What Are You Baking? May 2023

For you rhubarb lovers, the June Better Homes & Garden magazine has a recipe from Sarah Kieffer for Cherry Rhubarb Streusel Buns.

6 Likes

I finally got back into baking at home after a spell away from it and am happy to say that it was a success. It’s a sour cherry cake that I served with lightly sweetened whipped cream and dusted with icing sugar. The cake itself has a lovely, delicate texture and the sour cherries cut through the sweetness really well so I’m already looking forward to my next slice.

13 Likes

I didn’t get any! But it disappeared quickly at work.

This looks great! Is there a recipe you can share?

I am interested in using some of the non-cake elements from this cake you made, @Stef_bakes , in a similar recipe that I slightly prefer because it just makes more cake, and I have a crowd to feed.

How far in advance did you make this, @Stef_bakes ? Did you like the soaking syrup addition (I’m considering adding this to the Sally’s recipe.) How about the mascarpone meringue - worth the effort?

Rhubarb-apple-pecan muffins with partial whole-wheat and a pecan-streusel topping.

We planted a red rhubarb this year (finally!). I know I’m not supposed to pick it the first year, but I couldn’t resist taking one slender stalk (there are many, many left). I added the dried apples to make up the difference.

They came out yum.

12 Likes

I may have asked before, but: what variety was it?

Crimson Red, from Territorial Seed. Outside of the choice of more red or more green, I wouldn’t know one rhubarb from another, but we are happy with what we received.

3 Likes

On Monday I baked rhubarb orange pecan muffins and also a rhubarb upside down cake. Cake is pictured here with ice cream, but it’s also great with whipped cream.

Tonight I baked a yogurt almond cake in my Jubilee loaf Bundt pan; it needed 45 minutes to fully bake. I used 1% lower fat yogurt , 2 tsp. orange zest, no orange water, and 1/2 tsp lemon extract, 1/2 tsp. almond extract as the flavoring - just right for us, still “almond-y” but not intensely so. My “almond meal” almond flour has been in the freezer since 2017 (!!!) per note on the freezer bag and still just fine. This cake was wonderful on it’s own and a lovely base for fresh strawberries. Here’s the link to the recipe from Gateau on the Splendid Table website. I’m pretty sure folks here made this cake in December 2022 and commented about it. Thanks!

9 Likes

That almond cake is on my short list of things to be baked.

1 Like

Hey, hey, it’s a new month, so here’s a new thread.

Of course! https://flavorsofbaku.com/portfolio-view/cherry-pie/ I used frozen sour cherries myself and really enjoyed how it turned out.

2 Likes

Thank you - looks great!

1 Like

I second that!

I purchased these recently and thought I’d put out a few July 4 themed sugar cookies. I’ll post pictures if they work.

5 Likes

Is there a july 2023 thread?

Yes.

Thank you

1 Like

Those patterns look interesting but they remind me of the bottoms of cheap French glassware and it is those that I have used in the past. With these Nordic Ware ones priced at $30 (or over here in the UK £36 through Amazo (after currency convertion that is over $45)). Think I will stick with the glass bottoms and whatever else I find (turn over bottles and jars to see if they have a pattern) or switch to moon cake cutter/stamps which run at half that price at the moment.

1 Like

I wish I had pretty pleated bottomed glasses!