What are you baking? July 2023

What’s in your oven?

1 Like

I made a quick drop biscuit recipe to go with local strawberries for strawberry shortcake. She says 9 large biscuits; I got 5.

Homemade whipped cream as well.

18 Likes

gosh, i love strawberry shortcake so much. it might be my favorite application of strawberries. your photo looks delicious.

2 Likes

There was a can of sardines in tomato sauce hanging around, so I made some really delicious sardine buns.

And I made vatrushki with strawberries. The Dominican strawberries continue to be terrible unless roasted or macerated, but the buns are tasty.

16 Likes

3 Likes

I baked after AGES.

Small no-knead loaf for dinner — only 1.5c flour, and using more yeast for a quick-rise vs my usual, but brother sent a pic of a lovely loaf he baked this morning and everyone here was having bread FOMO that needed fixing :joy:

I often bake these in a loaf pan for shape first, and then remove for the crust to brown, but it has been long enough since I last baked bread that I forgot that and went with shaping in the loaf pan and baking on a sheet (covered with a bigger loaf pan — no Dutch ovens or similar structure at hand).

There’s something special about homemade bread. This will probably be done in a day or two, so I’ll start a slow rise dough in the fridge tomorrow to bake off in a few days

20 Likes

Granola!

Original recipe here but I’ve modified it over time to my tastes… for starters, I do not add any sugar with the dry stuff as it’s plenty sweet with the maple syrup and fruit. I also bake for 1hr at 300F without stirring to get more clusters.

This particular batch was 2/3 oats and 1/3 buckwheat. Cashews, almonds, walnuts, pepitas, dried cranberries, dried mango (everything but the cashews is in a bag of trail mix I’m trying to use up…) plus coconut. It makes the perfect summer breakfast!

12 Likes

Strawberry cake from Gateau - The Surprising Simplicity of French Cakes. Deets on the BCOTM thread here.

14 Likes

Black raspberry and blueberry sour cream almond crumb cake.

14 Likes

Does anyone have a tried and true recipe for an unfrosted chocolate zucchini bread or cake which does not include chocolate chips? Looking for something sweet and moist enough to stand on its own…

Capture.PNG

2 Likes

I made an Upside Down Onion Tart with Trader Joe frozen puff pastry.

I had to read the recipe a few times in order to understand it. I rolled the thawed puff pastry out but it wasn’t very big. This recipe calls for too much sliced onions. I used Spicy Chili Crisp mixed with olive oil … maybe some ghee would have helped with browning (her photo looks better than mine!).

Recipe says to bake 13 - 17 minutes … I took mine out at 21 minutes but maybe could have used another 5. (Here in SF I live near the ocean so I can bake in the summer, just needed to open the kitchen window. An hour inland it’s at least 30 degrees warmer!)

Calls for shredded mozzarella, didn’t have so subbed bits of Cambozola (next time I wouldn’t be as shy with it!). I think the fresh thyme is unnecessary, especially if you have to buy it (not in your garden!). I love onions so I enjoyed it. No one to share with this time.

9 Likes

Morning Glory Muffins - made in muffin-top “ice cream sandwich” pan for maximum crunch edges. These take me almost an hour to assemble before baking – not sure where all the time disappears since only the carrot and apple need extra handling. Everything else is standard measure and mix. Recipe with my notes is in a reply below – source unknown and not found in my online searches.

7 Likes

Morning Glory Muffins
Allow 1 hour to prep. Yes, that seems like a lot but it’s my typical time before getting them in the oven…
350 degrees, 25 – 30 minutes, Makes 12 full-size plus 9 mini muffins, i.e., 16 – 18 full size muffins. Or 24 small muffin-top muffins plus 6 larger muffin tops. Bake 1/8 C. /heaping T. batter, 20 minutes in the smaller size / sandwich cookie muffin top pans.

1 ¼ cup sugar
½ cup vegetable oil
3 eggs
2 teaspoon vanilla
2 cup flour
2 teaspoon baking powder
¼ teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
2 cups grated carrots - about 12 oz baby cut or 6 medium, peeled & trimmed
½ cup raisins / craisins
½ cup coconut
½ cup diced raw apple

Combine sugar, oil, eggs and vanilla in large bowl; mix well and set aside. In another bowl sift together flour, baking powder, salt and cinnamon. Stir into egg mixture, stirring only until moistened (don’t over stir). Gently fold in carrots, raisins, coconut and apple. Spoon into WELL-greased muffin tins – spray PAM for baking (with flour) and use wax paper or brush to spread well - about 2/3 full. Bake at 350 degrees (F) for 25 - 30 minutes (20 minutes for smaller muffin-top pans), until light golden brown.

Notes: These don’t get very brown and came out nicely when PAM for Baking got used. Turn out immediately onto wire rack – probably will need to use wooden skewer / thin wooden spreader to gently pry from tin. Very good warm

4 Likes

Maybe try this one?
Chocolate zucchini bread (page 460) paraphrased from The American Country Inn and Bed & Breakfast Cookbook, Volume One. Credited to Eagle Harbor Inn and Cottages in Ephraim WI
For 2 loaves
2 ½ C all-purpose flour
½ C cocoa powder
2 ½ tsp baking powder
1 ½ tsp soda
½ tsp salt
1 tsp ground cinnamon

¾ C butter (1 ½ sticks)
2 C sugar

3 eggs
2 tsp vanilla
2 C grated zucchini
½ C milk
1 C chopped nuts

Grease 2 loaf pans. Preheat oven to 350 degrees

Sift together dry ingredients and set aside. In a large bowl, ceam together the butter and sugar. In a separate bowl mix together the eggs, vanilla, grated zucchini, milk and nuts. Alternate combining the wet and dry ingredients with the creamed butter/sugar. Spread batter in 2 greased loaf pans. Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour

2 Likes

This one from Skinny Taste uses melted unsweetened chocolate, applesauce and half whole-wheat flour. I make with regular cocoa powder, not “Dutch processed”.

2 Likes

Thank you so much for taking the time to post these!

2 Likes

A German fruit flan using my mary ann pan(thanks nannybakes for letting us know what this pan is called. I bought mine at least 40 years ago and forgot about it and then couldn’t find my recipe. I replaced the buttercream layer with pastry cream and brushed the cake with apricot jelly. Gransons will love it.
https://alltastesgerman.com/wprm_print/241248

17 Likes

That looks delicious. I have never heard this name for a pan.

Amazon has some under that name

6 Likes