Weekly Menu Planning - March 2024

Wow - I’m tired, in empathy, just reading that – good job on the prep ahead and also catering to tired kid’s meal request.

7 Likes

Thanks for the link to the peanut noodles recipe. I made some tonight to go with the skimpy amount of leftover Chinese takeout chicken and green beans. Another time, I’ll omit the optional lime juice – that was one flavor “note” too many for us.

1 Like

I did it this way, plus a later cornstarch/kirschwasser slurry that my mom used to do. It was very good! I don’t have a fondue pot, so we plugged our portable induction burner in tabletop and it worked great.

6 Likes

Good luck and fingers crossed with the college decisions!

2 Likes

We have a bunch of boxes in my mom’s freezer, and last visit I suggested using some for pasta, but it was declined because “too heavy”. I guess a bunch of vegetables and bread + some cheese vs. all the cheese plus a pile of pasta makes sense… and that’s why my mom will forever eat more healthfully than I do :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

We use a ceramic bowl and periodically pop it in the microwave to reheat :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

They’d be insane not to love frito pie!

6 Likes

Sunday
Roasted souvlaki -ish lamb chunks
Curried coconut apricot beans
Milk bread
Corn

Monday

Roasted chicken thighs. I’m getting tired of it but one of my dining companions is off sauces and salt, and lemon oregano roast chicken, rosemary roast chicken or lemon marjoram thyme roast chicken seem to be my go-tos for salt -free roast chicken.

I had been enjoying some Vietnamese roast chickens a while back but those all contain more sodium. I guess I could try the ginger-lemongrass angle without adding any soy sauce or fish sauce.

Mushroom parmesan strata
Kale somehow

Tuesday
Probably leftover chicken into a noodle dish

Wed
Beef Bavette steak, first time to attempt it

Thu
Probably Italian sausage

Fri
Good Friday
Fish to be determined. Dining companion seemed to think the fresh Atlantic salmon cooked last week was salty. I’m probably going to purchase halibut or some other white fish for Friday.

Saturday
No idea.

Sunday
Easter means lamb, roast potatoes and maybe spanakopita. Easter Bread.

10 Likes

Mini Crock Pot users here!

3 Likes

DS not-so-politely requested a moratorium on chili about a month ago. Apparently my view that different recipes / styles were different dishes didn’t really resonate with him. So, we’ve taken a break… and now we’re back.

6 Likes

Re. the roast chicken dilemma, if you have any of the Penzey’s blends (or a store near you), they’re generally salt-free. We like Justice (heavy on the alliums), Arizona Dreaming (southwestern), and… hm… something else is escaping me right now. The sample-sized packs are enough for a whole chicken, I think.

3 Likes

Thanks!

I like Penzey’s, but I haven’t bought any in a long time.

I used to buy Penzey’s blends when they had an outpost inside Grand Central’s market.

I have a lot of spices and blends, probably 300 bottles, pouches and jars. I am working through a lot of stuff.

I’ll google some Penzey’s copycat recipes because I probably have all the ingredients.

I am intrigued by Tzardust, which I have not purchased.

2 Likes

I was disappointed with my copycat Tzardust - recipe on Food52. People seem to rave about it so my expectations were elevated by hype.

1 Like

Roast browned chicken pieces over (heated in the same skillet to boiling before putting in baking dish, as fast-start) - rice, chopped onions, broth (salt-free), orange zest, parsley and raisins . It’s a nice combo that makes a flavorful pilaf in the oven.

3 Likes

Thanks! Sounds good!

I have made a Greek lemon chicken with rice baked underneath a few times.

Tonight, I roasted some thighs, and used the defatted jus from the pan and some dry vermouth in a fresh tomato risotto . I was able to control the texture of the rice a little better, making a risotto on the stovetop.

Tonight’s salt-free roasted chicken thighs were seasoned with lemon juice, paprika, thyme, ground coriander, pepper and marjoram.

3 Likes

The April discussion is available when most of your plan extends beyond Sunday.

3 Likes

Hi everyone! We made it through the week. There was good news and bad news (no from some of her top choices, but yes from others). Now for a month of trying to choose. To everyone else going through the process, my heart goes out to you. This is tough to watch your kid go through. That said, it is a gorgeous Easter day in Chapel Hill, and there is no bad decision for Lulu. Yay! Here is what we ate:

Mon: sweet pepper and cheddar clafoutis (Dinner in French), salad, French rolls

Tues: penne with salami butter (I Dream of Dinner …), fennel salad

Wed: chicken soup with mushrooms and celery, and fried garlic (Dining In) over rice. Big hit with the family

Thurs: carry out; chocolate chip crispy ranger cookies (Snacking Bakes) to celebrate college news

Fri: trashy fish tacos with cabbage/cilantro salad and lime crema

Sat: LLD away, bean & artichoke hearts with garlic over toasted sourdough

Sun: not very Eastery, but we’re hoping the burrito place is open for carry out. If not, homemade wonton soup with spinach

Hope you’re all celebrating the way that makes you happiest. Have a wonderful week!

17 Likes

Actuals for the last week of March, cooking for 2 in MN. With a mid-week visit to the WI niece and grand-nieces/nephew who also had my sister (her other Aunt) & spouse visiting for the week. She’d found a lightly-used twin stroller for sale online near me and I served as pickup and delivery service. Its rolling motion worked amazingly well to soothe 2 teething 6-month olds.

Mon - lunch - Mushroom Swiss burgers, Sunchips, spinach. Dinner - Oriental salad (Ramen noodles, chicken, coleslaw with sesame seeds, almonds)
Tues - Soup, salad and breadsticks. From freezer Chicken wild rice soup and cheese mini breadsticks. Repeat Oriental salad (Ramen noodles, chicken coleslaw)
Wed - Tilapia, Mac & Cheese pizza, peas (all from freezer)
Thurs - TO/FROM WI. Niece made one of my favorites for lunch- shredded BBQ chicken on buns. And a supper of assorted leftovers (a pot roast rollup and tossed salad for me) help clear space in her fridge and reclaim storage dishes.
Fri - Smoked turkey baked chimichangas to use up coleslaw
Baked - bread machine buns (for future ham & Swiss sandwiches. I’m also planning to try (weird-sounding) Maryland chicken sandwiches - with sauteed banana.)
Sat -Chimichangas, guac, red grapes
Today - EASTER Ham with Joy of Cooking’s Spirit Glaze, asparagus with lemony one-egg hollandaise, ripe olives, devilled egg, packaged mashed sweet potatoes (Kevin’s brand), cold pea salad, whole wheat dinner buns.
Lamb cake with strawberries & whipped cream.

Most of the 4.5 pound ham leftovers are now frozen. A few slices are in the fridge for easy meals this week.

11 Likes

Congrats to Lulu and her parents! That there is no bad decision for Lulu is great news and I hope the disappointments fade…and that it feels positive to have the anticipation finally over. Will you be doing some trips to check out those in the running?

(And I hope there wasn’t any kind of disturbance in your neighborhood after the UNC loss in the NCAA).

Thanks for the reminder of that savory clafoutis from Dinner in French!

1 Like

That clafoutis dinner was so pleasant, and easy. I sub olives for the ham.

Thanks so much Madrid. Each of the schools has admitted students day on the same weekend. Makes it very difficult. She seems to have decided against the West Coast, which will make that weekend a lot less insane, but still very rushed.

Amazingly, things were verrry quite around here at basketball time. And UNC is out now, so we’re off the hook for the month!

5 Likes