What are you baking? July 2023

:us::us::us::us::us::us::us::us::us::us::us::us::us::us::us:
HAPPY Fourth of July!

Sour cherry pie…loaded to the edge, tasted delicious!

( The Mary Ann cakes were posted in the April and May baking months)
NTY has an article regarding their background https://www.nytimes.com/1981/01/18/magazine/food-a-deliciously-depressed-cake.html

20 Likes

I love Morning Glory muffins - one of my very favorites. I rarely make them, however, due to the long list of ingredients (17 to be exact, in the recipe I use).

3 Likes

They’re a big hit here, too. I guess my recipe’s 12-ingredients list isn’t so long. Other recipes I’ve seen have oatmeal, nuts, zest (orange or lemon), crushed pineapple! and additional spice (nutmeg, ginger).

2 Likes

Chocolate and walnut zucchini cake. I went with a modified version from AllRecipes.

I used 25% white whole wheat. Reduced the oil by ¼ c. Subbed Dutch Process for the natural cocoa, omitting the baking soda and upping the baking powder accordingly. The zucchini was wrung, and measured only after wringing. I made a half recipe in an 8” x 8” pan, and baked it for 35 minutes.

This came out moist, sweet, and not overly dense. Will make again.

16 Likes

Picked up Lori Anne peaches at Wegmans on Saturday (recommended to me by a produce dude LAST Independence Day weekend!) to make gingered peach cobbler.

Since I haven’t had dinner I havent yet tried it, but it baked up nicely. Ive got some salted caramel ice cream in the downstairs freezer, or I’ll make some whipped cream to go on top.

15 Likes

What pan and baking technique did you use? Looks incredible!

Gingered peach cobbler sounds great, right up my street; l love anything ginger, but it really goes well with peaches.

1 Like

About 800g pitted sour cherries, 20% sugar, 5% tapioca starch. Drained the cherries after pitting on paper towels for a bit, mixed the sugar, tapioca starch and “some” DC salt. Added the cherries and folded them into the dry mixture, squeezed in half a lemon. My crust was frozen, added the cherry mixture to crust, there was a couple of tablespoons of residual cherry/sugar mixture which I fortunately didn’t add. Baked convection bake 425 on a stone for 15 minutes, reduced to 400 bake, then baked until bubbling. Crust was baked all the way through. This was an 8” deep quiche pan, 9” probably would have been safer :blush:

9 Likes

Gorgeous

3 Likes

Looks terrific. Have you ever tried Willie’s Crisp? I’m a big fan; bet it would be great with ginger peaches!

1 Like

Lol, I like the full-to-the-brim look! Your pan must have had a removable bottom? I may need to get one, it looks so beautiful on the serving tray!

Yes, loose bottom, sorry I failed to mention that. Perhaps a springform pan would work, but I’m not so sure the crust would bake well in it.

1 Like

I haven’t. Store-bought or a recipe?

Recipe link for Willies Crisp (1992 writeup by Marion Cunningham) http://articles.latimes.com/1992-07-30/food/fo-4443_1_crisp-recipe

3 Likes

I love it with good farmer’s market blackberries, blueberries, nectarines. Several months ago I did one with Granny Smith apples and fresh cranberries.

11 Likes

Saved to a Notes section on my phone, as the LAT often blocks me since I don’t have a subscription. Thanks!

1 Like

Oooh, that sounds delicious! Can you please share the recipe?

1 Like

I used an Allrecipes recipe, cutting back a bit on the sugars in all places. I didnt “prebake” the sliced peaches; i did as I’ve always done…cook for 4-5 minutes in a pot on the stove, then poured it into the baking dish before dropping the topping by spoonfuls.

For the ginger, this time I used minced crystallized ginger, but you could also add some ground ginger to the peaches while they cook.

5 Likes

Also good with rhubarb or rhubarb/blueberry, rhubarb/strawberry combination. Willies Crisp topping technique is unusual in that the sandy-textured crumble with egg mixed in gets dusted evenly over the fruit, then a stick of melted butter is drizzled over the top.

2 Likes

I was informed that this recipe is practically the same and it’s a favorite of mine:

It has less sugar than Willie’s crisp from what I can tell.

1 Like