Weekly Menu Planning November 2023

Let’s use this thread to share concise weekly dinner menus for each week in November. It’s helpful if you can include your location and how many people you are feeding. Links to recipes are always appreciated, and sources help.

As we head into the winter holidays, how’s your freezer inventory? Are you trying to empty it to hold holiday supplies, make-ahead dishes and baked goods? Or perhaps already filling it? Are hearty soups and stews on your menu for lunches or dinners?

We all know plans can change, so it’s fine (practically expected) when your week gets rearranged from your posted plan. You may choose to report actuals for the prior week to share ideas with others.

The October discussion is still available for reporting the last week and follow-ups.

Reminder – Keep your comments menu / food related. And in the interest of faster viewing times, please use the Heart under a comment to indicate you liked it or want to echo what was said by another, rather than posting a separate comment.

5 Likes

Greetings, People.

A busy week here on domestic (non-culinary) fronts. No project cooking or big baking projects planned, but plenty of digging in the freezer. OP inquires as to our freezer inventory. Mine is “too much”! I’m long on berries and veg from the garden, the pounds and pounds of fish we caught last summer, and the results of stocking up during fall meat sales. Last year I waited until January 1 to start seriously tackling the surplus; this year, I’ve already started chipping away at it. We’ve booked another fishing trip for next summer, and with any luck, I’ll need the space. :smiley_cat:

Feeding two adults in the PNW:

FRI: Filet-o-salmon burgers. Oven fries.

SAT: Scrounge.

SUN: Chicken soup from the freezer.

MON: Pasta, with roasted tomatoes from the freezer. Roasted Italian sausage. Salad.

TUE: Chili from the freezer. Will fry up some tortilla chips and serve the chili with the works: cheddar, scallion, sour cream.

WED: Woks of Life pan fried chicken noodles. Thanks to @willfulwaffle for posting the link.

THUR: Burgers on the grill with American cheese and homemade burger sauce.

15 Likes

I can’t seem to plan a week in advance lately. Cooking for 3 in southwestern Ontario.

Tonight (Thursday)
I will make Mexican Sopa Seca tonight, with some salsa, bacon, the last of my garden’s tomatoes.

I’ll cook a lone parsnip, and prepare some other veg odds and ends, Maybe a Waldorf to use apples in the fridge.
Hoping to make a Russian cabbage soup.

Fri: fish, probably Faroe island salmon I will buy tomorrow. Maybe Oliver/ Russian potato salad

Sat: ribeye and potatoes to be determined

Sun: some kind of non-beef, non-fish take-out

Mon: no idea

12 Likes

Actuals for end of Oct/first week in Nov. Cooking for 2 in MN. Where I was grateful for my freezer stash since I lacked meal-time ambition until Thursday. Short week, since I’m heading to WI today and will cook more there to restock niece’s freezer. The twins are already a month old.

Mon: deli Gyro meat on naan bread w homemade tzatziki sauce, toppings, Dessert - Chocolate cake (sent with us after a visit with husband’s sister, returning from our TN trip) & ice cream
Tues: Baked chicken breast. Roasted cubed kabocha squash & peppers “potato salad” w/ warm mango chutney dressing. Subbed peach jam for the mango chutney (I’d put an almost empty chutney jar back in the fridge…. Sigh) and cashews in place of pepitas.
BAKED egg bake for our breakfasts this week, while awaiting trick-or-treat kids. We got 9 total.
Wed: Crab Delights sauteed in lemon oil with lemon pepper. (Schwan’s frozen) Cheesy mini-breadsticks. Veggie medley with potatoes & sugar snap peas (box).
Thurs: Lunch - Chicken wild rice soup (recipe as a reply below), Garlic bread. The rest of the pound of cooked wild rice got portioned and frozen for future use. Dinner - (from freezer) Chimichangas, Rotel/black bean/ brown rice. BAKED Whole wheat blueberry pecan muffin tops
Fri thru Sun: In Wisconsin with niece and her four little ones; her ER doc spouse is working all weekend.
My husband will be staying here in MN with a YOYO (you’re on your own) list posted on the front of the fridge.

12 Likes

Wild Rice Soup with Chicken
paraphrased and adapted (the half quantities as shown makes 8 servings, I add chicken) From “Radisson South Hotel Wild Rice Soup”, p.99 of “Always on Sunday” cookbook by food columnist Eleanor Ostman (St Paul Pioneer Press)

2 cups cooked wild rice
1 tennis-ball sized onion , diced or 1/2 of a large onion
2 very large fresh mushrooms, diced, or 1 small can mushrooms, drained
4 T. butter
1/2 cup flour
4 cups hot chicken broth; good with turkey broth, too
salt and pepper to taste
1/2 cup skim milk (original recipe says cream or half & half, which I seldom have on hand)
2 tablespoons dry sherry or dry white wine (optional but I always use)
1.5 C. / 12 oz. cooked diced chicken or turkey

Prepare the uncooked wild rice per package directions (I make the full pound in 8-10 C. water). Simmer for 35 - 40 minutes, let stand 30 minutes, drain excess water. Portion/freeze extra cooked rice for future use.

