Turkish recipes

Please mention any Turkish recipes you like, or Turkish foods you like to prepare.

I’ve been looking at Turkish güveç recipes, cousin to the Bulgarian (gyuvetch), Romanian (gvetch), Greek (giouvetsi) , Serbian (djuvetch) and other Balkan slow-braised stews…

The main Turkish dish I prepare regularly is imam bayildi.

I’m also a big fan of manti, and have recently made some lazy manti type pastas, with a Turkish-spiced meat sauce and yogurt.

1 Like

I’ve used quite a few recipes from a woman on youtube. I think she is Turkish. I don’t know if this is authentic Turkish cuisine or not, but I’ve enjoyed quite a few of her creations.
Her channel is…
enfes yemekler tarifleri

1 Like

This lentil/eggplant/pomegranate molasses stew is a favorite in our household. I’ve gotten compliments on it by people who had previously disliked eggplant.

4 Likes

This dish is in regular rotation at our house:

2 Likes

My DIL makes that one, and manti.

2 Likes

Love these eggs, made them a few times:

This is also yummy:

Planning to do this next week:

3 Likes

I love Turkish breakfasts.

4 Likes

@cci

I had to print out the red lentil soup recipe - thanks for the link.

2 Likes

Same! And anything eggs! :blush:

1 Like

Most welcome, hope you will like it!

1 Like

I use a Turkish cookbook “Istanbul and Beyond” by Robyn Eckhardt. As a matter of fact we have leftovers of the simple to prepare lamb peppers and scallions dish in the fridge right now.

2 Likes

I’ve made Clifford A. Wright’s Imam Bayildi recipe and really liked it. It’s eggplant with olive oil, onions, tomato, etc.

He also has a bunch more Turkish recipes on his site, several of which are on my list to try.

1 Like

That reminds me that I often make a byaldi with grean beans in late summer.

4 Likes

Oops I i apparently was thinking zeytinagli, or lathera.

5 Likes

Imam bayildi means when the Imam fainted. It has a story to it, he fainted because so much olive oil was used in the preparation of the decadent eggplant dish.

It usually is presented as stuffed eggplants when you order it at a restaurant. I have some recipes that appear more like a briam /ratatouille/ tourlou tourlou, with the eggplant chopped up.

Not sure how the Turks use the term lathera. In Greek, it could mean any dish cooked in the way you cooked yours above, with lots of olive oil.

3 Likes

Episodes 5, 6 & 7 of this series cover Turkey. Worth a watch if the link works in your region:

3 Likes

Romanian here - we also have this dish, no surprise since there was strong influence from both Turks and Greeks. Usually made in the heat of the summer when green beans are in season. Either have it with crusty bread for (religious) fasting days, or add chicken to it. Lots of garlic, olive oil and good tomatoes are needed :).

3 Likes

OMG!! I tried this today. This was incredibly delicious and I will make it again.
I made a couple of small changes (e.g. used Harissa powder in the diced vegetable mix instead of crushed red pepper; oven-baked the dish at 375 F instead of stovetop) but otherwise stayed close to the recipe. Fantastic!

1 Like

Whatever it’s called, it looks delicious!

2 Likes
2 Likes