What’s For Dinner #87 - the Holiday Menu Planning Edition - November 2022

I made black bean slider burgers with leftover taco filling. With a TJ’s Southwestern slaw. Meh.

14 Likes

I had a similar experience when I caramelized several pounds of onions in our one-bedroom apartment galley kitchen, and then made French onion soup. I couldn’t even stomach eating it! Ugh!

2 Likes

" DUM PUKHT, Markham " - Impressively delicious and well spiced authentic Northern Indian Cuisine from a place with a pseudo - lewd and lascivious sounding name!😝🫢
Take-out the following:

• Navrathan ( Vegetable & Paneer ) Korma
  • Goat Rogan Josh
  • Saag Lamb

Note: Pricing posted on online menu has not been updated. Expect to pay about $3 more per dish cf Restaurant menu!

12 Likes

Turkey repurposed in this quick turkey pasta recipe. I used fresh frozen corn and added peas for color. Less on the heavy cream, added some pasta water, and added a pinch of salt because the pancetta didn’t add enough saltiness for me. Oh, and more than “2 dashes” of Italian seasoning. Because that’s just plain dumb for a meal that is supposed to serve 4. :expressionless:

15 Likes

German-American dinner @casa lingua tonight: roasted turkey breast, hot crash potatoes, braised red cabbage, and mixed salad with creamy herb dressing.

Wegmans honey-brined turkey breast had been drying on a rack since earlier today, the potatoes kinda fell apart but were perfectly crispy (fried in the remains of last year’s duck fat, which means I’ll have to roast one again soon).

As for the cabbage – I was gonna be lazy and just pick up a jar of Kühne brand in the glass, but the nearest supermarket only carried a brand whose second ingredient was HFCS. No thx.

Fresh, shredded red cabbage was available, however. I rendered a diced up slice of DiBruno’s bacon & added a lil duck fat for good measure. Sweat half a sliced onion and half a grated apple, then added the cabbage. Salt, a dash of sugar, a splash of red wine and balsamic, and a few cloves – which I immediately regretted when tasting the cabbage a few hours later & naturally biting into one of those damn cloves. I hated it when that happened to me as a kid, and I hate it now. I removed all the stupid cloves. Salad not pictured. It was a new-to-me lettuce that was a major PITA to eat - similar to arugula in shape.

18 Likes

Tonight’s dinner was this Turkish eggplant and lentil stew recommended by @maccrogenoff in this thread.

I made a few tweaks to try my new Harissa powder and oven-baked it instead of cooking on the stovetop.

This was SOOO good! Didn’t have any naan or pita or other suitable flatbread, so we ate it with lavishly buttered WW toast which was another layer of delicious. Even the picky family members loved it. We are all looking forward to the leftovers tomorrow.

No pictures, was too busy snarfing it down.

Will make it again for sure. I highly recommend this dish.

10 Likes
5 Likes

Soup and salad. Turkey noodle soup, broth made from the turkey breast carcass. Salad of mixed greens, little gem, tomato, red onion, mushrooms, ranch dressing, warm bread and butter. And more leftovers.

18 Likes

Leftover cabbage and kielbasa soup from the freezer.

14 Likes

That sounds very delicious. Did you use the full 2/3 c oil?

I made a double batch of the dish and used the 2/3 C oil for that, so ‘yes’ and ‘no’ to your question :smile:

Gotcha, so effectively halved and it was still very good?

Yes it was delicious with the oil halved.

I don’t think the oil scales up fully if you double the dish …

1 Like

I know! Their menu actually features a few of these dishes!
https://www.dumpukht.ca/menu.html

We’re being miserly with fats and calories at the moment. So I’m glad to hear a lighter spin still works!

Brown lentils?

I had some red chori (adzuki?) so I used those.

I think you get brown lentils in the regular supermarket, it must be quite easy to find. Or use whatever is most alike.

I boiled the lentils with Better than Bouillon and a little red pepper (cayenne?) powder for added taste.

For the diced vegetable mixture I added a tsp or so of my newly acquired Harissa powder.

But I think the recipe as originally written will be great too. The pomegranate molasses adds such a great flavour punch.

2 Likes

dinner

Shrimp salad on avocado. Roasted romanesco with za’atar. Life could be worse!

14 Likes

Good calls. Thanks for all the detail!

You’re welcome.
Do circle back and report if you make it.

1 Like

I have not had pasta in quite some time. Getting ready for the snow tomorrow night. Supposed to be a good s

torm. Any way . Two tomatoes seeded , Some chopped garlic, and a couple Monterey bay anchovies for the sauce .
Sauteed prawns tossed with the tomatoes.
A couple halved anchovies on top .
This was spot on and so darn good . I will definitely be making this soon again. Cheers

21 Likes