Melt the butter in a soup pot.
Saute the onion and mushroom until onion is fully cooked, about 10 min.
Sprinkle in the flour, stirring, but do not allow it to brown.
Slowly add the hot chicken broth, stir until mixture is well blended.
Add cooked wild rice and chicken, season to taste with salt and pepper, heat thoroughly.
Stir in skim milk (or cream). Add sherry, heat gently, do not boil.

8 Likes

Sounds good!

1 Like

I love that she gives an example of what size onion to use. So much more useful than “medium.”

8 Likes

Lots of cooking and little reporting (except for on WFD) recently. Here’s what’s on tap soon for two adults and a 6 1/2-yo kiddo in Asheville, NC:

Saturday: Swedish meatballs and [mushroom] gravy, egg noodles, and peas, maybe also cucumbers vinaigrette

Sunday: Ottolenghi’s sumac roast chicken (sans pine nuts) with couscous and roasted Brussels sprouts with balsamic glaze and chopped pistachios

Monday: chicken enchilada casserole; election setup in the late afternoon but I’ll try to get this in the oven scheduled to bake while I’m out.

Tuesday: working the election all day; gonna make a tray of Aldi’s spinach-cheese manicotti with meat sauce for reheating, or let them scrounge

Wednesday: kimchi dumplings and tofu miso soup OR pumpkin and cheese ravioli with sage and butter, garden greens; going out for trivia

Thursday: coconut curry chickpeas with pumpkin and lime (gift link), rice, naan, and roasted okra. Leftovers for kiddo if it doesn’t go over

Friday: firecracker shrimp, brown-cauli rice, and steamed sugar snap peas with butter, black vinegar and sweet soy. I will probably make popcorn shrimp for the kiddo with a favorite side.

Saturday: TJ’s bone-in pork chops, refrigerated mashed potatoes, cider gravy, sauteed apples, and probably the remaining Brussels sprouts pan fried

Sunday: chicken piccata pasta (maybe adding some half and half for a less acidic, thicker sauce?) , garden greens if there are any left

I also want to make beef stew and chicken/turkey paprikas soon. Have a delicious week!

17 Likes

Last week I did not plan. Like, not at all. My parents were here till Tues, then I was busy recovering and had no energy to either shop or cook. We had birria from Costco one night (just so-so), and I made tamale pie from Dinner In One (COTM) because we had all the ingredients, but otherwise… no planning. No leftovers either, which meant scrounging was a necessity. I think I had eggs one night?

Aiming for better this week, which will be oddly busy with some afternoon/evening appointments and rehearsal for the school musical.

Sun: beef goulash but probably without the dumplings, and bread on the side. I had a note to add carrots and parsnips, so this will be a one-dish meal.

Mon: chili cheese fries (a Food Network Magazine recipe), or chili with cheese and fries for those who prefer deconstructed dishes. Veggies on the site.

Tues: DS is going to see “Frozen” (Broadway in Boston) as an after-hours school trip. DH and I will go out for dinner somewhere DS hates, not sure where. Wish me luck staying awake to pick him up at 11pm.

Weds: spanakopita chicken meatballs and pita for them / rice pilaf for me

Thurs: a new dish that I’m calling “pizza pasta” - basically, pasta with your choice of pizza toppings. Pretty much that means red sauce and shredded Italian cheese, ricotta, and pepperoni. (new to our menu, definitely not something I created as it’s basically unbaked baked ziti!)

Fri: leftovers

14 Likes

The OP mentioned freezer inventory, and this week is certainly dependent upon ours. I’m craving spicy comfort food, but also easy meals. It’s a good combination for freezer diving.

For two adults in San Diego:

Breakfasts: I might pick up various indulgences from a bakery after early morning bloodwork on Tuesday. It’s that time of the semester. :joy:

S: (tonight) takeout - teriyaki chicken with macaroni salad

Su: Pasta with chicken, tomatoes, spinach, and garlic in a light cream sauce

M: Chicken tortilla soup, using stock, veggies, and enchilada sauce (my quick cheat) from the freezer - soup

T: Curry beef with peas from the freezer

W: TJs green chile cheese tamale with salad - vegetarian

Th: Shrimp fried rice (postponed from a few weeks ago), using rice, shrimp and veggies from the freezer - seafood

F: Chile colorado, with beef and beans from the freezer

Have a good week!

15 Likes

Hi everyone! Hope you’re all well. It’s been a busy week here. Here is what we ate:

Mon: roasted tarragon chicken with turnips and caramelized onions (COTM) over polenta

Tues: old school tacos, slaw, avocado

Wed: spiced chicken soup with vegetables and couscous (COTM) - one of the best chicken soups I’ve made or had.

Thurs: carry out

Fri: penne with salami butter, fennel salad

Sat: sushi party for straight A report card.

Sun: LLD cooked pasta with broccoli and anchovies. He started the meal with braesola and parmesan toasts, and that was amazing.

Been on a baking jag - bread every few days (including a crazily delicious no knead cinnamon raisin bread), and cardamom cake from COTM.

Have a great week!

