Weekly Menu Planning November 2023

Yes yes for the Alouettes says someone who grew up in Montreal.

3 Likes

Triple forks and knives for you! Another Montreal ex pat here :slight_smile: Needless to say that is the team I will be cheering for.

4 Likes

Hi everyone, and wishing you a happy, delicious, warm-hearted thanksgiving in advance. We’re off to Bermuda for the week, and our Thanksgiving meal will be pub grub while playing trivia. LLD had some sort of stomach issue and there wasn’t as much cooking as planned this week. But here it is:

Mon: skillet shrimp scampi with tomatoes (COTM Dinner in One), delicious and easy, which is currently my highest praise for a recipe.

Tues: Fiery Korean chicken (Cookish), rice, cucumber salad

Wed: chicken and dumplings (also COTM), which uses gnocchi for the dumplings. It works and I’m sold.

Belly problems came Thursday, and we’re hoping they’re gone now.

Happy Thanksgiving! So grateful for this group.

16 Likes

Have a lovely time in Bermuda! And let’s hope LLD’s stomach bug clears up soonest.

4 Likes

Ain’t that the truth!

Have a wonderful break, and happy thanksgiving!

How was the Korean chicken from Cookish? I still haven’t had a look at the book.

3 Likes

Happy thanksgiving week to all celebrating; I continue to be thankful for this community — the camaraderie, learning, and banter.

My bid to boycott Thanksgiving this year didn’t go so well… in fact it fully backfired in that I’m having two thanksgivings now :rofl:.

First is my usual extended family Thanksgiving, which is happening early, on Sunday. And then Thanksgiving day (+/- 2 days) which will be spent with friends at their weekend place a train ride from nyc.

So, no elaborate meal planning, just using up things like last week, prepping things to take with me, and wondering if there will be after-T-day turkey sales to make some soup and curry, which are the “traditional” leftovers from years past that I miss.

Plan for the days I’m in town next week:
— Mushroom lasagna (white) or a deconstructed version using mafalda (may make up a big one to take with me and relieve my hosts of one meal)
— King oyster mushroom Yakitori + Tsukune — easy assembly meal, everything is already in the freezer
— Japanese clay pot rice with salmon and mushrooms / Takikomi gohan — ditto
— Kathi rolls with kababs I froze before leaving
— Kheema macaroni with leftover kheema spirals filling

Thanksgiving(s)-related cooking:
Kheema spirals (made, there may be a 2nd round once I ask my 2nd set of hosts)
Beet-cured salmon (made both batches already)
— Orange olive oil cake for hostess / kid gifts (made first round, will bake the second round the day before I’m leaving)
Brandade (likely of salmon or tuna, not salt cod) for the second trip
— Brownies (trying a new method) for kid/hostess gifts round 2

Wish you all a relaxing weekend and good week ahead.

14 Likes

Thanks! The Korean chicken is very easy, although with a non-working broiler I don’t follow the directions. Just cook it like I’d cook any other chicken in the oven. But LLD has some fear that gochujang is the problem with his stomach, so I have a sinking feeling I won’t be cooking as much Korean food as I’d like in the future.

4 Likes

My mom’s tummy reacts to gochujang too, and other fermented asian sauces.

Maybe you can make ssam sauce to add to your portion later?

2 Likes

Oh, that’s interesting that your mother has this same issue. And I do have a feeling that sometimes fish sauce does this to him too. Oh no. He likes Korean food a lot when we go out for it. I’m going to have to be careful about all of this.

1 Like

I’m sensitive myself (I take a digestive enzyme because I’m not not going to eat this stuff :joy: — it works well, even with my alcohol allergy)

2 Likes

I’m learning so much! So is this different from, say, gasX? Do you need to take it daily? What things set your system off, and does this help a lot??

DM’ing you

1 Like

Actuals for Nov 13 week, cooking for 2 in MN, where we’ve had a “heat wave” of warmish temperatures - 50’s during the day and just below freezing overnight. Which made our final yard cleanups (husband says he’s now mowed leaves 11 times) and shrubbery/tree trimming much easier - able to work in light sweatshirts rather than parkas. Yet still cool enough that oven meals and beer bread baking (a 2nd round, per request) just nicely heated the kitchen.

Wishing all a Happy Thanksgiving. May your pies be perfect and your favorite leftovers enough for easy weekend meals.

