What Are You Baking? June 2023

Recipe paraphrased - originally posted on ThornTree Get Stuffed by “arbon” in 2007
Lunchbox Carrot Cake (Hamilton Cookbook)
half recipe in 8 x 8 pan. Do frost, using 1/4 recipe of frosting

1 cup sugar
1 cup salad oil
4 eggs
1 cup flour
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
2 tsp cinnamon
2 cups grated raw carrot
1 1/2 cup grated apple
1 cup golden raisins
1/2 cup chopped walnuts, optional
Blend together sugar, salad oil and eggs.
Beat until slightly thickened.
Sift together dry ingredients and combine
with egg mixture. Add carrot, apple, raisins and nuts. Blend. This makes a heavy batter.
Turn/spoon into greased and floured 9" X 13" X 2" pan (8x8 for half recipe)
Bake for 35 to 40 minutes at 350 F.
Frosting:
1 (4 oz.) pkg cream cheese, softened
1/4 cup butter
1 cup icing sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla
Beat cream cheese and butter until fluffy.
Beat in icing sugar and vanilla until well
combined. Frost the carrot cake when cooled (note - we aren’t patient enough to let it cool, mine gets frosted/glaze while still warm).

4 Likes

I also baked a colorful savory Bundt that will be supper tonight with some rotisserie chicken on the side. It’s more bread-like than “egg bake” and calls for 5 eggs, shredded carrots, spinach, peppers and feta. My baking buddy made this years ago on one of our Bundt-baking-extravaganza days. Following her lead, mine today had just 1/4 C oil in the batter, and added green pepper and peas as well as red pepper, onion and spinach. I was short on feta, so used half feta/half shaved Parm. The recipe recommends topping with tomato sauce, so I’ll either warm some or serve with salsa.

I used a half-sized Classic Bundt pan, and Heritage Swirl Bundtlet pan and baked 25 minutes.

This is another recipe where the link no longer works. So a paraphrased version is below as a reply.

9 Likes

Savory Bundt - originally from (dead link now - http://besthomechef.com.au/recipe/savoury-bundt/)

• 5 x eggs
1 1/2 cup self - raising flour
1 1/2 C all-purpose flour + 2 ¼ teaspoons baking powder + 3/4 teaspoon salt
• 1/2 cup instant polenta (or semolina) – use cornmeal
• 6 Tbls light sour cream
• 1/2 cup olive oil ( + 3 tbls) – Use less, only ¼ C in the bake.
• 1 x onion
• 2-3 cloves garlic
• 150 g / 5 oz. baby spinach
• 100 g roasted & chopped capsicum – red pepper about ¾ C.
also add 1/2 C. raw green pepper
and 1/2 C. peas
• 50 g grated carrot – about 1/3 – 1/2 C.
• 150 g light feta cheese (use light feta so it keeps its shape/doesn’t melt) – about 5 ¼ oz.
• 1 tspn salt – original used 2 t – that’s too much.
• 1 pinch black papper
Method

1. Preheat oven to 180 C. / 350 F. Prepare medium baking tin, (loaf, muffin or mold pan).
  2. Heat 3 Tbls - note 1 T is plenty - oil in frying pan and sauté onion and garlic. Cook until onion is translucent (4-5 minutes).
  3. Add washed spinach and cook for 30-40 seconds only. Turn heat off and season with salt (I omit) and pepper to taste. Let it to cool down. Meanwhile prepare batter.
  4. In a larger bowl, add self raising flour, polenta, eggs, sour cream, remaining oil, 1 tsp (less than original 1 1/2 – 2 tsp) salt and pinch of pepper. Whisk all ingredients just to combine it together.
  5. Add to batter: spinach and onions, capsicum, carrot and crumbled feta cheese. Fold ingredients gently into batter.
  6. Spoon mixture into prepared baking pans. Bake for 35- 40 minutes on 180 C./350 F
  7. Leave bundt in baking mold for 15 minutes, to cool down.
  8. Invert it onto a plate.
  9. Slice and serve warm or at room temperature with tomato sauce and salad.
    TIPS
  • Use light feta cheese as it will not melt during baking, due to low percentage of fat.
  • Replace carrot or capsicum with olives, peas, fresh capsicum etc.
  • It can be prepared in advance and stored in air tight container.
9 Likes

Need to use up the black raspberries I picked! I’ve made three recipes’ worth of the reduced, sweetened, de-seeded puree used in RLB’s black raspberry ice cream, but I still have several cups of berries.

