books and almost picked up a set or possibly just No. 1. Amazon’s recent deals pushed me over the edge to just purchase the hardcover set in the binder and get it over with.

4 Likes

I see Woks of Life is coming out with a cookbook. Tempting!

I also mentioned on another thread, Tamar Adler is coming out with a cookbook, as well.

I’ll be scouring the media for reviews of both of these - I hope they’re positive, as I am quite interested.

3 Likes

How do you like GATEAU

Haven’t baked anything yet but think it will be good for me. They are simple cakes that a lot of the bakers here will have made. I like that she gives a basic recipe and how to change it with different flavorings. She says French home bakers make simple cakes and for more complicated bakes and patisserie they buy it. It looks like a great book for new bakers. I suggest the bakers on this site check out EYB before purchasing to be aware of the types of recipes included as some of it will probably be repetitious for them.

1 Like

Thanks. I did look at EYB and i would love to get it. So many baking books so little time.
:ukraine: :ukraine: :ukraine:

3 Likes

Does anyone have Erin Jeanne McDowell’s Savory Baking: Recipes for Breakfast, Dinner, and Everything in Between?

I love savory baking, and thus am quite interested.

2 Likes

I don’t, but it looks like a hefty tome! If you haven’t checked out the recipe index on EYB, you can see the range of recipes there.

1 Like