Mon: Oven BBQ pork ribs, cheesy grits, asparagus
Tues: Cheater lasagna – (Italian sausage ravioli, jarred sauce, mozzarella), green beans, garlic buttered rosemary bread. Lasagna was quite good, and even though my 10 oz of ravioli only made 1 1/2 layers we had enough left from the 8x8 pan for 2 lunches.
Wed: Open face tuna melts on hoagie rolls. Sweet potato puffs. Dessert was nibbles of holiday sweets from World Market – including English fruitcake and German gingerbread cookies. Before breakfast, BAKED beer bread - note to self (again) have coffee first next time; luckily the glass bread pan didn’t break when I dropped the mixing bowl of batter on it.
Thurs: Soup & sandwich: Loaded Baked Potato soup (packet, OK but won’t get again) , leftover half of a tuna melt & tots, toasted ham & cheese on beer bread. Grape tomatoes. Ice cream treats
Fri: Mahi Mahi, roasted squash from freezer, peas, fresh spinach, grape tomatoes
Sat: Baked curry cod w coconut rice, bag salad (enough of everything left for supper Sunday, too)
Sun (today): noon - Pork tenderloin with maple/dijon glaze, mashed potatoes, applesauce, broccoli.

14 Likes

I’m at the airport about to head out, and will check later. Thank you so much.

4 Likes

Hi, everyone. Feeding two adults and a teen, in the Boston burbs for a few more days - we’re leaving Tuesday evening for 5 days in London!

Sun: burrito bowls, using carnitas from the freezer (the Del Real brand from Costco)

Mon: pasta, red sauce and meatballs, and whatever vegetables need to be used up from the fridge

Rest of the week: I’m not cooking :slight_smile:

16 Likes

Woo! Enjoy London!!

7 Likes

Hi everyone, cooking for two in the UK. Hopefully I’ll succeed in keeping up my reporting streak.

Mon: We had a chicken, broad bean (frozen) and Charlotte potato stew. My partner was making yummy noises through the whole bowl and lamented our lack of bread to mop up the sauce.

Tue: Lasagne. I’ve had lasagne sheets for ages and really need to use them up now.

Wed: Lasagne leftovers.

Thu: Minestrone with homemade bread rolls.

Fri: Minestrone leftovers.

Sat: Chickpea and potato saagwala with homemade flatbread (maybe). We didn’t get to have it last week as they didn’t bring me spinach in my delivery and watercress is not a good substitute.

Sun: Pasta alla Zozzona.

Have a good week everyone!

15 Likes

Back from a lovely weekend in Palm Springs. Did some hiking in Joshua Tree, read by the hotel pool, and ate too much.

For two adults in San Diego:

Breakfasts: Will bake a couple of loaves of pumpkin bread.

M: Pizza we picked up on the way home.
T: Leftover TJ’s roasted red pepper and tomato soup with bread - vegetarian/soup
W: Crab cake sandwich with chips or fruit - seafood
Th: Thanksgiving - Going fairly simple this year. Honeybaked ham, doctored TJs stuffing, doctored TJs gravy, mashed potatoes, peas au gratin, cranberry sauce, cheap brown n serve rolls at the insistence of my husband. Probably pumpkin bread topped with whipped cream for dessert.
F: Leftovers!

Have a good week! May all your cooking go splendidly!

16 Likes

WMP folks, in case you didn’t see the other thread @hungryonion created, if you do your Amazon black friday or other holiday shopping via the HO affiliate link, you can help defray costs for the site.

https://www.amazon.com/?tag=amazon0d7e45-20

3 Likes

Sun: Armenian take-out, including shashlik and pilaf

Mon:
Tri Tip with Joe Beef butcher’s blend seasoning, shrimp with jarred Sharwoods Madras sauce, leftover pilaf

Tue
Lemon oregano chicken quarters, Masala Mac & Cheese (added around 1/2 cup jarred Madras sauce to 1 1/2 cups of bechamel and 3/4 cups of cheese, might increase the Madras sauce ratio another time)

Wed: freezer scrounge
Black eyed peas frozen in some sort of tomato sauce, trout potato cakes I made in October, some purchased frozen Oysters Rockefeller,
Also some fresh cooked cauliflower with lemon and evoo

Thu:
Turkey schnitzel with cranberry sauce, stuffing, cauliflower cheese, some sort of eggplant, some sort of pumpkin thing using up pumpkin from the freezer. Maybe a pumpkin freekeh pilaf, now that I think about it

Fri: fish to be determined

Sat: ribeye or T Bone from the freezer, the rest to be determined.

Sunday: take-out to be determined

10 Likes