So: black raspberry almond crumb cake, using a red raspberry recipe from Sally’s Baking Addiction.

blackraspcoffeecake

This recipe has the berries in the topping only, not the cake itself, so I made the cake with half black raspberries and sliced almonds (for me and mom’s black-raspberry-loving best friend), and the other half with blueberries and no almonds (for mom.) It was baked in a 9" springform.

This is a simple cake with both vanilla and almond extracts, a healthy dollop of sour cream, and a close, even crumb. My only quibble, besides how much longer it took to bake than called for (with the danger of overbrowning - use foil the final 15 minutes), is how thin the struesel layer is. I’d double it next time. And I might switch the almond extract out and add lemon zest instead. Very good though.

13 Likes

Off to Ottawa this week-end to see my mother, and some friends. Cookies were made: https://www.twopeasandtheirpod.com/biscoff-oatmeal-cookies/

Very quick and reliable recipe…

10 Likes

That’s my favorite bb muffin recipe. Def wants more blueberries. I often add streusel topping just for further indulgence.

1 Like

The orange is a nice twist, since blueberries are classically paired with lemon (a combo I do love).

3 Likes

Squeaking in under the deadline with a classic rhubarb pie I baked for my mother’s birthday a couple of weeks ago. It’s one of her favorite desserts, but my sister, who is usually in charge of making birthday desserts, doesn’t like it and therefore won’t make it. :roll_eyes: Mom was thrilled.

Used a basic streusel on top rather than a second crust and it was perfection if I do say so myself.

15 Likes

It’s one of my great sorrows that I don’t have any other rhubarb-lovers in my vicinity. This looks amazing! Agree about struesel-topped fruit pies; I love them.

I made this goat cheese/dill oven pancake for dinner. It was fantastic. My husband couldn’t resist seconds even though he was full.

For the greens I used grilled little gem lettuce. For the honey I used Italian chestnut honey.

8 Likes

I was just looking at that recipe yesterday and thinking how good it sounds. Glad to hear it was a success.

2 Likes

It was serendipity. I’d recently bought goat cheese and dill, but had no particular plans for them.

When I opened my email and saw this recipe I was delighted. I like being able to cook without having to shop first.

3 Likes

Curious if you followed the exact recipe because it has an unusual ratio of eggs to milk and flour. Would love to know your thoughts either way.

1 Like

that’s really tempting looking. i’m not sure i’ve ever made a dutch baby!

I used all eight eggs called for in the recipe and was happy with the result.

It had a more substantial texture than most oven pancakes. It made a filling dinner. We also enjoyed it as a leftover for lunch today.

3 Likes

I’m a big fan of oven pancakes.

I also highly recommend that you make Claire Saffitz’s blueberry/buckwheat/brown butter oven pancake.

Not only is it delicious; you make the batter the night before so it comes together quickly in the morning.https://saltandspine.substack.com/p/buckwheat-blueberry-skillet-pancake

2 Likes

July thread is up.

1 Like

I made that same recipe the other night. I was on my own and did a half batch in a 6” ci pan.
I used arugula for the greens (bc there’s so much of it in the garden!). Excellent and different.

5 Likes

My turn for NYT’s savory Dutch baby.

I used fennel in lieu of dill, as that’s what we had fresh on hand. I halved the egg mixture, and quartered the cheese and “dill” mixture, putting the latter all on top of the baby before baking. A mix of baby arugula and spinach on top, drizzled with honey, lemon juice and EVOO.

Good stuff! Will make this combo again.

10 Likes

(post deleted by author)