16 Likes

Congratulations to Lulu for the straight A’s!

5 Likes

Cooking for 3 in Ontario. I’ve been cooking more at the beginning of the week, lately.

I need to use that head of cabbage so I will try to make a cabbage soup today.

Monday: tuna casserole, roasted spaghetti squash, maybe an kale-arugula frittata using greens from the garden, Waldorf salad.

Tue: pork shoulder, probably porchetta seasoning

Wed: repurpose some pork. Maybe rice?

Thu: lemon oregano chicken and potatoes

Fri: halibut, to be determined

Sun: take-out, to be determined

13 Likes

I would love to learn more/have a recipe!

1 Like

Here is the recipe: https://www.jocooks.com/recipes/no-knead-cinnamon-raisin-bread/

The outside raisins did burn somewhat, but it was still wonderful. I don’t even much like raisin bread normally, but I couldn’t stop thinking about this one, and wanting another slice. LLD feels the same way, and also loved this - he said it was almost like having cake. It did bleed (sugar - either from the brown sugar or the raisins) a bit, so know that going in and don’t use a pot that isn’t easily cleaned. I will probably do a shorter time on the uncovered portion of the cooking, but everyone’s oven is different.

5 Likes

Yay, thank you!!

2 Likes

Greetings, People.

Digging into fall. The leaves on the fruit trees which we planted a few years ago are putting on an intense display of color this year – a nice treat for the eyes out our back slider. Aside from dealing with open enrollment (DH qualifies for Medicare this year – yay!) our efforts are focused on the upcoming holidays and all the tradition they bring. They’ll be some baking this week. Planned meals for the near future include a lot of soups, braises and otherwise comforting foods.

Cooking for two adults in the PNW.

FRI: Lion’s Head Soup with bok choy. I like to serve this over steamed rice.

SAT: New England style fish chowder. Green salad.

SUN: Chicken-and-spinach meatballs, served with veggies in broth over orzo.

MON: Persian lentil soup. Mid-eastern inspired lamb and potato kotlets. Homemade pita. Chopped salad.

TUE: Greek-marinated pork chops (need to research). Couscous or Greek spuds. Chopped salad.

WED: Patty melt on homemade onion bread. Green salad.

THUR: A repeat of NYT’s cheesy mac and kale with Italian sausage.

15 Likes

Akis Petrezikis never lets me down. https://akispetretzikis.com/en/recipe/232/xoirines-mprizoles-lemonates-me-patates-ston-foyrno

1 Like

I am now back to menu planning after coming down with covid the Wednesday before last and spent six days at home self isolating. This is the second time I’ve had it and it was shorter but worse than the last time. Achy sweaty flu like symptoms the first day then the worse headache I’ve ever had on days two and three and a loss of appetite for the duration. I seem to be getting back on my feet now. I ate a fettucine al pesto for dinner last night with a tomato and COTC on the side and I ate all of it so I guess I am feeling better! :slight_smile: I have lots of oatmeal in the fridge and I made some leek soup at the beginning so breakfasts and lunches were covered. Dinners were foraged but trying to eat something when you are really not hungry takes a herculean effort and I lost 2 lbs. in the short time I was sick. I am still EXHAUSTED though. I returned to work on Tuesday but I bumped my two days in the office from Tuesday and Thursday to Wednesday and Friday. I wanted to ease back into work on Tuesday and yesterday we got freezing rain and ice pellets so I was glad I didn’t have to deal with the walk to work. (I could take the bus but I still have to walk to the bus stop…) I now have a plan penciled in for the upcoming week for a solo diner in Ottawa so we’ll see how it goes.

Today: take out lunch from the new shawarma restaurant in the food court. I am having a “sandwich combo” which includes a wrap with your protein of choice (I am having felafel), a large amount of potatoes and a beverage (water for me). Two people behind me were ordering a chicken platter - just the one since they would be sharing it - and the portion was HUGE. I didn’t even know they made take out containers that big! :slight_smile: Tonight I will have an Asian style slaw for dinner which consists of cabbage, carrots, and peppers with a peanut sauce.

Saturday: Pork chow mein.

Sunday: Black bean beef and vegetable stirfry, rice on the side.

Monday: A statutory holiday for me. It’s Remembrance Day in Canada on Saturday so the federal government (where I work) has the following Monday off. (I believe it’s a regular work day for those who work in the private sector.) I will be spending the day at an eye appointment for a regular checkup in the morning then shopping after.

Tuesday: A new favourite recipe: Coconut poached fish with bok choy from NYT. I managed to access the newspaper through my public library and I couldn’t figure out how to find a gift link. But if any of you have access to it, I would recommend this recipe. The only change I made was by adding a little red curry paste.

Wednesday: Stuffed green pepper, side veggies tbd.

Thursday: A screening with the Ottawa Film Society. I will have dinner out before if it looks like I can stay awake until 8:30! :slight_smile: Otherwise I will do a freezer dive and stay home for the evening.

I hope everyone has a healthy week.

17 Likes

Glad you are feeling better. The fatigue lasted a lot longer than the symptoms in my case.

7 Likes