January–April 2023 Baking Cookbook of the Month: GATEAU: THE SURPRISING SIMPLICITY OF FRENCH CAKES

No expert but I do bake a lot of them in various sizes and shapes, I go against the “ rules” and bake on a stone, which supposedly blocks the heat from the center tube. I don’t use a sheet pan under it but do like the results from baking on a stone, convection bake. My oven and I are close friends, we know each other very well :joy:.
I’ve not had a spillover with this method.

2 Likes

I baked this one on a sheet pan. Do have a stone will try to remember next time.

1 Like

I don’t put a pan under my bundts.

1 Like

My stone is a permanent resident so I bake/roast with it all the time. I’m usually using the side oven of my range, so heat up time is minimal.

1 Like

We had the cake with french vanilla ice cream. Cake is delicious and moist like the original recipe. I will keep my changes. We love simple cakes with no icing except for birthdays.

4 Likes

GENOISE CLASSIQUE (P. 166) and FRAISIER (P. 176)

A layered strawberry cake with a genoise sponge, kirsch-infused soaking syrup, macerated fresh strawberries and Chantilly cream. I’ve been eyeballing this one since Gateau was BCOTM, and was waiting only for the fresh strawberries to come in.

The only modification I made was to sub the crème de fraise (for macerating the berries) with a homemade strawberry “liqueur” (strawberries, vodka, framboise and homemade strawberry syrup). That concoction came out great. The whole cake came out great, as far as I’m concerned.

I made a half recipe for the two of us in a 6" x 3" Fat Daddio pan.

We at the entire thing in one sitting, our excuse being this is not something which would hold up well at all. My husband, who grew up on sponge cakes, was very happy to see me attempt this one. All the mo’ betta’ since it included two of his other favorite food groups: strawberries and cream.

12 Likes

I want to dive into my ipad.

3 Likes

Love this.

2 Likes

Your strawberries are unusually gorgeous: red as red can be, all the way through. So happy you just went ahead and ate the whole thing!!

3 Likes

Lol. We debated it. Plan A was to hold half over for later, but we realized we were kidding ourselves. :yum:

It was too much cake for one sitting, however (if there is such a thing). I think next time I’ll cut the cake in half before assembling it, even if it means cutting berries and whipping cream twice.

Those berries are local Washington berries from our garden. Anyone around here (me included) will talk your ear off ad naseum about how superbly red Washington berries are all the way through. :strawberry:

3 Likes

Color is about variety, typically. Do you know what variety they are?

Rainier strawberries. They are a June-bearing variety, but by selecting specific and varying locations in the yard, we’ve found we can extend that season.

4 Likes

GATEAU auYAOURT et aux Poires pg.10
This is one of the most pleasing yogurt cakes that I’ve made from the book. This is probably the fourth time for the pear cake and with good reason. A tender, moist cake with a fine crumb, it would lend itself to other fruits as well. This iteration has diced rather than sliced pears, toasted crushed hazelnuts and a sprinkling of chocolate flakes added as soon as it came from the oven. I substituted sour cream for the yogurt as I was short on yogurt, this is a 6” cake.

8 Likes

I was worried, hadn’t seen you!

At Safeway today Gold Metal unbleached all purpose flour was on sale for $1.50 less than regular so I bought it. Does it work the same? Do most of you use this one?

Thank you for your kind thoughts, just taking a break!

Gold Medal all purpose unbleached is fine for most things. RLB recommends the GM bleached for cakes, which I have used for the pear cake most of the times I’ve made it. I used white Lily self rising flour this time.

1 Like

I made the same cake today!

Here with Asian pears and pear brandy. Apple jelly for the glaze.

7 Likes

I also put a healthy glug of Poire Williams in the cake as well. It’s such a nice cake now that pears are coming into season. I’ve served it with chocolate sauce which is very complementary to the pears. Enjoy yours, it looks delicious!

2 Likes

PLUM version of the PEAR YOGURT cake.
I snipped a stalk of lemon verbena and added the leaves to the powdered sugar to pulverize. Finally got them puréed with the addition of the egg, evoo and yogurt/sour cream. It also received a good splash of limoncello in lieu of other flavorings. I expect the plum version to be as pleasing as the pear. Baked in a 6x3” pan for about 32/35 minutes.

7 Likes